• Show
Clear All

• Preseason

Yay Barkley / run offense

Boo Webb

Boo secondary

Boo LB coverage of TE's

Yay run defense

Think that sums up game 1. Oh yeah and Jones clearly should be the starting C after that performance. Flowers wasn't horrible!

This offense still doesn't click as it should...its pre-season yadda yadda, but we're going on what feels like 2 1/2 years of saying that.....so color me still a little worried that we didn't see a decent sustained drive all game.

Originally posted by MrHat View Post
    Yay Barkley / run offense

Boo Webb

Boo secondary

Boo LB coverage of TE's

Yay run defense

Think that sums up game 1. Oh yeah and Jones clearly should be the starting C after that performance. Flowers wasn't horrible!

This offense still doesn't click as it should...its pre-season yadda yadda, but we're going on what feels like 2 1/2 years of saying that.....so color me still a little worried that we didn't see a decent sustained drive all game.
    I'm thinking that that has more to do with " Boo Webb" (he looked awful) and no OBJ.
    COME BY THE SCHOOL a year from now you"ll wish you started today

"they all think they’re geniuses who just happen to agree with each other. This creates a near total blindness to facts, data, and opinions that don’t line up with their worldview"

Originally posted by mule
    "LOL there's nothing that makes you look more like an ass than when you try to front for the whole gang"

DEFENDING LIBERALISM ONE POST AT A TIME

Comment

Webb was missing a lot of throws high (didn't see the 2nd half). That usually means he was too excited and needs to relax.

Overall, you can't really take too much away from performances this early since there's limited schemes installed at this point.

Basic observations -

O line looked OK. Missed a couple blocks but they all have very little time playing together. Wheeler looks like he'll be a capable swing tackle and possible Flowers replacement if needed since it looks like he's stronger. No one really stood out which is usually a good thing with the O line.

Gallman and Barkley both looked good from what I saw.

Starting D looked good for the most part outside of Ogeltree on the TD.

Run D is going to be top notch based on all the big bodies.

Until Beckham is on the field the offense won't look great. Other WR's are just OK and won't frighten D's not to play 8 in the box.

Need to see improvement over the next 2 weeks.

Comment

Much better by Webb.

Still really lost why Jones is not starting at C. Something up there.....

RG is looking bad - kind of surprised there. Luckily I think the Giants actually have depth there with Greco and John Jerry

Flowers got beat a couple times but honestly isn't horrific at RT.

Still annoyed by Stewart's contract....dude looks done. I like the Martin kid....reminds me a little of Bradshaw - runs tougher/stronger than his size indicates.

'Tree can't be left 1 on 1 with TE's....they gotta figure out this saftey spot (not sure why Adams isn't the starter).

My dark horse for the CB3 spot had a rough game - Haley...still like this kid, but that game may have played him out of the running there

Still have no clue who the WR3 is

Comment

Webb looked much better. Not sure if starting rather than coming off the bench made any difference or that he got the last weeks game experience helped settle him down. Either way he looks like he could actually be a successor to Manning and wouldn't totally destroy the team if he had to play.

Lauletta didn't look terrible. He missed a couple throws on open guys but I'm more encouraged by the decisions then the actual outcomes. Downside is that the Giants will need to carry 3 Qb's rthis season since they can't afford to lose either of these kids at this point given Manning's age.

D continues to play well especially the run D. They were also able to get some pressure which is going to be an ongoing concern this season.

Ogletree is a liability in coverage. I wonder if we'll start seeing more of Armstrong (had a good game) and Carter see more time in the middle, especially in passing downs, to get them on the field more. Given that Ogletree was a converted safety I would have expected a little better coverage instincts than he's shown.

Kerry Wynn looks like he really likes this scheme. He's been a dominant player so far through 2 preseason games. Guy always seems to produce when his back is against the wall to make the team.

I'm a little surprised that with the 3rd corner issues that DRC hasn't been resigned or discussed. He seems like a guy who could not only step into the 3rd corner role but also play some free safety in a pinch.

Agree Omemeh hasn't looked good. He was billed as a run blocker and I think he's done OK in that regard but his pass blocking hasn't been good. We might start to see guys like Grecco and Jones get time there. Issue is the contract they gave Omameh had $10 mil guaranteed. Tough to move that to the bench prior to week 1.

Flowers hasn't been a total failure at RT. He still has a ton of issues with any speed rushers. Ideally I think he could thrive at guard where he can use his strength vs bigger/slower guys but that won't happen given the depth at tackle for the Giants and Omemeh's contract.

O-line in general will have bouts of struggle throughout games as they have no real Pro-bowl level guys. They just need to be average to slightly above average given the weapons they have on offense.

Engam had a couple nice catches. Same with Shepard. First time scoring 30 or more points in a long time and the offense was missing their 2 best play makers. Overall if Manning is able to get some time and not run for his life this offense should be really good.

As the the 3rd WR. Tough to think it wouldn't be Latimer. . He has size (something the other WR's don't have) at 6'2'' and also has a relationship with the Giants WR coach who also coached him in Denver. He hasn't done much yet but he has the experience and upside some of the other options lack.

Agreed on Stewart. Didn't like the contract when he signed and like it even less (if that's possible) now after seeing his production. He has 2.95 mil guaranteed this year (roster bonus plus salary) so there's little chance they'd cut him. One of the young guys (or both - Simmons and Martin) won't make the team because of Stewart. Since Barkley is a 3 down back I'm expecting only Barkley, Stewart, and Gallman to make the 53 man unless they forgo a FB which could open a 4th spot.

Biggest issue with the team in general will be injuries as the team lacks depth in most positions.

Comment

Working...
          X