After another 6-6 season AD Jack Swarbrick officially pulled the plug on the Weis regime. The Irish plummeted in the month of November for the second year recording and four straight losses to Navy, Pitt, Connecticut and Stanford.
The University put out a statement just after 3 p.m.
“We have great expectations for our football program, and we have not been able to meet those expectations,” said athletics director Jack Swarbrick. “As an alumnus, Charlie understands those goals and expectations better than most, and he’s as disappointed as anyone that we have not achieved the desired results.”
Swarbrick had discussed the dismissal Sunday night with Notre Dame’s president, Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C.
“We have established an evaluation process for all of our athletic programs that, in the end, results in a recommendation from Jack to me,” Father Jenkins said. “I accepted Jack’s decision and look forward to working with him on selecting a new head football coach who is the very best choice possible for the University and especially for our student-athletes.
“I am most appreciative to Coach Weis for his service to Notre Dame and our community. He and his family have my prayers and best wishes.”
Weis’s five year tenure started off with a bang his first two seasons. He went 19-6 and led the Irish to two BCS berths. The last three years he was 16-21 and departs South Bend with a 35-27 record, worse than his pervious two predecessors.
According to Irish Illustrated Senior Editor Pete Sampson, this was the move Weis had been expecting since late last week. His office was reportedly cleaned out Thursday before the team left for Palo Alto.
His refusal to do halftime and postgame media interviews during the Stanford game were another indication that he was on the out.
His last two senior days were filled with boos and unexplainable losses.
According to his South Bend friends he has had at least six offers from the NFL to return as an offensive coordinator.
Weis is not the only one changing addresses. Junior signal caller Jimmy Clausen provided strong evidence towards forgoing his senior season and entering the NFL Draft. Clausen gave his football helmet to his family following the 45-38 loss to Stanford a game in which he threw for 5 scores.
Weis was scheduled to meet with his team at 3pm Monday afternoon to address his situation. Athletic director Jack Swarbrick also attended that meeting with the assistant coaches present as well. Irish players were seen by numerous media outlets filing into the Guglielmino Center after 2:30 p.m. today for the meetings.
Players and Coaches have been silent towards the media ever since their early arrival on campus on Sunday Morning. Back on campus, the team leadership committee was conducted today at 3 to vote on whether the Irish would accept a bowl game. Weis is not likely reported to coach in that game.
Swarbrick appointed Rob Ianello, Irish assistant head coach/offense, wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator, to assume the responsibility of football operations until a new coach is found.