Pre-season game 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-season game 1

Pre-season is normally a slog....but at least we can over analyse Daniel Jones this year.

I'm actually interested most in seeing how this secondary performs. Crazy young...but tons of potential. That's what I'll be watching, especially since the Jets have no real receiving threats worth talking about.

Pre-season vs a team they're playing in the reg season. I don't expect alot of scheming or real game play at all. Just hope everyone gets through it unscathed and Jones can at least be competent with maybe a flash or two of real excitement, so the over-reactive media doesn't have a field day.

Baker and actually Ballentine have been excellent in camp especially Ballentine. Beal's been hurt and is trending towards bust territory. Guy needs to get out of the tub if he wants to make the club. Love's likely position is going to be safety.
    My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Daniel Motherfvcker Jones
      My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Can't ask for much more than that on a debute...

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat View Post
          Can't ask for much more than that on a debute...
          He looked good but you need to take it into context. 1st preseason game, vanilla defenses, and 2nd stringers on D. He does throw a nice spiral though. It's been a long time since we could say that about the Giants QB.

I only watch about half the game but some others showed promise. Young secondary looks like they can play. Baker has a PI but looked like he was in good position overall. Ballentine missed a tackle but covered well. Love looks more like a safety to me at this point.

Connelly popped at LB. For someone who wasn't looked at too fondly when drafted he was around the ball and making plays. I particularly liked how he attacked the running holes and disrupting plays. He'll probably still have coverage issues but he looks solid against the run and looks like he can tackle.

Russell looked like he was open all night when he was on the field even though he only had that 1 catch.

D line is still going to struggle to create pressure though Lawrence looks like he'll be a force where he'll need to be doubled which could open up some blitzing.

Peppers missed that INT early on but looked like he was all over the field. He could thrive in Bettcher's D in the role that Collins plays a couple seasons ago near the line where he can use his athleticism to make plays and not be in coverage too much.

No big injuries from what I've seen so far so that's the biggest thing to take out of this game.

Comment

Yeah there's a lot to pick apart...that TD pass? likely an INT or at least broken up with a real defense. It was pretty much all single reads. He faced what? 1 blitz? BUT I think there's enough to be really encouraged about - good zip on his passes. No happy feet. Ball placement was good. High release point on his passes. Mechanics looked good. He tried to move the ball down field rather than just make check downs. He looked fluid on the play action...

Baker looks like he needs to get his head around more. He had good position, but he didn't look for the ball several times.

Ballentine might just grab the KR spot thats where I was encouraged. I actually thought he looked more like a corner than safety, but *shrug* - like I said his ticket is special teams

Agreed on Connelly ball hawk - looks like a gamer - going to be one of those limited athletes with high IQ that's easy to root for.

I mean all the WRs seemed to have good nights - TJ Jones didn't show much separation, but he caught a couple of tough balls in traffic, looked like he was spot on for his routes. Reggie White looked good too.

I was really disappointed by the RBs. Perkins with a stupid fumble and showed no ability to escape. Gallman not much either. Neither looked aggressive or like they were really fighting for a job. Wish I had paid more attention to who was on the O-Line when.

Comment

Of course context is needed and it's one series, but it's for sure a great thing he did what he did and didn't stink up the joint. You can talk about 2nd units vs 1st units all day, but all his throws were frozen ropes perfectly placed like they were on a wire. All during camp all you heard was that Jones has sneaky zip on his throws and all the arm strength BS during the draft was a load and it showed last night. Giants may just have something here.

Of course the stupid ass NYC media is having a field day today. The same ones that knocked the pick for months now spouting off about QB controversy. LOL
              My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Giant beat reporters love trolling the fan base. They have that in common with the Met ones Vacchiano has already started with his usual ****

Comment

Baker going for MRI on knee. Said he felt fine after the game but had some issues prior to Sundays practice. Hope he's OK but at least it's a position where they have some depth if he's not.

Comment

Knee Sprain...not really sure what that means in terms of timeline, but can't be good.

This defense is going to be pretty bad at least to start the year isn't it? I believe there's talent out there, but its so young and there will likely be little to no pass rush to help out for blown assignments and stupid penalties that happen to all 1st-2nd year players. Best we can hope for is a knack for "big plays" with the IMO massive upgrade of athletic ability they got in the secondary.

Comment

Doctors confirm only minor sprain considered day to day.
                      My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeNblueNmyVeins View Post
                        Doctors confirm only minor sprain considered day to day.
                        I don't see minor or the grade listed anywhere I've seen. I see sprain and they don't know how long recovery will take. Just because the team listed him as day to day doesn't mean anything. There are multiple levels of sprains.

(Copied from another location) Grade 1 are microscopic tears in the affected ligaments, grade 2 partial tears and grade 3 a complete tear or if the ligament is separated from the bone (the latter sounds terrible but is easier to repair, if I recall correctly).

Even the mild strain could take 2-4 weeks to recover from.

Comment

“It’s a big relief, certainly,” coach Pat Shurmur said after Monday’s practice. “He’s been coming along real well. To know that it’s not serious at this point is good.”
                          This meets my definition of minor.
                          My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeNblueNmyVeins View Post

This meets my definition of minor.
                            Got it. Not an ACL tear means minor.

Comment

Well we're through 3 preseason games and Jones is making all the talking head doubters eat some humble pie. This kid looks like the real deal. He's not and never will be a flashy Mahomes type, but he doesn't have to be. A Brady/Montana type is just fine.
                              My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Working...
                              X