No announcement yet.

Matz to Blue Jays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clearing a rotation spot and 5.2 million for Bauer. DeGrom, Bauer, Carrasco, Stroman, Peterson lets go

A guy that probably should have been non-tendered brings back some bullpen depth in the upper minors can't complain with that.
    My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Good deal for both teams assuming this leads to a Bauer signing. Matz was horrible last year but generally produced decent numbers for a back end starter. He's just been really inconsistent. He'll look really good and really bad start to start. Didn't go deep enough into games. Still young. Lefty. Throws 95+. Never lived up to his debute season but could still figure it out.

The Mets got some pitching depth in the upper minors which is good because they have really nothing that's mlb ready
      ​​​​​

Comment

It's tough to give up talent and get back players who'll be bullpen with not a lot of upside at the ML level but Matz's time was done here. Decent deal to clear some salary.

There's also talk that the Angels chances at signing Bauer are close to zero at this point. Salary and Micky Callaway seem to be the main reasons why.

Comment

Another trade for more pitching depth with Yamamoto. Again might be reading too much into it but this seems straight out of the Sandy play book. "why sign the big guy when I can get 10 trash players and hope one works out."

They seem really focused on collecting mediocre pitching depth when I have to ask who plays if Nimmo gets hurt? If there's a DH the bench this year is Nido and ?

Comment

I don't have a big issue with the Yamamoto trade. He's cheap and it's not like they gave up anything for him. If he was now scheduled to be the #3 starter I'd have an issue. But, a guy who might be the 5th starter (or less) until Syndergaard is back isn't a big concern for me.

I do agree that it's Feb and there's still a few holes that need to big filled. If they are waiting on Bauer they need to give a deadline and if he's still dragging his feet at that point move on.

Comment

Originally posted by dak11 View Post
              I do agree that it's Feb and there's still a few holes that need to big filled. If they are waiting on Bauer they need to give a deadline and if he's still dragging his feet at that point move on.
              Tin foil hat wearers think the Callaway story was timed so that the Angels could fire Mickey, and clear the way to sign Bauer.

Plus it’s more to pile on the Mets, and MLB’s lack of a vetting process when it comes to potential hires.

NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
              The Batman Universe! Your source for all Batman related news and commentary
              Place To Be Nation: The Only Place To Be In Your Pop Culture World
              Twitter Baseball: @SJRMets

Comment

Originally posted by dak11 View Post
                I don't have a big issue with the Yamamoto trade. He's cheap and it's not like they gave up anything for him. If he was now scheduled to be the #3 starter I'd have an issue. But, a guy who might be the 5th starter (or less) until Syndergaard is back isn't a big concern for me.

Dont have an issue with it either....honestly seems like a decent low risk deal... again just believe its their real strategy rather than going for Bauer / an established starter. It reeks of the Hefner, Chris Young, Dice Mak, Aaron Harang - throw a bunch of crap against the wall and hope 1 sticks approach to roster building that always seems to come back and play a FAR bigger role than it should...instead of having 5 solid starters and using those guys as 6-8 where you know you'll need them, but it shouldn't be more than a handful of starts. At this point I just have no expectation that they are going out and spending any more significant money this offseason - I think its pretty obvious whatever offer they have out there for Bauer is the max they are giving and he has 0 interest in it....and we're putting a lot on Peterson to build on 2020 and expecting this collection of Yomama, Lucci, Kilorme to fill in 15-20 starts and hope Thor comes back for the remaining 15-20.... YIKES

Toss in that this pen is still majorly lacking - leaning on Familia and Betances a lot. 0 bench outside of C which at least has decent defensive options with Nido/Sanchez.. tick, tock Sandy

Comment

Working...
                X