Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season Predictions

Here we go....

I can't see them winning vs. the Cowboys - that team is just too talented right now. 2 years from now they'll be in a salary cap hell and crash thanks to insane contracts for Cooper/Zeke/Dak/etc, but for my money they are the best team (on paper) in the division.

All that said I can't see this team being as bad as the power rankings (which show then around 29th in the league pending your source) claim....unless the D is just absolutely miserable - bottom of the league bad - I think they are right around 7-8 wins.

Honestly I think there's a decent chance they are 3-1 after the first 4 weeks and wouldn't be shocked to see them at 5-3 through 8... That said I really struggle to see more than 3 wins in the 2nd half.

I've said before I see 3 points where Jones could get on the field - The 10/20 Cards game - which could happen if they are 2-4 thru 6 - I think there's a pretty good chance of that (split the first 4 - not a surprise to lose to the Vikes/Pats after). I really think that's an ideal launching point for him too....gets time to prepare, a beatable opponent, at home, etc...

The next 11/24 vs. the Bears after the bye - tough to throw a rookie vs that D and on the road, but I think there's a high chance the Bears regress this year. Teams rarely lead the league in defensive scoring back to back seasons and unless Mitch steps up a lot it'll have a huge impact on that team overall. I think there's a lower chance of this date tho - if they made it to the Cards game at 3-3 (or better) I think there's really good odds they enter the Bears game at .500 or better and still very much in the race.

So the last time I see it is vs the Dolphins on 12/15. If they were .500 vs. the Bears there's a very good chance coming out of that they lose the next 3, basically putting them at 5-8 and out of the race. If they win the Bears game, even losing the next 2 - given the Dolphins and the Skins after they'd still be in it at 6-7...you'd have to figure they look at that saying we can be 8-7 going into the final game with a punchers chance. I think this is the 2nd most likely stop, maybe even the most likely if Mara is just so gun shy of what happen with the whole Geno disaster.

I highly doubt they put Jones in as a starter on the final game vs. the Eagles if he hasn't played before then....if Eli managed to make 15 starts he'll get his final send off. Maybe Jones gets action later in the game.

I think the offense will score points this year even with missing Tate for 4 games. I think the D will be bad, especially early on. No pass rush and young secondary doesn't instill confidence. They have talent but unless Golden or someone else can get consistent pressure I think they'll eventually be picked apart in the pass game with some missed assignments. We saw a bunch of that in the preseason when they played the #1's.

As to the record, Giants seem to have a few games where they have little chance of winning (Cowboys 2x, Vikings, Pats, Bears Packers, Eagles 2x). So right off the bat I think they have 7-8 losses with just those games. Maybe they steal one somewhere. Lets say 1-7 or at best 2-6 in those games.

Then they have a couple other games where I think they'll be underdogs with a change to win if they play well. That includes the Bucs, Lions, Jets.

Then they have the remaining games where they're even or could be favored. This includes the Bills, Redskins 2x, Cards, Dolphins

Based on all that and when they go to Jones he's sure to struggle some and I'm pessimistically seeing a 6-10 season. They'll look better overall but the record won't show it.

I think first shot at Jones getting the gig is after the Pat's game. Eli gets 6 games to see where the teams at and then there's 10 days off before playing a Cards team who shouldn't be strong on D.

After that I think it's after week 10 with the bye.

Worst case it's week 14 against the Dolphins. That would be a catch 22 since the team would have had to play well enough the beginning of the season to be playoff capable but to only give Jones 3 starts would be tough to take for the fans who know this is another rebuild season.

I hate to wish for a bad season but another top 5 pick would be ideal where they can shop the pick to QB needy teams and get a package of picks.

Comment

Prediction for week 1. It's Giants Cowboys so I see a close game where the Giants have a chance to win, but then get their hearts crushed in the final 2 minutes of the game.

Still think they'll be around .500 this year.
      My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Same exact weeks I said Dak

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat View Post
          Same exact weeks I said Dak
          Yeah, seems those are the most obvious. I've heard lots of talk that week 7 is the spot most are expecting or makes the most sense. Kind of fitting that week 6 is against the Pat's who he's had his biggest games against, week 7 was the week Manning took over for Warner, and week 7 is also a winnable home game against Murray. 3 Games after that are the Lions (potentially winnable), Cowboys at home, and Jets away (home) before they start a really tough 3 game stretch.

Only thing that could change that would be if Manning played really well and the team won those first 6 weeks. Like you mentioned, best case they are 3-3 (I think most would agree they shouldn't beat the Cowboys, Vikings, or Pat's) after week 6 but most likely they drop one to either the Bills or Bucs (or worse the Redskins) and go into that week 7 at 2-4. At that record it doesn't make sense not to move to Jones to get him some playing experience.

Comment

Agreed 2-4 they better make the switch... The ONLY arguement I'd have against it is if for some reason no one else in the division is over .500.... Even then there's not much of a point

Comment

Well this defense might even be worse than feared. That's scary

Comment

Originally posted by strummer View Post
                Well this defense might even be worse than feared. That's scary
                Young secondary along with no pass rush is going to be tough to be good early on. The hope will be the kids in the back end will grow over the season where they can blitz more.

Connelly needs to get more playing time. Kid seems to just make plays when given a chance.

Comment

Too much Hamilton and Bethea singled up. Not that Baker and Love didn't get torched too but those are the guys that need to be out there

Comment

Well first off Dallas is a stacked elite team. Second our defense sucks donkey dick. It's young and can get better, but whooooo boy there's going to be growing pains.

On the bright side the Browns got humiliated even more than we did and the Jets LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
                    Last edited by OrangeNblueNmyVeins; 09-09-2019, 08:12 AM.
                    My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Too much Hamilton and Bethea singled up. Not that Baker and Love didn't get torched too but those are the guys that need to be out there
                      Baker had a tough time. Hopefully it's just a matter of him being rusty as every time he played zone they completed it in front of him. Every time he pressed they threw over the top. If he can't play press and keep up with WR's it will be tough for Bettcher to send his blitz packages.

Overall, the D played pretty much how I expected. No pressure and the young secondary guys missed assignments or didn't play well.

Comment

Not that this would have changed the outcome, but someone really has to explain to me how Barkley only got like 15 touches in that game..... This O-Line looked GOOD. When you're only having Eli throw 5 yard passes, why the heck wouldn't you just run the ball on 1st and 2nd down EVERY TIME? I know he got 1/2 of those on 1 carry, but still he rushed the other 10 times for 50+ yards....whatever happened to run it until they stop you? Hell ELI even had 6 yards on the ground. Gallman averaged almost 9 a carry. Would Rex ****ing Ryan make a better coach for this team at this point? He had a bunch of backs that would average 3 yards and he'd still run it sometimes 3 straight times just to prove a point. This team has invested in both lines - PLAY LIKE IT. PLAY GIANT FOOTBALL!!!

If you told me going into the game that Eli would throw for 300 yards on 70% completion....Barkley would rush for 120 yards....EE would have 100+ receiving yards....

I'd say they would have had to put up close to 30 points....not 17.... Maybe it is just all Eli, but it seems like there's something fundamentally wrong with the approach/play calling on this team....like its been calling the same plays for 5 years now despite who the HC / OC is....

Can someone also please slap Shoomer everytime he even thinks of calling a roll out for Eli? Lets take the most immobile QB in the NFL and move him....jeebus. This coaching staff has not convinced me they are any smarter than McAdoo and Co....

Hey Giants defense - it's a TE seam route - You'd think after about a 1/2 decade of being OWNED on this route against even the scrubbiest of TEs SOME defense player might bring it up in a meeting? I mean really when was the last time a Giants defense could actually cover this play? Chase ****ing Blackburn who was bagging groceries figured it out....completely lost by every coordinator since..... I know we're just fans and don't get the ins and outs and you've got to give something to take something away, but just once this year - I don't care if it takes assigning 3 guys to cover one when they're in the red zone - I'd like to see a Giants defense prevent TEs from being WIDE OPEN for a TD inside the 20 multiple times a game....

Comment

Originally posted by dak11 View Post

Baker had a tough time. Hopefully it's just a matter of him being rusty as every time he played zone they completed it in front of him. Every time he pressed they threw over the top. If he can't play press and keep up with WR's it will be tough for Bettcher to send his blitz packages.

Overall, the D played pretty much how I expected. No pressure and the young secondary guys missed assignments or didn't play well.
                          Yeah Baker didn't play well, but I'd rather see him out there than Hamilton who was even worse. Frankly Ballentine played the best CB of everyone - including Jenkins this preseason...probably should have gotten more burn in this one. I like Bethea, but he had a horrible game as well - again not really sure why the defensive coordinator felt it was cool to have out 35 year safety in single coverage most of the time. Again, not that he played well either, but those are the spots you'd like to see Love in if the design is for Bethea in coverage. He's better used as a CFer.....

Comment

Baker being a step behind is understandable with his injury and time missed in camp. They should have rode Ballentine harder. Hamilton is a dogshit replacement level player. But again Dallas probably has the best OL in the league and all their weapons on O would be alot to handle for any team let alone a D like the Giants.

It's always easy to attack coaching, but Bettcher was billed as some rising Defensive mind whose teams blitz like crazy and show all these interesting looks etc to keep team O's on their toes, but we haven't seen that yet at all. I get his D is only going to look as good as the personnel he's got, but his D schemes has been overrated as hell so far.
                            My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Yeah Baker didn't play well, but I'd rather see him out there than Hamilton who was even worse. Frankly Ballentine played the best CB of everyone - including Jenkins this preseason...probably should have gotten more burn in this one. I like Bethea, but he had a horrible game as well - again not really sure why the defensive coordinator felt it was cool to have out 35 year safety in single coverage most of the time. Again, not that he played well either, but those are the spots you'd like to see Love in if the design is for Bethea in coverage. He's better used as a CFer.....
                              No doubt. If they're going to struggle at least struggle with the young guys who could be a long term fix.

I see the Bethea signing as more a mentor then an actual difference maker. Eventually, they'll start transitioning to Love more and more, especially if this team starts to really fall apart where it's a year where they'll be better off getting all the young kids playing time late in the year.

Comment

Working...
                              X