- The Yankees have hit eight home runs in a game twice in franchise history. The first time was in 1939, when six Yankees contributed to the total. Joe DiMaggio and Babe Dahlgren each hit two in that game. The second time was in 2007, when only one Yankee hit two home runs in the game. Name him.
- On May 24, 1936, Tony Lazzeri became the first American League player to have 11 RBIs in one game, a record that stands to this day. That same game he also became the first player to accomplish another feat. Name that other accomplishment.
- Match the uniform number on the right with the player who wore it in his first game as a Yankee:
- Don Mattingly #6
- Mickey Mantle #38
- Robinson Cano #18
- Whitey Ford #14
- Yogi Berra #46
- Name the players who made up the “core four” who won five World Series championships in a five-year span.
- Jim Leyritz tied Game 4 of the 1996 World Series with his memorable three-run home run in the top of the eighth, but who drove in the go-ahead run in the top of the 10th?
- How many hits did Joe DiMaggio have during his record 56-game hitting streak? Bonus: How many home runs did DiMaggio hit during his record streak?
- On June 17, 1978, Ron Guidry set a Yankees record when he struck out 18 in a complete game 4–0 win over the California Angels. How many pitches did he throw in that game?
- When Don Larsen pitched his perfect game against the Broooklyn Dodgers in Game 5 of the 1956 World Series, how many times did he go to a three-ball count among the 27 batters he faced?
- The Yankees have had 19 walkoff postseason wins, and 18 players have accounted for these hits. Name the only player to have done it twice with home runs. Double Bonus: How many of the 19 walkoff postseason wins were decided by home runs? How many Yankees pitchers have hit home runs in postseason play?
- On July 1, 2004, the Yankees played the Boston Red Sox in one of the most exciting regular season games in franchise history. The game is known for Derek Jeter diving into the stands to make a play and coming out with his face all bloodied. The Yankees scored twice in the bottom of the 13th inning to beat Boston, 5–4. Who had the walkoff hit to win the game? Bonus: Who tied the game for the Yankees with a two-out RBI double?
* * *
Excerpted from So You Think You’re a New York Yankees Fan?, Copyright © 2017 by Howie Karpin, Published by Sports Publishing, an imprint of Skyhorse Publishing, Inc.