NEW YORK YANKEES NOTES –
• The Yankees lost their third straight game…have dropped 10 of their last 14 home games.
• The Yankees led 2-0 at the end of the sixth inning, and are now 28-5 this season when leading after six innings…the seven runs allowed in the seventh marked their most surrendered in a single inning this season.
• The Yankees fell to 1-8 vs. Boston in 2011 (0-6 at Yankee Stadium)…overall, have lost seven straight, 10 of the last 11, 13 of the last 16 and 15 of the last 20 games between the clubs…have lost their first six home games against the Red Sox in 2011, marking the third time in franchise history they have gone winless in their first six home games vs. Boston – also 1912 (0-6) and 1913 (0-5-1)
• Three different Yankees were hit by a pitch tonight (Jeter, Rodriguez, Granderson), matching the most HBP by an American League team this season…marked the most times the Yankees were hit by a pitch in a game since 6/15/10 vs. PHI (also 3HBP). …their six straight home losses marks their longest single-season home losing streak against Boston since the 1912 season when they went 0-10.
• LHP CC Sabathia (6.2IP, 8H, 6ER, 2BB, 5K, 1HP) had his four-game winning streak snapped and lost for just the third time in his last 10 starts…fell to 0-3 vs. Boston in 2011 (is 7-1 vs. the rest of Baseball), marking just the fourth time he has lost at least three times to the same team in a single season – also 2003 vs. Kansas City (0-3), 2006 vs. Detroit (0-3) and 2006 vs. Minnesota (1-3)…allowed 2H and five total baserunners (also 2BB, 1HP) through his first 6.0IP before allowing all 6R in the seventh…matched his season high in runs allowed, equaling his total runs surrendered over his previous three starts combined.
• CF Curtis Granderson (1-for-3) hit his 18th home run of the season, tying Mark Teixeira for the team lead…did not hit his 18th homer last year until 9/15 in his 121st game.
• SS Derek Jeter (1-for-4) is now 10 hits shy of becoming the 28th player to record at least 3,000 hits…scored the 1,721st run of his career in the first inning, surpassing Wee Willie Keeler (1,720) for 22nd place on Baseball’s all-time list.
• RHP Jeff Marquez made his Yankees debut, allowing 1ER in 2.0IP (2H, 1K)…was his second Major League appearance (also 7/9/10 w/Chicago-Al vs. Kansas City).
BOSTON RED SOX NOTES–
• The Red Sox won their sixth straight game…are 22-8 in their last 30 contests…have won eight of their last nine and 17 of their last 23 road games since 4/20, after starting 0-7 away from Fenway Park.
• The Red Sox scored seven runs in the seventh inning, collecting 8H (2 doubles, 1 triple), sending 11 batters to the plate and going 7-for-9 with RISP…matched their most runs scored in an inning this season (also 5/25 at Cleveland, first inning)…have now scored three-or-more runs in an inning against the Yankees 10 times this season…Red Sox batters over the first six innings were 2-for-19, 2BB, 1HP, 0-for-3 with RISP.
• Boston entered the seventh inning down 2-0 before scoring eight runs combined over the seventh and eighth…was just their third win this season when trailing after six innings (now 3-19)…each Boston player recorded at least one hit in tonight’s game.
• Boston improved to 8-1 vs. the Yankees in 2011 (6-0 at Yankee Stadium)…have won seven straight, 10 of the last 11, 13 of the last 16 and 15 of the last 20 matchups between the clubs…
• RHP Josh Beckett held the Yankees to 2ER in 7.0IP (4H, 2BB, 6K, 1HR, 3HP) in the winning effort…is now 3-0 vs. Yankees this season (with a 0.86 ERA) and 2-2 vs. the rest of Baseball…has now won four straight starts against the Yankees dating back to last season (4-0, 2.28 ERA)…improved to 6-1 with a 4.18 ERA (56.0, 26ER) in his last nine starts in the Bronx…matched his career high with 3HBP (also 9/22/08 vs. Cleveland).
have gone undefeated their first six road games against the Yankees for the third time – also 1912 (6-0) and 1913 (5-0-1)…Elias notes the Red Sox have swept the Yankees on the road in two series of at least three games in the same season for the first time since 1912.
• CF Jacoby Ellsbury (2-for-4) has hit safely in 13 of his last 14 games since 5/25, batting .390 (23-for-59) with 13R over the stretch…was 7-for-14 with 2 doubles, 1HR and 3RBI in the three-game series at Yankee Stadium and has now hit safely in each of his last seven games in the Bronx.
• 1B Adrian Gonzlez (2-for-5) had 2RBI, and has now driven in at least one run in each of his last six games…ties the longest such streak of his career (fourth time, second this season – also 5/8-14).
• DH David Ortiz (2-for-4) recorded a single and a double in the seven-run seventh scoring one run and driving in two…marked his first two-hit inning since 6/16/09 vs. Florida…is batting .333 (11-for-33) with 4 doubles, 3HR and 7RBI in nine games against the Yankees this season