NCAA March Madness for men’s and women’s college basketball is unfolding for 2022! In addition to filling out your brackets, New York bettors will be able to get in on the action by researching the best March Madness odds and placing bets online with their favorite sportsbook.
This year’s men’s and women’s tournaments are down to the Final Four, and the last three games in each tournament will be played Friday through Monday.
The Final Four of the men’s tournament are comprised of Kansas, Villanova, Duke, and North Carolina. In the women’s field, the Final Four are made up of South Carolina, Stanford, Connecticut, and Louisville.
Here’s everything New York bettors need to know about betting on the 2022 NCAA March Madness Men’s Basketball Championship.
Current 2022 NCAA March Madness Odds
South Carolina is a relatively heavy favorite to win the women’s championship at all New York sportsbooks.
Where Can I Bet On March Madness 2022 Online In New York?
Eight of the nine New York sportsbooks will feature men’s college basketball odds – only one will not be launched in time for tournament action. Gaming operators will feature varying markets, but all of them will feature games to bet on and futures for conference champions and outright winners for the major tournament. There is less availability on betting markets for the 2022 Women’s NCAA Basketball Championship, but some sportsbooks will provide odds to wager on.
- DraftKings Sportsbook is currently legal in most states where sports betting apps are legal, and it’s now available to New York bettors as well.
- Current DraftKings NY bonus offer: New York bettors who deposit at least $5 into their accounts can get a free bet worth $50. DraftKings also offers a 20% deposit worth up to $1,000, meaning you’d have to deposit $5,000 to get the maximum match.
- Caesars Sportsbook operates in New York since sports betting apps went live on January 8, 2022. They have customized futures and allow for most games to be bet on for college basketball events taking place in New York.
- Current Caesars NY bonus offer: Caesars Sportsbook is offering first bet insurance of up to $1,100. Click here to claim your sign-up bonus.
- FanDuel Sportsbook is available in New York as of January 8, 2022.
- Current FanDuel NY bonus offer: You can receive $150 instantly in site credit by placing a $5 bet on college basketball. This replaces the traditional welcome offer of a $1,000 risk-free bet through the entirety of the NCAA men’s basketball tournament (through April 4).
- BetMGM Sportsbook is available in several states and launched in New York on Jan. 17, 2022.
- Current BetMGM NY bonus offer: You can receive a risk-free first bet worth up to $1,000. Use BetMGM bonus code SHARP to sign-up.
- BetRivers NY Sportsbook went live on January 8, 2022. It’s available in nearby states, New Jersey and Connecticut, as SugarHouse Sportsbook. Bettors can place wagers on events (games and futures) taking place in New York.
- Current BetRivers NY bonus offer: BetRivers NY will match your first deposit dollar-for-dollar up to $250. Claim your sign-up bonus here.
- PointsBet NY sportsbook launched near the end of January 2022 (specifically Jan. 24). Markets are limited with options for the overall outright winner and teams to reach the Final Four. Women’s basketball odds are not available.
- Current PointsBet NY bonus offer: There are two risk-free bets for new users up to $2,000 total. One is for a standard fixed-odds bet while another is for the unique “PointsBetting” feature.
Can I Bet On New York Teams During College Basketball Tournaments?
Unfortunately, the rules to bet on local teams in New York still apply after the regular season. So when Syracuse or St. John’s is playing in the ACC or Big East tournament, respectively, they cannot be wagered on. The same goes for if they make the NCAA tournament for the men’s or women’s championship. Other conferences affected include the America East, Atlantic-10, CAA, MAAC, NEC, and Patriot League.
Here is the full list of teams that cannot be bet on in New York:
- Albany Great Danes
- Army Black Knights
- Binghamton Bearcats
- Buffalo Bulls
- Canisius Golden Griffins
- Colgate Raiders
- Columbia Lions
- Cornell Big Red
- Fordham Rams
- Hofstra Pride
- Iona Gaels
- Long Island University Sharks
- Marist Red Foxes
- Manhattan Jaspers
- Niagara Purple eagles
- Siena Saints
- Stony Brook Seawolves
- St. Bonaventure Bonnies
- St. Francis Terriers
- St. John’s Red Storm
- Syracuse Orange
- Wagner Seahawks
How To Place Online NCAA March Madness 2022 Bets
Setting up an account with an online sportsbook in New York is simple and the process for most online sportsbooks is similar.
Follow below for an example looking at the steps to use DraftKings Sportsbook.
Downloading The NY DraftKings Sportsbook App
DraftKings offers both iOS and Android users a mobile app you can find when claiming our welcome promotion. The process requires registration and the app will download on the respective operating system. You can also access their sportsbook as a desktop or mobile website.
Registering For A DraftKings NY Sportsbook Account
To register for a new account, you’ll need to provide some personal information such as:
- Last four digits of your social security number
- E-mail address
After DraftKings verifies your information, you’re ready for the next step.
Depositing Money Into Your DraftKings Sportsbook NY Account
There are a variety of convenient ways to fund your DraftKings account and here are some of the more popular options:
- Online banking
- Debit card
- Credit card
Placing 2022 March Madness Bets Online With DraftKings Sportsbook
Until we get closer to the start of the 2022 NCAA tournament, you won’t see betting options for it on the homepage. Luckily, finding and placing March Madness bets on the DraftKings sportsbook app is simple with the following steps.
- On the home screen of the DraftKings app, hit “All Sports” on the bottom navigation bar.
- Under “Basketball” open the “College Basketball” tab.
- Underneath the search bar, look for “Team Futures”.
- The “Winner” tab is where you’ll find odds for teams to win the 2022 March Madness tournament outright. You can also wager on teams to make the Final Four.
After you’ve found the team you want to wager on, simply click on their name, enter the amount you’re comfortable betting, and hit “Place Bet” and you’re done!
Once all of the teams are set and the games are scheduled, you’ll also be able to wager on individual games. Remember, you will not be able to place bets on in-state college teams. So, Syracuse or St. John’s cannot be selected as a futures bet or their games cannot be wagered on.
If a New York team is able to win a national championship, then New York bettors may get credit for picking the runner-up. Sportsbooks will have varying rules on this scenario, so check terms and conditions to find out what happens if this takes place.
Withdrawing Money From Your DraftKings NY Sportsbook Account
The easiest ways to get money from your DraftKings account are through your online banking account and PayPal. DraftKings does have other methods available, but those two are the easiest and most convenient.
How NCAA March Madness 2022 Odds Are Calculated
Since the actual games for 2022 March Madness have yet to be set, the only wagers you can currently place are on teams to win the tournament or to make the Final Four.
An example would be placing a bet on UCLA to win the 2022 college basketball National Championship. Let’s say UCLA’s odds are +1600 on FanDuel Sportsbook.
If you placed a bet of $20 and UCLA ends up winning the entire tournament, you would win $320 plus your $20 wager for a net payout of $340. If any other team wins, you would lose your $20 to the FanDuel sportsbook.
Once games are set, you’ll also be able to place standard bets, such as moneyline, points spread, and point totals.
2022 March Madness Odds And Betting
Many of the bets you’re familiar with will be able to be placed leading up to and throughout The Big Dance.
2022 March Madness Bets On Individual Games
- Moneyline bets – Placing a moneyline bet during March Madness is simply picking which team you think will win the game in question. Teams with a – next to their odds is the favorite, while + odds signify the underdog.
- Point spread – With point spread bets, teams are either “getting” or “giving” points depending on who is favored. Let’s say you’re placing a point spread bet on Duke and the line is -8.5. This means Duke has to win by 9 or more points for you to win your wager. If Duke wins by 8 points or fewer or loses the game outright, you would lose your bet.
- Point totals – This type of bet is wagering on whether two teams will combine for more than or less than (over/under) a set number of points. If there is a total of 103.5, anything total score of 103 points or less would be a win for the under, while any total of 104 or higher would hit the over.
- Parlays – A parlay is when you combine two or more bets in a single bet slip. The reason for doing this is the odds are higher and therefore the potential payout is greater than wagering on games individually. The downside, however, is all of your bets have to win for you to get the higher payout.
- For instance, let’s say you wanted to parlay bet Duke -8.5 and Purdue -7.5. If either team fails to cover the spread, you lose your wager.
- Some sportsbooks offer same game or single game parlays as well. You could build a parlay where you’re wagering on Gonzaga to win, Drew Timme to score more than 15.5 points, and Chet Holmgren to have less than 7.5 rebounds.
What Is A March Madness Futures Bet?
Futures bets are exactly what they sound like – wagers that bettors won’t know the outcome of until later in the season.
For March Madness 2022, the futures bets you can place center around who will win the tournament and who will make the Final Four. You can place these anytime during the season and throughout March Madness as well.
What Is A March Madness Prop Bet?
Prop bets are bets you can place that typically don’t have a direct outcome on a particular game. The amount and variety of March Madness prop bets will vary between each online sportsbook, but here are some examples. At this time, New York prohibits wagers on college player prop bets. However, here’s what to expect if that changes in the future:
- Player Props
- For March Madness player prop bets, you’re wagering on individual players and their performance throughout a game. These can be bets on the number of points a player scores, the number of rebounds a player has, or the number of three-point shots a player will make.
- Other Prop Bets
- Which team will win a specific bracket region
- Which conference is the winning team from
- If you place a bet on the winning team to be from the Big 10 conference, for example, it would cover all Big 10 teams (Purdue, Ohio State, Michigan, etc).
- How many number 1 seeds will make the Final Four
Strategies For 2022 March Madness Betting
While everyone loves a Cinderella story in the NCAA Tournament, betting on them to win the Big Dance is bad for your wallet.
- 64% of all College Basketball National Champions have been number 1 seeds.
- Since 2000, only two 2 seeds have won the championship.
- Since 2000, only three 3 seeds have won the national title.
- Since 2000, only one team has won the NCAA tournament that was not a top-3 seeded team (Connecticut in 2014 as a 7 seed)
Paying attention to the status of teams entering March Madness is important as well. Knowing if there are any injuries, player opt-outs, or how the team has been playing leading up to the tournament are all factors that can give you an edge.
Betting Odds For 2022 NCAA March Madness FAQs
Yes. New Yorkers can legally bet on March Madness as long as they aren’t wagering on in-state schools. While some of the legislation has been confusing, bettors can place wagers on events hosted in New York. Sportsbooks will offer different market options, so check multiple platforms to see what’s available.
Currently for New York bettors, there are eight online sportsbooks where you can place 2022 March Madness bets. Popular platforms include DraftKings, Caesars Sportsbook, and FanDuel.
The legal gambling age in New York is 21.
Yes, live or in-game betting is legal for March Madness.
New Yorkers can place player prop bets as well as team prop bets.
Gonzaga is the current betting favorite to win 2022 March Madness.
March Madness 2022 for the Men’s College Basketball Championship kicks off with “Selection Sunday” on March 13. The First Four games will be held March 15-16 with the first official March Madness games starting on March 17. The First Four games for the Women’s College Basketball Championship take place a day later on March 16.