NEW YORK YANKEES NOTES –
• The Yankees won their season-high fifth straight game, their longest winning streak since eight in-a-row from 8/28-9/4/10…have won 15 of their last 19 contests…improved to 28-12 (.700) since 5/17…are now a season-high 17 games over .500…finished the homestand 5-1.
• The Yankees have won 11 of their last 13 home games, including a season-high five straight.
• The Yankees recorded their third shutout of the season (also 5/30 at Oakland, 5-0; and 6/11 vs. Cleveland, 4-0)…blanked the Brewers for the first time since 7/19/97 at County Stadium (8-0).
• The Yankees completed their sixth series sweep of the season – matching their total from all of 2010 – and second of more than two games at home (also 6/14-16 vs. Texas)…swept the Brewers for the first time since 6/6-8/97 (when Milwaukee was a member of the American League).
• The Yankees improved their Major League-best record in day games this season to 23-4 (.852)
• The Yankees stole four bases, their sixth game with at least 4SB this season…had three such games all of last year…have stolen 12 consecutive bases without being caught. …improved to 19-8 in series finales in 2011.
• The Yankees struck out a season-high 14 batters, their most in a nine-inning game since 9/23/09 at Los Angeles-AL (15K).
• The Yankees improved to 4-2 all-time in Interleague play vs. Milwaukee…have now won their last 10 home games – and 14 of their last 15 – vs. Milwaukee dating back August 1995…are now 11-4 (.733) in Interleague play in 2011, tied for the best such winning pct. in the Majors this season.
• In 19 games since 6/10, the Yankees have scored 115R on 181H, averaging 6.05R/G and 9.53H/G…Yankees pitchers own a 2.98 ERA (172.0IP, 57ER) over the same stretch…have defeated their opponent by at least 4R nine times during that span.
• LHP CC Sabathia tossed 7.2 scoreless innings (6H, 2BB, 13K), defeating his former team and winning his 11th game of the season to remain tied with Justin Verlander for the Major League lead…is 8-1 with a 2.70 ERA (70.0IP, 21ER) over his last nine starts since 5/19 and 11-3 with a 3.18 ERA (104.2IP, 37ER) over his last 14 starts since 4/23 after going winless in his first four starts…tied his career high in strikeouts (also 9/14/07 w/Cleveland vs. Kansas City)…marked the most K’s by a Yankee since Roger Clemens fanned 13 on 6/3/02 vs. Baltimore…the most by a Yankees lefthander since David Wells had 13K on 9/1/98 vs. Oakland.
11), marking the longest such streak in the Majors since Tom Seaver from 1967-77.
Has now recorded at least 11 wins in each of his first 11 seasons to begin his Major League career (2001-
• 1B Mark Teixeira (1-for-4) hit his 300th career home run in the third inning…was his Major League-leading 25th home run this season (with game action remaining today)…matches his most home runs in a season prior to the All-Star break (also 2005).
• C Francisco Cervelli (3-for-4) had two 2-out RBI singles and is now batting .383 (23-for-60) with RISP and two outs in his career.
Has now reached the 25HR plateau in each of his first nine Major League seasons (2003-11)…according to Elias, is just the third player in Baseball history to accomplish the feat, joining Eddie Mathews (11 seasons) and Albert Pujols (10).
MILWAUKEE BREWERS NOTES–
• The Brewers dropped their third straight game and have lost 10 of their last 16 contests since 6/13…marks their longest losing streak since losing seven straight from 4/30-5/6…have lost eight of their last 10 road games and fell to 15-27 away from Miller Park in 2011.
• The Brewers are now 2-4 all time in Interleague play vs. the Yankees…have now lost their last 11 games – and 14 of their last 15 in the Bronx dating back August 1995…fell to 5-7 in Interleague play this season.
• The Brewers were swept for the fourth time this season – all on the road, first since a four-game set from 5/2-5 at Atlanta.
• The Brewers were shut out for the seventh time this season – all on the road…were blanked by the Yankees for the first time since 7/19/97 at County Stadium (0-8).
• The Brewers struck out 14 times today, their second-most in a game in 2011 (15K on 5/5 at Atlanta)…six different Brewers struck out at least twice.
• Milwaukee batters hit two balls in the air today (Kottaras fly to CF in the third and Weeks pop out to 2B in the eighth).
• LHP Randy Wolf (7.0IP, 7H, 4ER, 3BB, 3K, 1HR, 1HP) had his seven-start undefeated stretch snapped, losing for the first time since 5/17 at Los Angeles-NL…fell to 0-2 with a 6.35 ERA (17.0IP, 14R, 12ER) in three career starts against the Yankees…retired his final eight batters faced and 10 of his last 11.
• LF Ryan Braun (3-for-3) had half of the Brewers’ hits today and extended his career-high hitting streak to 20 games…becomes the fifth different Brewer (sixth time) to record a hitting streak of at least 20 games…marks the longest hitting streak by a Brewer since Cory Hart hit in 20 straight from 6/14-7/5/10.