Talk of Webb being traded or released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk of Webb being traded or released

Not sure how much stock I put in this, we'll know shortly after 4 pm, but runors going around that Giants might trade or release Webb outright.

Via Pat Leonard twitter:

I tweeted this earlier because I'd been told that the #Giants were seeking a potential trade for Davis Webb and if they didn't find one, they could release him. We'll see what happens by 4 o'clock. Would be a stunner.

Notable cuts (so far) :

Darian Thompson
    Herzlich
    Avery Moss
    AJ Francis
    Grant Haley (could be a practice squad guy if no one grabs him)
    Chris Lewis-Harris
    Roger Lewis
    Andrew Adams
    Leonard Johnson

Giants are going to need to trade or pick up some secondary guys. Good news is they're #2 on the waiver wire for all guys cut.

Seems like management is cleaning out all/most of McAdoo's and Reese's guys.

Comment

Something seems to be up. Leonard is now tweeting:

Pat Leonard@PLeonardNYDN
      A source now tells me the #Giants' plan "as of now" is to keep all four quarterbacks -- Manning, Webb, Lauletta and Tanney -- as 4 p.m. deadline approaches.

No reason to keep 4 QB's unless there's some smoke to go with this fire. Things I'm seeing is that Shurmur never was a fan of Webb and that he was also a McAdoo 'guy' he's not looking to keep him around. I guess they could also think Laluetta shown enough good things to think he's more the long term answer than Webb.

Very strange though if they by-passed a QB in this draft with the idea Webb could be the guy only to get rid of him prior to week 1.

Comment

A couple UDFA's make the initial roster though I'm sure they'll make a bunch of moves over the next couple days.

Evan Brown, Sean Chandler, Tae Davis and Rob Martin are all on the roster at this point. Josh Banks who was a UDFA last year but was on injured reserve also made the team (as of now).

Comment

I thought it was common knowledge Pat Leonard is literally the biggest hack in NY Sports media. There is no reason to follow him or share his "news" ever. There is absolutely no one saying Webb is a cut candidate that is just straight up retarded. Leonard likes to take a dump in his hand and then throw it at the wall to see what sticks.

Anyway the real story is likely that they want to shop Tanney and see if they can pry a late round pick for him. This is just the initial 53. After waivers tomorrow the roster could have quite a few new faces. Maybe some desperate team will throw a 3rd to the Giants for Webb.

Passing on a QB had NOTHING to do with Webb and everything to do with Barkley being a generational talent and the belief Eli still has years left.

I like what i've seen from Lauletta. You can tell he has an "it factor" His footwork and poise is legit. That still doesn't mean he's the long term answer but he's definitely intriguing.
          My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Laulettas arm is definitely weak tho. He under threw every deep ball in that Patriots game and was allowed to get his full body in every throw.... if he can improve that, then he's got a chance....if not, his ceiling is probably Chad Pennington. He knows where to go with the ball...needs to adjust to the size/speed of the NFL to get it there.

Anyways very surprised Robert Thomas and basically the whole secondary was cut. Thought Haley and Harris looked decent...I assume Haley tries for PS if he makes it thru. No idea who Josh Banks even is....I didn't hear his name once this whole pre-season/training camp. Shane Smith? why? I understand maybe wanting a FB, but he's terrible. Let Stewart earn some of his money doing that role. Gay looked done to me. Keeping Brown on the 53 is probably the reason why they traded Jones...must like what they've seen. Gotta imagine they will be very active on the waiver wire at CB.

I'd be stunned if they traded Webb....Tanney is holding a spot till they do some waiver claims.

Comment

And with that said Webb gets cut with today's 6 waiver pick ups. Wow is all i gotta say.
              My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

where there’s smoke there’s fire.

Comment

Wow.... I still have to ask tho... They can't be keep Alex as the backup right? Drop down to two QBs or go sign a real vet.

Not really impressed with any of the waiver wire moves...but have to see how it works in games

Comment

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jet...ad?campaign=tw
                    ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Citifield & Mets...the place where Sluggers Careers go to DIE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLzr2Al_Os

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat View Post
                      Laulettas arm is definitely weak tho. He under threw every deep ball in that Patriots game and was allowed to get his full body in every throw.... if he can improve that, then he's got a chance....if not, his ceiling is probably Chad Pennington. He knows where to go with the ball...needs to adjust to the size/speed of the NFL to get it there.

Anyways very surprised Robert Thomas and basically the whole secondary was cut. Thought Haley and Harris looked decent...I assume Haley tries for PS if he makes it thru. No idea who Josh Banks even is....I didn't hear his name once this whole pre-season/training camp. Shane Smith? why? I understand maybe wanting a FB, but he's terrible. Let Stewart earn some of his money doing that role. Gay looked done to me. Keeping Brown on the 53 is probably the reason why they traded Jones...must like what they've seen. Gotta imagine they will be very active on the waiver wire at CB.

I'd be stunned if they traded Webb....Tanney is holding a spot till they do some waiver claims.
                      Interesting thing is that everyone who was cut there was not one guy who was signed to a NFL roster. As far as I'm aware only Thomas and Webb were signed to practice squads.

The thing they like is that he's accurate and gets the ball out on time. From what I saw he's also mobile but under control. He had a nice run in one game for a score and then against the Pat's he escaped trouble and hit Adams right in the hands that he then promptly dropped on a 3rd down play.

He'll never be a guy who's going to throw it 50+ yards or play well in that type of offense. But that doesn't necessarily mean he can't throw it deep. Add in that Tom Brady has made a HOF career with being very accurate in the short to medium pass area. He's a typical 'West Coast' type of QB which is something Shurmer seems to like.
                      Last edited by dak11; 09-04-2018, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Brady has a better arm and throws a good deep ball, but he's a great example of someone who didn't right away and got better. Ironically Lauletta would probably be the kind of QB Mcadoo would like....I just think you need to be able to have the THREAT of getting the ball down field in today's NFL. I haven't seen it from him...yet. It's limited exposure, but every 25+ yard pass I saw from Kyle this preseason ended up in a negative result.....Doesn't mean that I think he sucks, just to me, that's the area that he's really going to have to improve if he's going to ever be an NFL starter.

Adams was signed as well....by the Eagles.

But yes...I like their latest couple of signings - Jenkins and Stupar - saw Okwara was cut for 1 (no big deal not a fan) and haven't heard of the move for the other. Jenkin's makes the "loss" of Thomas fine. He's a better player by FAR.

They've had some massive turn over of the roster here in a short period of time. I get that most of these guys are special teamers or guys who won't suit up game 1 or vet's who will catch on quick, but you do wonder a little bit about chemistry of suddenly welcoming in 10 new guys.

I still don't really get keeping Tanney at all. But I didn't get keeping Geno last year either. If Eli goes down/sucks - the team is done. Tanney has thrown all of 15 passes over 5 years all in 1 game - 3 years ago....I'd rather see Lauletta out there. I think the value add of a "vet" QB when you have a guy in Eli who's seen everything as well as Sula and Shurmur - is extremely minimal.

Comment

Agreed on Tanney, especially since you'd prefer Lauletta to get the backup snaps and there wouldn't be a huge move to sign him if released.

As to his arm strength, like you mentioned we haven't seen enough of him yet in those type of passes but arm strength was a negative of his coming into the draft. Though with the West Coast offense arm strength isn't a necessity. Montana didn't have a great deep ball and neither did Garcia.

A little surprised they didn't grab Nassib when he was released by Cleveland. Seems to be the type of DE they are working towards - big body with some pass rushing skill who could move inside if needed. I have not seen the name of who they dropped for Stupar either though at first but the transaction sheet is now saying RB Martin. Seems like a guy they might be able to get to the practice squad this late in the process.

Comment

Working...
                          X