"No Way Jose"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "No Way Jose"

That's what Fred Wilpon said 5 years ago, when A. Soriano was offered up for Jose Reyes. Does anyone else get the feeling that Reyes is what he is and his ceiling has been reached? I've grown tired of his act and hindsight being 20/20, I'd probably have done that trade.
    WWW.MYSPACE.COM/THOSEHIPPOCRITES

Originally posted by Shooter Mcgavin View Post
    That's what Fred Wilpon said 5 years ago, when A. Soriano was offered up for Jose Reyes. Does anyone else get the feeling that Reyes is what he is and his ceiling has been reached? I've grown tired of his act and hindsight being 20/20, I'd probably have done that trade.
    I think you're nuts in all due respect. Soriano is a terrible defensive player that has gotten hurt the last few years. He doesn't get on base enough he doesn't steal as many bases anymore and his power numbers have been down the past few years. He shouldn't be a leadoff hitter but he sulks and whines when moved out of that spot. Personally I take Reyes over him now and obviously over the next five years. Reyes will get soon enough and put up the type of numbers that few players ever have.
    Last edited by graves9; 05-06-2009, 11:38 PM.
    For the Wright haters. Wright's career numbers with runners on 2nd and 3rd
    .343/.481/.600 /1.081

Runner on 3rd, less than 2 out
    .419/.431/.671/1.102

Comment

Shooter should change his name to "I No Post" or something equally clever.
      Originally posted by Luscious Johnny D.
      Because I fear no man. I feel no pain. This is why I don't play with a full deck. In my world, there are no rules. You wanna step over the line, I'll run across it. And when I turn to look to see how far behind you are, you will see into the soul of the sickest man God's hands have ever created. For those who need a visual, here ya go.

Comment

Originally posted by graves9 View Post
        I think you're nuts in all due respect. Soriano is a terrible defensive player that has gotten hurt the last few years. He doesn't get on base enough he doesn't steal as many bases anymore and his power numbers have been down the past few years He shouldn''t be a leadoff hitter but he sulks and whines when moved out of that spot. Personally I take Reyes over him now and obviously over the next five years. Reyes will get soon enough and put up the type of numbers that few players ever have.
        I'll be the first one to tell you Soriano is over-rated but Reyes has not lived up to his hype. If you look at the pure offensive stats Soriano is the better player to this point.
        WWW.MYSPACE.COM/THOSEHIPPOCRITES

Comment

I'll be the first one to tell you Soriano is over-rated but Reyes has not lived up to his hype. If you look at the pure offensive stats Soriano is the better player to this point.
          If you look at pure defensive stats, Murphy is the worst player in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by metfish View Post
            If you look at pure defensive stats, Murphy is the worst player in baseball.
            Huh? What does Murphy have to do with this thread?
            For the Wright haters. Wright's career numbers with runners on 2nd and 3rd
            .343/.481/.600 /1.081

Runner on 3rd, less than 2 out
            .419/.431/.671/1.102

Comment

Reyes 3-year average: 196 hits, 118 runs, 34 doubles, 16 triples, 16 homers, 69 RBIs, 66 SBs, .292/.355/.461

Soriano 3-year average: 160 hits, 97 runs, 37 doubles, 2 triples, 36 homers, 80 RBIs, 26 SBs, .285/.345/.552

How exactly is Reyes not living up to his hype? The only category Sori is legitimately better in is homers and he spends most of his time hitting in Wrigley, which is much nicer than Shea. Throw in age and position and Reyes is better player to have.

Comment

So just so I have this straight; you consider a guy who puts up above-average offense, is one of the fastest players in the league, plays a premier defensive position, and was a two-time All-Star while receiving MVP votes in 4 different seasons all by the time he turned 25 to be a disappointment because you somehow feel this doesn't match up to what you think you were promised?

Comment

Where can the Mets get more players like Reyes who don't live up to the hype?
                  "Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him."

Comment

Hes not hitting 30 HRs and 130 RBIs like promised, lets trade him..

Comment

There were a bunch of hysterical "OMG he's over hyped, what a waste, he'll never be what we thought" threads about him this time last season too. He then went on to have his usual season. They were nonsense, this is too.
                      "There have been artists who have failed to capture dichotomy as beautifully as the Mets have in playing Wilmer Flores at shortstop and Juan Lagares in center field."

Comment

What exactly did the hype portray Reyes to be?

Comment

Reyes is fine at what he does. He can improve in some areas, sure, but I'd MUCH rather have Reyes than Soriano. He's at a far more important position, and is more of an asset to his teams production than Soriano is.
                          2015 NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
                          2016 NATIONAL LEAGUE WILD CARD WINNER

Comment

Other than yourself and Jersey? No.

Comment

.290 15 HR, 60 SB, 110 Runs

I think this is the low end of what you can expect from Reyes, and would be very happy with that.
                              Give me your tired, your poor,
                              Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
                              The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
                              Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
                              I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Comment

Working...
                              X