Baseball and Recession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball and Recession

I was thinking about how to compare the baseball industry to other big, blue chip industries during bad economic times. You can't. For example, if GM or Ford has a bad year or string of bad years/quarters, they can cut thousands of jobs and close plants and put together long-term turnaround plans. A baseball team is like a GM or...

More...

For Mets fans, it should be titled Baseball and Depression.
    The 2018 Mets - making the Titanic look buoyant.

Comment

The owners probably knew the recession was coming. That's why they built smaller stadiums\fields for their teams.

Comment

An interesting point I read in somewhere in the last week concerning the Dolphins. Apparently Huiezenga (sp?) is trying to sell them and is looking to move them soon before a possible Obama presidency and a likely raising of the capital gains tax. Something I never really thought about.
        NickPapagiorgio Posting Alert System (current status): Green

Comment

Good I hope the Wilpons lose a 100 mil a year for the next 3 years and are forced to sell this team, thats the only way Met fans will be happy again.

Comment

Originally posted by metboy98 View Post
            Good I hope the Wilpons lose a 100 mil a year for the next 3 years and are forced to sell this team, thats the only way Met fans will be happy again.
            word
            The 2018 Mets - making the Titanic look buoyant.

Comment

Originally posted by metboy98 View Post
              You never know, the next owner could be even worse.

Comment

I got my refund letter in the mail. They actually give you like 6 business days to mail in a piece of paper to claim your refund.

The pricing matrix for the new plans comes out sometime in November, I probably wont do it, however, If I take the refund now, will they not give me first dibs on a 15 pack should i be interested?
                "The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Almost Famous

I sleep underneath a picture that I keep of you next to me
                I realize we're magnetized - WILCO

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax View Post
                  You never know, the next owner could be even worse.
                  Couldn't agree more. Personally I am not on the blame Wilpons for everything bandwagon. Imagine if they sell the team and the Dolans (a real possibility if you ask me) buy it. That would be about 10 million times worse.
                  NickPapagiorgio Posting Alert System (current status): Green

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax View Post
                    The owners probably knew the recession was coming. That's why they built smaller stadiums\fields for their teams.

LOL, Did you really just type that and if nothing else do you actually believe that? You think that a small period in time would influence the building of a new stadium that should last for decade(s)? A stadium, mind you, that a person like myself who does pretty well won't see the inside of for years because I refuse to pay huuuge prices for a game. Yeah, the recession was foreseen by baseball owners who told nobody. THAT was the behind the scenes story regarding all the new parks and there limitations regarding seating. It wasn't ego, revenue, or vanity....it was the recession. Priceless!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X