X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willie Fired - Jerry Manuel in -- Official

METS NAME JERRY MANUEL INTERIM MANAGER

Ken Oberkfell, Dan Warthen, and Luis Aguayo Join Mets Coaching Staff

ANAHEIM, Calif., June 17, 2008 – The New York Mets today named Jerry Manuel interim manager, replacing Willie Randolph. Manuel, in his fourth season with the Mets, had been bench coach since 2006. The Mets also named Ken Oberkfell, Luis Aguayo and Dan Warthen to the coaching staff. Rick Peterson and Tom Nieto have been relieved of their coaching duties.

Mets General Manager Omar Minaya will hold a briefing with the media Tuesday, June 17 at 2:00 P.M. PT (5:00 P.M. ET) in the media room at Angel Stadium. Mets Manager Jerry Manuel will meet with the media immediately thereafter.

The 54-year-old Manuel served as Mets first base and outfield coach in 2005. He was Manager of the Chicago White Sox (1998-2003) and led them to an American League best record of 95-67 in 2000. He was named 2000 Major League Manager of the Year by Associated Press and American League Manager of the Year by the Baseball Writers Association of America and the Sporting News. He previously was bench coach for the 2007 World Champion Florida Marlins following six seasons as third base coach for the Montreal Expos.

Oberkfell was the Manager of New Orleans Zephyrs of the Pacific Coast League, his fourth year managing the Mets Triple-A affiliate. He previously managed the Binghamton Mets (AA) of the Eastern League after leading the St. Lucie Mets (A) to the 2003 Florida State League championship in his second season in the Mets minor league system.

Warthen returned to the organization this year joining Oberkfell as pitching coach in New Orleans following two seasons as the bullpen coach for the Los Angeles Dodgers. He was a coach in the Mets minor league system from 2003-2005. Warthen was pitching coach for the Detroit Tigers (1999-2002), San Diego Padres (1996-97), and Seattle Mariners (1992).

Aguayo, as Mets Field Coordinator, oversaw spring training for the minor league teams, extended spring training, and the Mets’ fall instructional league team. A ten-year Major League veteran, he played with the Cleveland Indians (1989), New York Yankees (1988), and Philadelphia Phillies (1980-88).

AP:

New York Mets fire manager Willie Randolph
    26 minutes ago

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) Willie Randolph is out as manager of the New York Mets, fired 2 1/2 months into a disappointing season that has followed the team's colossal collapse last September.

Bench coach Jerry Manuel takes over on an interim basis for Randolph, who led the Mets to within one win of the 2006 World Series. They got off to a strong start again last year but plummeted down the stretch and have been unable to rebound.

A preseason favorite to win the NL pennant, the $138 million Mets (34-35) had won two in a row when Randolph was let go early Tuesday morning making him the first major league manager to get fired this season.

Comment

Absolutely shitty the way this whole thing was handled. I'll always love this team, and root for it 100%, but I just lost a whole lot of respect for the Wilpons. According to Coleman on WFAN, they ordered him to fly to Anaheim to fire everyone after tonight's win. Why make these guys fly across country for ONE game after weeks of spinning in the wind? Makes no sense and was COMPLETELY classless. Say what you want, but everyone at LEAST deserved some damn respect. I agree w/ the firing, but NOT how it was handled.

Comment

Mets fire Willie Randolph

Comment

Did you not believe me?

Comment

sorry Joe, just been searching like a mad man as soon as you posted

Comment

Wow. Make the guy fly across the country and then fire him. Good piece of running your business.
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Almost Famous

I sleep underneath a picture that I keep of you next to me
              I realize we're magnetized - WILCO

Comment

How the heck could the Mets screw this up even further?! This is incredible.

Comment

What the f*ck is going on with this organization?! Really...all feelings aside, Omar Minaya ends up looking like the biggest moron in baseball.

The wrong guy got fired. Period. He's had the next best winning percentage to Davey Johnson and brought us within a game of the world series just two years ago.

After Minaya, I would fire some players before firing Randolph.

This team is done. And not only for this year. Nothing will ever improve until the whole upper management culture changes. The Wilpons are a joke. We get within a game of the World Series, we are in position to go to the post season again the following year, and NOW we think it's because of Willie that things stunk this year?! Maybe it's because has-beens like Alou, Castillo, Delgado, Pedro, Schneider, Anderson are a year older and clogging our roster....

This move sucks. This TEAM sucks. And Omar sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by UConnMike View Post
                    Absolutely shitty the way this whole thing was handled. I'll always love this team, and root for it 100%, but I just lost a whole lot of respect for the Wilpons. According to Coleman on WFAN, they ordered him to fly to Anaheim to fire everyone after tonight's win. Why make these guys fly across country for ONE game after weeks of spinning in the wind? Makes no sense and was COMPLETELY classless.
                    I agree with you 100%

Say what you want about Willie, but he never disrespected anyone and never said anything bad about this city, even when fans spewed all sorts of sh*t at him.

The Wilpons are classless, disrespectful pricks who are out of touch with reality. Fred is an elitist prick who raised a completely brainless piece of crap who will drive this franchise further into a hole for YEARS to come.

They win two in a row, are actually playing some ball finally, and now the Wilpons just crush any momentum they had going.

Genius.

They can go f*ck themselves.

Comment

The timing of this has me scratching not only my head, but my a$$ and my b***s too...

Comment

I can't believe that I am saying this, but I am very disappointed.

First off, after that infamous meeting, I think they actually did show a lot more fire in the belly as a team (the lack of which was my basic problem with Randolph). I cannot really pin any of the "post meeting" losses on him. They lost three out of the four in San Diego because they could not score in a notorious pitchers park when they were missing both Alou and Church. Then they lost the fourth and two others because of Wagner. None of those, I feel, can be placed on the manager.

Secondly, and obviously, the timing and manner of it are not befitting of the men being let go and a horrible black mark on the organization. Aramark pulled this same crap with my father after 29 years of employment (making him drive all the way to Pennsylvania to tell him he was shitcanned). If you ask me, I think that Fred Wilpon appears to be a very classy gentleman (although Nelson Doubleday might disagree. . .the 1986 transfer of ownership percentage was supposedly very underhanded) but the apple has fallen very far from the tree with regards to Jeffy.

Comment

I just tore the Mets a brand new one. But Mike Vaccaro really did a job on them in the post.

To do it in the middle of the night was just cowardly.

Comment

Fred Wilpon is rich. That's it. Rich doesn't equal class.

In fact, very often, it's the opposite.

And the children of these classless rich people are even worse.

This team is the epitome of pathetic right now.

Comment

Again and Again, the Wilpons prove that they are bumbling idiots when it comes to running a baseball team. They might know real estate, but baseball....ahhhh NO.

Comment

Working...
                              X