Jays get Springer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jays get Springer

6/150 supposedly. Supposedly the Mets offered 6/125.

Look I didn't want to pay him $150 but I also figured 6 years was off the table...IF you were willing to go 6 years already what the hell is an extra 25 mil at that point? I thought these were the kind of deals we weren't supposed to lose out on now.

Hopefully they don't compound this whiff by signing JBJ.

I'm OK with it. I know Springer was a good fit but I wasn't that high on giving him $25 mil a year to begin with and never over 6 years. I personally wouldn't want to pay him until age 38.

Yes, Cohen has a ton of money he could use to go out and get anyone but I like that they are still making good long term financial decisions on players. My problem with the 'what the hell is an extra 25 mil at that point' type of view is that it sets a precedence in that the next guy will ask for that extra year and then the next guy, etc.

This is not a situation where every hole needs to be filled in one off season. They made some good moves so far and not using that $25 mil on Springer opens up a bunch of potential other moves, most notably adding Hand in the bullpen. It also keeps the door ajar for Bauer, though I tend to think that's a long shot unless his expected contract comes down.

Comment

While the team would be significantly better with Springer, and I agree with the sentiment that the difference shouldn't really break the bank, I guess they're looking at the perspective of wanting to lock up Lindor, give extensions to people like Conforto and Thor, while still needing the space to get some more pitching. And right now, after picking up Lindor, I would place another starter and releiver as more important while upgrading the defense. They're certainly not lacking for offense at the moment.
      "There have been artists who have failed to capture dichotomy as beautifully as the Mets have in playing Wilmer Flores at shortstop and Juan Lagares in center field."

Comment

Then you have to question is Springer /Gimenez + 150 mil to spend better than Lindor/and a guy hitting .230 in CF? Or how about let Nido catch and save 40 mil you spent on a 1 year wonder at catcher? Lindor is going to cost 8-10 years and 300 mil if we're operating under a budget.... that's a concern...

It was a good trade don't get me wrong but CF and 3B are massive defensive liabilities for this team and yes they are still short a starting pitcher. Finish the job. SS wasnt a need for this club so I don't like the Lindor move now being a crutch for every move that came before or after.

This goes back to my concerns with Sandy.... His ability to reel in top tier FAs - we skipped JT and now Springer to trade for Lindor is basically how Sandy has framed this.... He said signing MCann allowed them to make the trade. Now 4 mil per on Springer is because we're worried about signing Lindor...

We're skipping Bauer because hey we got Lindor and Cookie

Hand was a sure thing a few days ago now there's 4 teams in the mix and we're looking at guys with eras of 5 like Jefferies... But it was fine to throw 7+ mil per for a couple of years at May with a career 4.40 era.

This all is bringing back lots of bad memories from Sandy's first run here .. I hope he makes me eat crow before I see 10+ mil being tossed JBJ way or grabbing Keke to "McEwing" his way to uselessness and Hand signing heading to LA while nothing is added to the rotation because "Thor will be our big midseason move" and now we have competition for Matz by gutting more of the farm for a soft tossing lefty with an 8 era last year...

​​​​​

Comment

Should have offered 4 years 120. Only 30 mil less and you can frame it that he'd get one more large payday in Free Agency at 35. Fromm all accounts staying under the luxury tax for 2021 only was some kind of gentleman's handshake/agreement Cohen had to make to the rest of the owners, so they had to be more creative salary wise this year. They still have like 26 mil to go or so until the reach the tax limit. Plenty to get JBJ and Hand.
          My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

JBJ sucks tho. 1. He's lefty in a lefty heavy line up. 2. He's a .230 hitter. Might as well bring back Jake for a fraction of the price at that point.

If they are improving CF it better be thru trade at this point. Otherwise stick with Nimmo get a late inning sub and focus on pitching ... Or go sign a 2b/3b so we don't have to watch Davis butcher plays over there

Comment

Agreed on JBJ. He's not a good fit. Marisnick is basically a right hand hitting JBJ who should come cheaper. I don't see the big issue with just playing Nimmo out there. He's a big offensive upgrade over JBJ where I'd deal with his average D. JBJ just seems like a move for moves sake.

Unless a trade happens I don't see how Davis doesn't play 3B. He's a RH power bat in a lefty dominant line-up.

Comment

I cannot be too critical for the Mets not matching/beating a 6 year/$150 million offer. Not with Lindor, Conforto and Thor all coming up on FA. That said, the remaining FA CF's don't look too exciting. JBJ is the most talked about option, but Delino DeShields may be interesting, too (is he still out there?). Only a .246 hitter, but RH and a good defensive CF. Probably available for a reasonable contract.

If that doesn't work out, you bite down, swallow hard and let Nimmo play CF (who's next on the depth chart???) hoping that his defense can keep up. There's always next year's FA crop. Nobody said this was all going to get done in one offseason.

Comment

Davis absolutely should be in the lineup....they need his bat, but I'm kind of hoping its as a DH.... I'm not sold that the Mets are going to run Dom Smith out to LF most days either. Davis at 3B is likely around a 20+ error, -15+ DRS type player there. He's not great in LF either, but definitely better than 3B. Smith doesn't look it but has been okay in LF by the numbers. Guillorme isn't an everyday player. Need a defensive player somewhere (who's not a 0 on offense) - CF, 2B, 3B, take your pick on what makes sense.

I just dont want to waste another year of DeGrom...he'll be 33 this year.... Carassco is 34......the clock is ticking there...and as people mentioned with Thor, Conforto, Lindor, Stroman, etc all due for contracts after this year, plus Cano back fully on the books are they really going to spend much beyond that? Dont forget Alonso, McNeil, enter Arb next year too - granted first year so it wont get crazy, but its going to be significantly more than the sub 1 mil they are making now...Smith and Nimmo will be due pretty good size bumps and the only guys coming off the books are Familia and Stroman with 0 help coming from the minors. While we dont have to get it all in a year, I'm not sold there's going to be any splash moves made next year as they are going to have to significantly go over the tax just to keep the guys they have...and as constructed they are not a WS contending team IMO. Terrible defense combined with a ton of questions in the starting rotation usually leads to a lot of frustration.

Good with potential, but largely underachieving is what this team has been the since 2015...

Comment

You don't need a bat in every spot in the lineup. I think we already have "enough" at the top where one crappy bat won't hurt the lineup and he'll more than make up it in the field. Offense wasn't a problem last year and we added Lindor to the same team. Defense up the middle needs to be a priority.
                    My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

If you believe in Mccann and that Davis' D won't play him off being an everyday guy then yeah on paper they do. I don't think it's much of a stretch to see McCann hitting .240 and Guillorme hitting .230 being in the lineup plus a JBJ type ... And tho I'm 90% sure we'll see the DH this year if not, you've now got a black hole at 6,7,8 spots in the lineup
                      Just go get someone to play 3B and everything falls into place. Yeah Nimmo, Smith, Conforto isn't a pretty OF, but if it's behind Alonso, McNeil, Lindor, McCann, +3B glove it'll be fine.

My complaints about Springer isn't because I think he was a must get - when this off-season started I said Bauer and 3B were more important to me than CF - It's more about Sandy's track record in FAs - tends to live in and over pay in that second and third tiers - and how he goes about building a team.

Comment

sp/c/cf/bp.........3b..................................... ....ss were the top needs..in that order..

I had 3b upgrade as last on list of needed upgrades..actually next to last...ss was last if even on the list...as I wanted/expected Giminez to play there..and was curious to try rosario at 3b..or at worst...2b with mcneil 3b..but not sold on mcneil defensively at 3b either..but Lindor fell in their lap..so how can you not accept the upgrade..so fine change direction and alter the master plan....C to me was the #1 need with Sp ..I wanted jt as target...fine..they did their hw allegedly..they get feeling he doesn't want to come unless massive overpay...sandy move swiftly to plan be..McCann a..nice /acceptable consolation prize seemingly..sp..Bauer demands..and presumed likely hood would be a long drawn out negotiation..sandy pivots and gets cookie..cheaper and viable alternative...fine..kudos...all these moves pointed to having ability (since both moves deemed cheaper alternatives) to push chips in on springer....or so we thought... inthink sandy misread market..the minute jays got spurned by djl ..you knew they were gonna push all their chips in on springer and create a bidding war..you bow out...your choice..but the problem was/is.. the consolation prize for next best cf option is off the cliff in terms of talent..and because of this..one can argue cf should have been deemed higher on list..perhaps even above catcher..where one could (as many teams do) put a weak hitting above average C behind the plate..ala slightly better Nido.?

Couple sandy admitting the cf addition preference was to rh, rightly so...now the market in terms of option is even more limited..and even less options next offseason as well via fa..

The uncertainty of dh has not helped this equation..and its ridiculous mlb hasn't officially made call either way..

So what to do now...my personal player to target tarto check availability of Cain..yes he older...but only 2 years keft..so not locked in longterm..still considered upper echelon defensively..and since make good money..price would presumably not be high..perhaps throw back familia to offset salary as well..

After that..idk..I think I take it as an L...go defensive platoon caddie...and leave open the possibility of addressing at trade deadline where more option will present themselves...

One more bp piece (lh) needs to be added as well.
                        ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Citifield & Mets...the place where Sluggers Careers go to DIE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLzr2Al_Os

Comment

Cain? You mean the guy scheduled to be paid $35 mil over the next 2 seasons? Why would we want to take on that salary over 2 seasons? I know you mentioned off loading Familia in the dal to offset salary but you're still talking a relative cheap 2021 at around $6 mil and then $18 mil in 2022.

Add in he missed most of 2021 after only hitting .260/.325 the year before so I question why this would be a good move?
                          Last edited by dak11; 01-23-2021, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dak11 View Post
                            Cain? You mean the guy scheduled to be paid $35 mil over the next 2 seasons? Why would we want to take on that salary over 2 seasons? I know you mentioned off loading Familia in the dal to offset salary but you're still talking a relative cheap 2021 at around $6 mil and then $18 mil in 2022.

Add in he missed most of 2021 after only hitting .260/.325 the year before so I question why this would be a good move?
                            From what I have heard..he still provides great defense..and offensively..had below par year..but the metrics suggested he had hit into bad luck..so overall I think he still has something left in tank..and its SHORT term..two year risk..with familia offset..really one year (last year) There arre no fa available next offseason either..so makes next year covered at th position to boot..the CURRENT names talked about..I take him over all of them..especially if Bradly wants multi-year overpriced deal that I hear he is demanding too ..plus he is lh.. and want rh.. I dont even know if he is available..only one article assumed he "could" be if they looking to dump salary.. ALl this will be moot anyway if they pay premium on Bauer or for whatever reason bring in a contract at 3b.. but as far as RH cf.. if he is available..I am interested.
                            ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Citifield & Mets...the place where Sluggers Careers go to DIE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLzr2Al_Os

Comment

Thankfully the Red Sox saved the Mets from themselves throwing 7 mil per at Keke --- now hopefully someone signs JBJ before Sandy gets ideas.... Just bring back Jake and move on.

Sounds like Hand is signing in the next 2-3 days, Jays and Angles the other bidders - lets see if the Mets watch another perfect fit go to those big spenders north of the border.

Comment

Working...
                              X