NEW YORK YANKEES NOTES –
• The Yankees lost their season-high fourth straight game…marks just their seventh losing streak of more than three games under Joe Girardi…was also their fourth straight home loss, one shy of their longest losing streak at the current Yankee Stadium (5, 5/2-7/09).
• The Yankees are 1-4 on their current six-game homestand (also 1-2 vs. Kansas City)…have lost consecutive home series of any length for just the second time at the current Yankee Stadium (also 5/4-7/09, 0-2 vs. Boston and 0-2 vs. Tampa Bay).
• The Yankees fell to 1-4 vs. Boston in 2011 (0-2 at Yankee Stadium)…have lost six of the last seven, nine of the last 12 and 11 of the last 16 games between the clubs…have lost their last two home series vs. the Red Sox…are batting .221 (38-for-172) against Red Sox pitching this season.
• The Yankees were shutout for the fourth time this season, second time by the Red Sox (also 4/10 at Fenway Park in a game started by Beckett)…were blanked at home by Boston for the first time since 7/3/08 at the original Yankee Stadium (7-0)…marks the first time since 2000 the Red Sox have shut out the Yankees twice in the same season.
• The Yankees were 0-for-10 with runners in scoring position…are 5-for-39 (.128) with RISP over their last four games – all losses…have not had a runner reach third base in either of their two games against the Red Sox this season in which Josh Beckett started (also 4/10).
• LHP CC Sabathia fell to 3-3 on the year, allowing a season-high 6ER in 6.2IP (7H, 3BB, 6K, 1HR, 1HP, 1WP)…was his first loss against Boston at Yankee Stadium (entered 3-0 with a 0.91 ERA, 29.2IP, 3ER in four home starts vs. the Red Sox as a Yankee)…retired 12 consecutive batters following Pedroia’s first-inning single…lost for just the sixth time in 40 career starts at Yankee Stadium (including postseason)…the HR allowed to Gonzalez was just the second he has allowed to a LH batter at Yankee Stadium in the regular season (also Luke Scott on 6/3/10)…had not allowed an extra-base hit to a lefty this season entering tonight.
• CF Curtis Granderson (2-for-4) recorded a pair of hits for the second straight game and now has multiple hits in five of his last eight contests.
• Manager Joe Girardi was ejected in the seventh inning by HP Umpire Mike Winters…was his 15th career ejection, 12th as a manager, 10th as Yankees manager and 13th overall as a Yankee (once as a player).
BOSTON RED SOX NOTES–
• The Red Sox won their second straight game and have now won five of their last seven contests…improved to 2-2 on their current five-game road trip (went 0-2 at Toronto)…are 8-4 in their last 12 road games since 4/20…improved to 8-5 in May.
• The Red Sox recorded their fifth shutout of the season, matching Detroit for most in the AL, and third on the road…was their second against the Yankees in 2011 (also 4/10 at Fenway Park in a game started by Beckett)…recorded their first shutout in the Bronx since 7/3/08 at the original Yankee Stadium (7-0)…marks the first time since 2000 the Red Sox have shut out the Yankees twice in the same season.
• Boston improved to 4-1 vs. the Yankees in 2011 (2-0 at Yankee Stadium)…have won six of the last seven, nine of the last 12 and 11 of the last 16 matchups between the clubs.
• Dating to the start of the 2010 season, the Red Sox are 11-2 when facing a former Cy Young Award-winning pitcher.
• RHP Josh Beckett won for the first time since 4/16 vs. Toronto, tossing 6.0 scoreless IP (4H, 2BB, 9K)…has not allowed a run in his last 18.1IP, matching his longest single-season scoreless streak (also 8/26-9/8/04)…has not allowed a run in 14.0 combined IP against the Yankees this season, limiting them to 6H with 19K
• CF Jacoby Ellsbury (2-for-4) has hit safely in 21 of his last 22 games since 4/21 at Los Angeles-AL (.367, 36-for-98)…was 1-for-14 (.071) in his career against Sabathia prior to his bases-loaded, two-run double in the fifth…had driven in two runs total over his previous eight contests. …has won his last three starts vs. the Yankees (3-0, 2.18 ERA, 20.2IP, 5ER, 24K)…allowed the first two batters to reach on singles, then allowed just two hits – and three total runners – over the rest of his outing…earned his first road win in 2011.
• 1B Adrian Gonzalez (1-for-5) has homered in each of his last four games (five total HR), five of his last six (six total HR) and seven of his last 11 (eight total HR)…marks the fourth time he has homered in at least four straight games (also 5, 5/10-15/09; 4, 4/21-25/10; and 4, 5/30-6/2/09).
⇒ Has now driven in at least one run in six straight games (12RBI total), tying his career-long stretch (third time).
• 2B Dustin Pedroia (3-for-4) is batting .650 (13-for-20) with 6R, 3 doubles, 1HR and 5RBI against the Yankees in 2011, hitting safely in all five games (with four 3H games)…is batting .190 (24-for-126) against the rest of Baseball