Vernon out for week 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dak11 View Post

Flowers can't handle any speed guys. I still think he could have a decent career as a guard where he'll be fighting other big guys who can't move.

It's safe to say that OT and a speed rusher are already the biggest needs in the off season.
    and they will likely be available...... seeing as how it looks like they are headed for another top five draft position next year

COME BY THE SCHOOL a year from now you"ll wish you started today

"they all think they’re geniuses who just happen to agree with each other. This creates a near total blindness to facts, data, and opinions that don’t line up with their worldview"

(Originally posted by Attorney General Barr)
    "it also does not exonerate him"
    ​​​
    Semper Fortis......De Oppresso Liber

Comment

Flowers can't handle any speed guys. I still think he could have a decent career as a guard where he'll be fighting other big guys who can't move.

It's safe to say that OT and a speed rusher are already the biggest needs in the off season.
      I used to think so too, but his hands are so bad - for such a big strong dude he never gets any initial shove back and most of the time his hands get knocked out of the way and leave him totally off balance (see the tripping penalty right at the start). You can be a little slow with sloppy footwork as a G, but you need to have good hand technique....you need to be even quicker with them as you don't get the 1/2 step back. The quicker ends would just do cross stunts to him

Unfortunately Wheeler has continued to prove that he just doesn't have NFL level strength - he has good technique, but he was just absolutely overpowered the few times he lined up on the end. They have a major hole there with 0 depth

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat View Post

I used to think so too, but his hands are so bad - for such a big strong dude he never gets any initial shove back and most of the time his hands get knocked out of the way and leave him totally off balance (see the tripping penalty right at the start). You can be a little slow with sloppy footwork as a G, but you need to have good hand technique....you need to be even quicker with them as you don't get the 1/2 step back. The quicker ends would just do cross stunts to him

Unfortunately Wheeler has continued to prove that he just doesn't have NFL level strength - he has good technique, but he was just absolutely overpowered the few times he lined up on the end. They have a major hole there with 0 depth
        I guess the question would be are his hands bad because he's so unbalanced knowing he has to cheat to cover any speed? I'm really not sure. I'm just thinking he's a strong/slow guy and he'd be going against other slower guys inside. You could be right in that he won't be able to do that either and he'll be out of the league in the next couple years. One thing that he shows is very little emotion and with that comes the impression that he really doesn't care.

Wheeler's a tough case. He's a lot like Flowers in that he has his own flaws, like you mentioned strength, that will get exposed. It has to be one of those 2 out there unless you think a guy like Austin Howard could be the answer for this year. Now that contracts are no longer guaranteed I wouldn't be surprised if they look to add a veteran.

Comment

Imagine the outrage if Eli had a game like Stafford is having tonight?

Comment

I guess the question would be are his hands bad because he's so unbalanced knowing he has to cheat to cover any speed? I'm really not sure. I'm just thinking he's a strong/slow guy and he'd be going against other slower guys inside. You could be right in that he won't be able to do that either and he'll be out of the league in the next couple years. One thing that he shows is very little emotion and with that comes the impression that he really doesn't care.

Wheeler's a tough case. He's a lot like Flowers in that he has his own flaws, like you mentioned strength, that will get exposed. It has to be one of those 2 out there unless you think a guy like Austin Howard could be the answer for this year. Now that contracts are no longer guaranteed I wouldn't be surprised if they look to add a veteran.

I dunno, I just never see this guy overpower anyone. Even on Barkley big run he current clear out his guy.. It's Barkley who breaks the tackle after yet another half ass block. He'll get a shot at a guard somewhere else but I think he's out of football in 2-3 years

He has another game like that they gotta move on. Howard isn't the answer but he's better than what we saw Sunday. Pull Gates up from the practice squad something...any thing. Not that Pff is the end all, but he was the second worst tackle with 50+ snaps this week....can't do much worse

Comment

Agreed he needs to be on a short leash. At this point he's too much of a liability to continue to be out there with this kind of play. For me he starts week 2 and if he continues to struggle then Wheeler gets a shot since he'll at least look like he's giving the effort.

On the positive note reports have Vernon looking to practice today. Maybe he can work his way up to a limited pass-rush roll this week.

Comment

Working...
              X