Lauletta active

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lauletta active

I don't expect him to play as he'll be the 3rd QB but this is a step forward is having him available if any games get out of hand.

(on edit) he was the backup as Tanney was inactive.
    Last edited by dak11; 12-02-2018, 04:38 PM.

After loss #9 he should be in...whenever that is. Technically they are still "alive" and he obviously needs time after both his incident and just in general from being a 3rd string...but he should be getting reps in practice now.

Comment

I think yesterday should have sealed Eli's fate for next year. That was as ugly as I've seen him...and yeah the receivers didn't help him - 5 drops, but the two turnovers were just horrific - esp the fumble where I still have no idea what he was doing. I get the impression that Shurm is not a big fan of Lauletta so he may not get the time he SHOULD these next 2 weeks and I doubt he's the QB of the future, but that game should be the final nail in the coffin on any thought of letting him play out the final year of his contract.

Comment

I wasn't for him coming back this year so I'm on board with moving on. Only issue would be that you have the learning curve at the beginning of next year for anyone new.

What I'm expect is that they'll look to reduce his contract in the off season. If he balks he gets released and they draft someone or pickup a stop gap guy like Bridgewater, If he accepts it he gets to compete for the job in training camp and help groom a kid (Laluetta or draft pick).

Comment

I don't think its a good idea to let Eli be the place holder to groom the next guy *IF* they draft that guy in the first round - In that case go get a place holder, but give the kid a shot to start from jump. Thats not happening with Eli here....and if the new guy struggles with Eli around OR Eli gets off to a decent start it just confuses the situation...it's why I wasn't opposed to going Barkley with the pick. They needed to really wait a year to get the point where they could feasibly cut Eli and not completely trash the cap.

Now if they are looking at someone in the 2nd...I can buy it....but I'm not sold that its a good idea to build your future around a 2nd round QB.

I think with potentially 2 of Shurmur's former QBs on the market this offseason they should just look to snag Keenum or Bridgewater and be done with Eli. Opens up plenty of avenues to them regarding the future QB.

The only other option I see is going with yet another full year of Eli and doing whatever it takes to trade up in the 2020 draft to get a 1st round QB there.

I really don't like Eli serving in the Warner role.....I think thats virtually impossible to do with a team "legend"

Comment

Iíve come to the realization that Manning will be the starter next year. It might not be the entire season but between his and the teams play the past half of the season along with his cap hit I donít see any way that he doesnít come back at this point. Even if they draft a QB this year none of them look to be a guy who can step in week 1. Continue to build the rest of the team and look towards 2020 as the year to get the QB.

Maybe they can talk him into taking a pay cut but I think thatís a long shot too at this point.

Comment

Well Herbert back to school sucks. Kid is kind of stupid....he would have been the top QB picked. Next year? Doubt it.

I'm not totally sold on Haskins....but there's definitely talent there. Given his 1 year status he might be the rare 1st round pick that I'd say should sit a year....so maybe he's ideal given eli. His skills certainly line up with Shurmer offense..... just not sure Shurmer will or should be here the next 5 years to work with a kid.

I still like Lock a lot....just not as a top 10 pick. His arm is impressive

Comment

Not everything has to be about money and draft placement. Trying to win a college championship while playing with your brother and completing his degree shouldn't be frowned upon because he might lose some cash. Not everything needs to be a business decision.

Anyway none of these QB's are step in and ready to go no matter what round they're drafted in. The Giants have a ton of problems. Eli isn't even in the top 3. Pass rush and offensive/defensive line are the things that held them back this season. Eli had one of better years this out the last few seasons. If they do go QB in the draft tell me a better guy to transition with than Eli? His cap hit is meaningless since it's going to be another lost season no matter what. So if they're blown away by one of the guys at the combine and lead up to the draft then i see no better plan than to bring Eli back and transition with him.
                My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

There's no reason Hebert couldn't be the top QB next year or at least one of the top guys. He has all of the physical traits to be viewed that way. I realize Tua looks to be the guy but right now Hebert is viewed as a top 10 pick, same as he'll probably be next year. The top of the draft this year looks to be non-QB needy teams at the moment so most likely he's fall in the 5-8 range given the other talent on the board. Hard to believe at this point he'd be much worse than that next year even if he's not the top guy.

There's always the injury risk but they offer insurance for those type of things where he'll still be pretty much set for the rest of his life in the event something happens.

At this point I'm on board with continuing to build the rest of the team (OL, Defense) and either bringing back Manning or getting a 1-2 year stop gap QB. With Hebert going back to school that means that next years draft class could be very deep with QB's and makes even more sense to wait then reach for a guy like Lock. I could a see an argument for Lock if he falls to the late 1st/early 2nd but I'd prefer to stop throwing draft equity at potential projects and use those picks towards a more sure thing in next years draft.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeNblueNmyVeins View Post
                    Not everything has to be about money and draft placement. Trying to win a college championship while playing with your brother and completing his degree shouldn't be frowned upon because he might lose some cash. Not everything needs to be a business decision.

Anyway none of these QB's are step in and ready to go no matter what round they're drafted in. The Giants have a ton of problems. Eli isn't even in the top 3. Pass rush and offensive/defensive line are the things that held them back this season. Eli had one of better years this out the last few seasons. If they do go QB in the draft tell me a better guy to transition with than Eli? His cap hit is meaningless since it's going to be another lost season no matter what. So if they're blown away by one of the guys at the combine and lead up to the draft then i see no better plan than to bring Eli back and transition with him.
                    I agree that Eli isn't the main problem but he's going to be talked about as if he is until he's gone.

Iconic franchise QBs rarely transition smoothly..... Can you think of one that did? So I don't know if that's a good situation for any rookie to come in under

if they are drafting a QB to play next year then they should cut Eli imo. If they draft one with the intention of sitting the entire year then maybe you can keep him but you know the pressure is going to build all year on the franchise.

I think Herbert would have been a top 5 pick this year because he was by far and away the best QB avail and when that happens someone will trade up rather than risk someone else beating them to the punch. Nature of the position...someone going to get itchy when 3-4 picks go and he's still there. Hell could happen to Haskins now

It's hard to predict next year but I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall to QB3 or lower on boards with the other guys expected to come out - Tua, Fromm, etc and that puts him borderline top 10 pick. Honestly that draft class looks better than this last year's one which was touted as a once ina decade class. Difference between 30+ mil or 15 mil. Yes he could still be number 1 and would have a higher shot at being the first overall next year then this but the pay difference between 1 and 5 is about 5 mil....vs 5 and 10 being over 10. Rosen and Darnold went back to school expecting to be slam dunks for 1-2...Darnold made out okay...Rosen...lost a ton.

I get it money isn't everything but guys usually go back to improve their draft status. He's already QB1....no place to go but down. Hell of a risk
                    Last edited by MrHat; 12-27-2018, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Giants will have the 6th pick in the draft

Comment

Solid spot...Bucs may want a QB but they are in front of the Jaguars who definitely will. Oak could too, but that would mean Carr is on the blocks and the Giants could be players there.

don't think this is a draft where they have to go QB but they'll have a good shot at QB without needing to move up.

Unlike my feelings last year even if they aren't going QB I wouldn't trade down in this draft. It's got great DL/OL depth but it's fairly thin elsewhere. so I think that depth is going to burn up quick. It's heavy in DT and Guards but IMO not that deep at tackles/DE. The first 2 guys at those spots look good...the rest...meh... To me, going with a Haskins or not probably depends if Taylor or Williams is on the board still
                        Last edited by MrHat; 12-30-2018, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Jonah Williams or Josh Allen. QB's not worth it this year.
                          Last edited by OrangeNblueNmyVeins; 12-30-2018, 11:29 PM.
                          My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat View Post
                            Solid spot...Bucs may want a QB but they are in front of the Jaguars who definitely will. Oak could too, but that would mean Carr is on the blocks and the Giants could be players there.

don't think this is a draft where they have to go QB but they'll have a good shot at QB without needing to move up.

Unlike my feelings last year even if they aren't going QB I wouldn't trade down in this draft. It's got great DL/OL depth but it's fairly thin elsewhere. so I think that depth is going to burn up quick. It's heavy in DT and Guards but IMO not that deep at tackles/DE. The first 2 guys at those spots look good...the rest...meh... To me, going with a Haskins or not probably depends if Taylor or Williams is on the board still
                            Good spot if they're looking for a QB or OL. That seems to be the area just after the top DL. I don't see Gettleman going after Greedy Williams. He doesn't seem to be a GM who values CB's and they just took Beal who'll cost the 3rd rounder.

I'm not high on Haskins at this point but he's a pretty good fit if the plan is to bring back Manning as he won't be a guy who you'd need to push to start week 1.

I think a trade down wouldn't be a bad idea based on a few things.

1. They only trade down a couple of spots or flip with Jax.
                            2. They're not interested in any of the DL or QB's. There's a couple OL that could be in that 7-10 area
                            3. They're looking to make their QB move next year where they add 2020 picks by trading 2019 one's.

They also have 10 picks (I thought I read somewhere possibly 11) which is too many to bring to camp so I'd expect to see them move up a few times to go get some players or swap this years picks for some next year.
                            • Round 1: N.Y. Giants
                            • Round 2: N.Y. Giants
                            • Round 3: None
                            • Round 4: N.Y. Giants, New Orleans
                            • Round 5: N.Y. Giants, San Francisco
                            • Round 6: N.Y. Giants
                            • Round 7: N.Y. Giants*, L.A. Rams*, Minnesota
                            Right now though it's a little early to start projecting.

Comment

Only if they are looking Guard and honestly I like the idea of using 2nd/3rd/4th round picks on interior linemen. The 2 best tackles to me are Taylor and Williams and I expect both will be gone in top 10 so gotta be careful....after that I'm not a big fan of any of them. Even Williams seems have some some motor/effort questions.

Comment

Working...
                              X