Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giants may not win two games this year....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants may not win two games this year....

Discuss.......
    COME BY THE SCHOOL a year from now you"ll wish you started today

"they all think they’re geniuses who just happen to agree with each other. This creates a near total blindness to facts, data, and opinions that don’t line up with their worldview"

(Originally posted by Attorney General Barr)
    "it also does not exonerate him"
    ​​​
    Semper Fortis......De Oppresso Liber

Still think they'll be in the 6-10 area.

Comment

another season over before Columbus Day. How many is that now since the SB win in 2011?

Comment

Never thought Shurmur was the answer....
        COME BY THE SCHOOL a year from now you"ll wish you started today

"they all think they’re geniuses who just happen to agree with each other. This creates a near total blindness to facts, data, and opinions that don’t line up with their worldview"

(Originally posted by Attorney General Barr)
        "it also does not exonerate him"
        ​​​
        Semper Fortis......De Oppresso Liber

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Shore View Post
          Never thought Shurmur was the answer....
          It's been 2 games. No way to gauge that at this point.

Add in all the roster changes and I'd say the lack of talent outside of the top 10-15 guys is pretty mediocre at this point.

The real debate is still Barkley vs Darnold. Barkley looks to be the real deal, especially if they're ever able to fix the Oline but if this team doesn't win anything in the next 2 seasons with Manning then you have to really question the decision about drafting a RB with an at best 7-10 year shelf life vs a QB who could have been 15+.

Comment

Its Barkley vs. Darnold *IF* the Giants don't find a QB in the next 2 years...and then yes as much as I love what I'm seeing from Barkley (I've yet to see him go down on first contact), but without a QB it'll go down as a massive mistake. If they do, then no harm, no foul. In fact you could argue that having Barkley around with a new QB will help that kid a ton.

The universal truth is that Darnold wouldn't be starting for the Giants this year until probably week 8 at the earliest (and honestly I believe probably even later - week 12 was my thought) so this experience he's getting with the Jets wouldn't be the same here and you'd largely be going into next year with a 1/2 season QB. *If* this does turn into a 6-10 kind of year or worse and the Giants grab a QB in the first round next year - I think you could see that QB start from day 1 next year. The only reason to have Eli on this team next year is if they made it to the playoffs, our at least had a winning record this year.

This Jones trade just looks more horrible week by week. Now the guy that beat him out is done + our RG sucks. Could have easily has Jones/Greco in there... Beal better be a starting CB next year as well given that this team still needs to fill at least 2 spots on this O-Line, if not 3.

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat View Post
              Its Barkley vs. Darnold *IF* the Giants don't find a QB in the next 2 years...and then yes as much as I love what I'm seeing from Barkley (I've yet to see him go down on first contact), but without a QB it'll go down as a massive mistake. If they do, then no harm, no foul. In fact you could argue that having Barkley around with a new QB will help that kid a ton..
              My problem with this scenario is that you then burned 2 years of Barkley and will be going into a 3rd with a young /rookie QB who'd most likely struggle.

I'm not taking anything away from Barkley who's looked really good and has shown why he was viewed as the top player. I'm just stating that the pick was made to 'win now' and if they don't then the choice to not even take a phone call for the #2 pick, or take a QB, and instead take Barkley will be very questionable considering the RB shelf life.

Comment

Again depends on a lot. If they find a QB next year I still don't think it really matters. If it takes them another year beyond that, then I agree its a lot more questionable....if it takes them more than that, then it was just a flat out bad move

Kinda my point in all this was - if they drafted a QB this year - he probably doesn't get much experience (in game) until next year anyways - so I really see little difference from that vs. drafting on in 2019. Either way you're largely talking about a guy having his first full season in 2019.

Yeah I get that in this current setup we've "wasted" a year of Barkley (vs. wasting a year of a QB), but you've also got Barkley for an extra year than a potential 2nd or later RB that they'd likely have to draft in the future anyways.... and likely from Barkley's skill set he'll have a longer shelf life than the "average" RB anyways. So I don't really view it as a huge deal either way.

The goal to me when drafting Barkley (and honestly signing Beckham) was not to win THIS YEAR...but to win in the next 3 years. Its tough to go from 3-13 to playoff/superbowl contender. If this year is another disaster, it certainly makes that much harder, but still not impossible even if you plug a rookie in next year.

Comment

Biggest different from drafting on in 2018 or 2019 is that most 'experts' claim the guys this year are not on the level that the 2018 group was.

Add in that 2019 is DEEP in quality pass rushers and you're now in a potential bind where you might either have to reach some for a QB, stick with manning another year, or go with Lauletta and see what he has rather than take the best player on the board.

Maybe Barkely will be the correct pick long term and be the type of RB that will change a franchise. After 2 games of the same struggles I just can't get over that with all the holes that were on this team RB was one of the least needed.

Comment

I definitely agree with that on the pass rush...the QBs? Meh the Wentz draft was not supposed to be a good QB draft. Someone almost ALWAYS emerges from these drafts. The 2017 same deal, but there's 3 pretty decent looking QBs there too.

Comment

I don't want to go round and round with this again since I think we did the same thing leading up to the draft but even if someone does step up and becomes that top Qb prospect leading into the draft will the Giants be high enough to get him or will they then have to use even more resources to trade up?

I guess we'll have to wait and see how bad this season becomes before we start discussing that.

Comment

2 games of a 16 game season.

1 bad one and one where they had a legit shot at beating a top team.

My best case scenario for the Giants this season is/was 8-8. That's with everything going right. They have the hardest 1st half schedule in the entire league. They have 30 new players on the roster. They have an entirely new offense and defense to implement. Uh these things kind of take time to learn and it takes players time to gel together.
                        My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Originally posted by dak11 View Post
                          I don't want to go round and round with this again since I think we did the same thing leading up to the draft but even if someone does step up and becomes that top Qb prospect leading into the draft will the Giants be high enough to get him or will they then have to use even more resources to trade up?

I guess we'll have to wait and see how bad this season becomes before we start discussing that.
                          Yeah too early....I mean look at this year's draft - people were talking how 4 of these guys were expected to go in the top 6 and 5 potentially in the top 15...... Rosen fell out of the top 10. Allen fell down from a top 5 "lock" to needing Buffalo to trade up for him otherwise he probably would have been out of the top 10 too and Lamar Jackson was barely a 1st round pick.

I will say I agree 100% if they have to give up even more draft capital to move UP to get a QB....it'll be bad - especially since you know how I already feel about giving up the 3rd rounder for Beal, but it's way too early for that. This team finishes 5-11 they may be top 5 and be right in position to snag a Herbert or a Lock not moving an inch - given the talent at DE/DT coming out - and honestly I think those two would have fit just as well into the Mayfield/Rosen/Jackson/Allen talent bracket (Darnold I think is/was clearly better). Take a look around the league - where's the big QB needy teams that don't already have an investment in the wings? There's really not many left and the ones that are/might be actually aren't the likely bottom feeders - The Bills have Allen, the Raiders have Carr, the Cardinals have Rosen, the Lions have Stafford, Seahawks have Wilson, Browns have Mayfield.

Again crazy early, but I'd be surprised if more than 1 QB goes in the top 5 of the draft this year just because of the above (and even that probably comes from a pretty "good" team trading up with eyes on replacing a good Vet - Rivers/Brees/Rothlesburger/etc). So we'll revisit that when the dust settles. Hell the Giants could just decide to go out and grab Bridgewater at the end of the year too *shrug*..

The worst thing for this team would be to finish 6-10....be out of the top 5. Even at 7-9/8-8 depending how they get there you can sell me / the fans on "Well it took a bit for the team to adjust to the new coaches / massive overhaul, but look they finished on a 6-2 kind of run and Eli proved he can still be the guy, so its worth riding him 2 more years before the QB search begins in earnest. Draft a DE and some more OL help and we walk into 2019 looking to be a legit playoff/SB contender.

So yeah I agree - too early to do this - and yeah I acknowledge it could very very easily all blow up in the Giants faces....I'm just not ready to throw in the towel on how "bad" the Barkley pick is to the long term future of this club until I see what happens over the next ~year or so of time because in my eyes the "road map" really hasn't changed too drastically....YET

Comment

Working...
                          X