Giants acquire Leonard Williams from Jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants acquire Leonard Williams from Jets

Not sure they need another DT but Gettleman loves his DL's. Cost the 2020 3rd and 2021 5th which will become a 4th if the Giants resign him.

Doesn't make much sense for a 2-6 team since he's on the last year of his rookie contract and is a pending FA.

Well obviously the plan is to resign him and word is the 3rd rounder "should" be the future comp 3rd they'll get for Collins, but it's still an OOOF price to pay for a pending FA.
    My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

My only thought on why this would be at all logical is 1. Gettleman really wanted Williams and knew other teams would be in on him NOW - decreasing the likelihood he'd hit FA. AND 2. Impacting potential compensatory picks. Williams would probably be 4th round pick for the team who loses him by trading for him now and re-signing I don't believe he'd then count against the CFA balance.

I'm with you tho Dak....I don't really get it. The guy has been a massive underachiever...not sure what he brings to the table they don't already have unless they are convinced they can unlock his pass rush potential that he flashed back in 2016. There were those who thought he should have been the #1 overall pick coming out, but I tend to believe you are what your stats say you after after 5 years in the league and he's been trending the wrong way.

I guess they also figure they'll probably get a 3rd back for losing Collins, but yeesh...yeah its a reach to understand this one.

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat View Post
        My only thought on why this would be at all logical is 1. Gettleman really wanted Williams and knew other teams would be in on him NOW - decreasing the likelihood he'd hit FA. AND 2. Impacting potential compensatory picks. Williams would probably be 4th round pick for the team who loses him by trading for him now and re-signing I don't believe he'd then count against the CFA balance.

I'm with you tho Dak....I don't really get it. The guy has been a massive underachiever...not sure what he brings to the table they don't already have unless they are convinced they can unlock his pass rush potential that he flashed back in 2016. There were those who thought he should have been the #1 overall pick coming out, but I tend to believe you are what your stats say you after after 5 years in the league and he's been trending the wrong way.

I guess they also figure they'll probably get a 3rd back for losing Collins, but yeesh...yeah its a reach to understand this one.
        I guess they also have the franchise tag they could use but my question about that would be why would Williams sign a team friendly deal prior to FA when the Giants only other option would be to franchise him for $15+ mil? I'm all about taking a shot on a guy who has talent but has underachieved. I just don't get the price tag based on his impending FA at this point and record.

I did read that as much as they loved BJ Hill last year they are really down on him and his production this year.

If it's the comp pick I still wouldn't like it but I'd be more OK with it. I'm just not sure if they can deal comp picks as they won't be given out until after the season.With the way this season is going the 3rd round, non-comp pick, is going to be in the top 70-75 players which is big value to a team who needs to fill holes.

Comment

Got me also thinking that maybe they think they can get that 3rd back with dealing Solder and/or Jenkins.

Comment

Speculation going around that the Giants could move Tomlinson or BJ Hill to recoup picks.

Comment

None of those guys are getting a 3. Hill has regressed. Jenkins gets a 5 at best - see Snacks and Apple. No one is taking that Solder contract

The D-Line has honestly been a let down. I know not everything is on the front 4 when it comes to stopping the run, but they've been bad at it.... I know the PFF scores for these guys are all pretty solid, but I havent seen it on the field. I think they got Williams just for a mix and match setup - get Tomlinson and/or Hill off the field on passing downs. Maybe they feel he can use his quickness to help more in the running D too. I'd be surprised if they traded any of their guys despite a lot of redundancy on the line.

I think it was a move that Gettleman looked at the draft, felt Williams would be better than any DLine they could pick in the 3rd round this year, knows they have cap space, and knows they likely have a 3rd round comp coming from Collins. I don't agree with it, but I guess that's the thinking. Gotta hold my judgement here as Gettleman in general has shown good draft reads in his 2 shots here.

Comment

Working...
              X