X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 86mets
    replied
    Originally posted by Led, the Revenge View Post

This is pure Wilponian. He's so inexperienced that he might hurt himself learning to play the position, so we'd better not let him learn how to play said position....
    ..and wait til REGULAR SEASON to learn on the fly...makes sense..lol

Leave a comment:

• Led, the Revenge
    replied
    Mets keep Smith out of left temporarily as a precaution The Mets don't want to take the injury chance as he slowly transitions to a full-time leftfielder.
    This is pure Wilponian. He's so inexperienced that he might hurt himself learning to play the position, so we'd better not let him learn how to play said position....

Leave a comment:

• Jersey Shore
    replied
    Corrasco sidelined with elbow soreness.

Leave a comment:

• MrHat
    replied
    Originally posted by 86mets View Post

Was saying Mets would try for 8...lindor probably 12 like you say..so Mid point 10.. The market will be different as well..several ss hit open market as well.. "timing" is also part of this..Betts hit market at right moment.. "weak" fa market.. imo

Good with Walker..had him on my short list of targets..under radar high upside type signing.. wish there were more options like that on the market left for bp..imo the bigger need..
    The "next" guy always BREAKS the market in some way. He's going to want more than Tatis or Betts in $$ whether thats "per" or total value. Years are always up for debate, but in the end they aren't getting him for less than 350/10......it might be 12/380. I think the FA market really wont have much to do with it when you're labelled as a top 5/10 player in the game

Leave a comment:

• MrHat
    replied
    So he gets 2 years 17 mil and a player option for year 3 that can be worth 8.5 or 3 mil buyout. Surprised they spent that much to be honest. I figured 2/15 was about the cap for Sandy on anyone and really doubted he'd go more than 1 year with an option on Walker. So in that regard I have to give him props. It's an overpay - lets be honest. Paxton offers the same upside and settled for 1 year and 8.5. Rich Hill is another guy who can't stay healthy but is really good when he is, only got 3 mil. So its head scratching to me when they can't afford 2-3 mil more on another player, but then hand out a deal like this....whatever

Price aside I don't mind the signing, nor do I mind that he's probably not a 30 start 200 inning guy...when he's healthy, he's good. He comes into the year healthy and he's the 5th starter....meaning medicore/but durable guys like Lucceshi and Thor coming back are now DEPTH not badly needed. That's how you build a good rotation

Leave a comment:

• dak11
    replied
    Originally posted by Led, the Revenge View Post

A guy who has never reached 170 innings, threw 15 in 2018, 1 in 2019 and 43 last year.

My concerns about starting pitching remain.
    Agreed. I want to see the terms of the deal though for 2021 I'm fine with his 150 innings as long as most come early in the season. Once we get to June/July you start having more options like Thor returning and trades to fill any holes.

Leave a comment:

• dak11
    replied

Was saying Mets would try for 8...lindor probably 12 like you say..so Mid point 10.. The market will be different as well..several ss hit open market as well.. "timing" is also part of this..Betts hit market at right moment.. "weak" fa market.. imo

Good with Walker..had him on my short list of targets..under radar high upside type signing.. wish there were more options like that on the market left for bp..imo the bigger need..
    IMO the only way Lindor takes 10 is if he tests the market and that's the best deal out there. If you're looking to lock him up prior to reaching FA it will take 12 years. I honestly don't see any chance of him signing for 10 years (or less) unless the average per year still brings it into that mid 300's area.
    Last edited by dak11; 02-19-2021, 10:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Led, the Revenge
    replied
    Originally posted by dak11 View Post
    Reports are that the Mets signed Walker.

https://twitter.com/martinonyc/statu...40039214596102
    A guy who has never reached 170 innings, threw 15 in 2018, 1 in 2019 and 43 last year.

My concerns about starting pitching remain.

Leave a comment:

• 86mets
    replied
    Originally posted by dak11 View Post

Lindor is 27 this season. No reason for him not to open with 12 years and push that. I find it very unlikely he agrees to only 8 after the last few giant contracts.

Harper was 26 when he got 13 years.
    Machado was 26 and got 10 years
    Betts was 27 and got 12 years
    Trout was 27 and got 12 years.
    Cole was 29 and a pitcher and got 9 years

I'm expecting more like Betts - 12 years $360.

I thinking Conforto/Thor will depend on their contract expectations. Thor is more likely if he shows he's healthy given you have the ability to let Stroman walk and use his salary next year towards what you pay him.

Leave a comment:

• dak11
    replied

Perhaps he would have..tatis younger..so Lindor wont get the same length..but certainly the average.. Im thinking more 280/8 he will ask for 10 years..perhaps Mets give it to him for cbt purposes..bringing total down to 300-320?

Reports were that Lindor was Cohen's prize target form jump..will find it shocking he allows Sandy to let him walk..especially with the pressure of how this offseason came out..

Will not say the same for Conforto/Thor negotiations..dont have the same strong sense/guarantee those are slam dunk returnees..
    Lindor is 27 this season. No reason for him not to open with 12 years and push that. I find it very unlikely he agrees to only 8 after the last few giant contracts.

Harper was 26 when he got 13 years.
    Machado was 26 and got 10 years
    Betts was 27 and got 12 years
    Trout was 27 and got 12 years.
    Cole was 29 and a pitcher and got 9 years

I'm expecting more like Betts - 12 years $360.

I thinking Conforto/Thor will depend on their contract expectations. Thor is more likely if he shows he's healthy given you have the ability to let Stroman walk and use his salary next year towards what you pay him.

Leave a comment:

• dak11
    replied
    Reports are that the Mets signed Walker.

https://twitter.com/martinonyc/statu...40039214596102

Leave a comment:

• 86mets
    replied
    Originally posted by MrHat View Post

Brody also wouldn't have done the move without locking Lindor up right away. The market just got set with Tatis. They'll have to beat that now. Do you see Sandy spending 350+ mil on Lindor? The fact that he got him for less is meaningless if he walks after this year
    Perhaps he would have..tatis younger..so Lindor wont get the same length..but certainly the average.. Im thinking more 280/8 he will ask for 10 years..perhaps Mets give it to him for cbt purposes..bringing total down to 300-320?

Reports were that Lindor was Cohen's prize target form jump..will find it shocking he allows Sandy to let him walk..especially with the pressure of how this offseason came out..

Will not say the same for Conforto/Thor negotiations..dont have the same strong sense/guarantee those are slam dunk returnees..

Leave a comment:

• MrHat
    replied

Not debating your main points..and totally agree that the offseason started with a bang and has fizzled out big time..

Point I'm making is that all mlb felt we stole/won the trade in terms of talent given up..all I was saying was Brodie would have lost the negotiation and likely given up Alvarez or Allan..so at very least we still have those bullets in chamber..but yes..the "FA" strategy has been very disappointing thus far ..
    Brody also wouldn't have done the move without locking Lindor up right away. The market just got set with Tatis. They'll have to beat that now. Do you see Sandy spending 350+ mil on Lindor? The fact that he got him for less is meaningless if he walks after this year

Leave a comment:

• Led, the Revenge
    replied
    Also seeing Sandy apologists and Cohen acolytes (he's better than the Wilpons and I too was ecstatic, but he could easily end up being a bad owner) excuse this because apparently Rosenthal wanted to close.

So? Let him. The bullpen is thin and shaky as hell. After 2019 Diaz shouldn't be guaranteed the role. Let him earn it again. Get the talent that is badly needed. And if that was an issue, why target him at all? Why pass on Hand or Wilson.

They would have been a 70 win team last season in a full year. Do we honestly think Lindor, Carrasco and some meh signings vaults that over the Braves? Jake is the only pitcher you can assume for 180 innings. While every team has the same issue of pitchers being less stretched out, our number 3 pitched ZERO innings last year. The promising rookie hadn't pitched deep before his short season last year. And who the **** is the 5th starter? We're relying on THIS bullpen to cover the shortfall? Sandys collection of slop depth?

Their pitching is an incredibly weak house of cards, and given that's what did the team in last year (along with defense, which has only been slightly addressed) it's incredible that Sandy has once again ignored it.

Leave a comment:

• Led, the Revenge
    replied
    And for only 1 year at $11m. After all the bluster of now they can overpay for needed talent, using money instead of trading prospects, Sandy went right back to his usual MO of stubbornly offering what he thinks a player is worth and not what the market dictates, and winning his own personal victories instead of, you know, the coming season.

During his previous time he would pull off that one move a season like trading for Wheeler or Nothing, then resting on those laurels and having no further follow up beyond spreading his available resources about on mediocre players and thinking he's found bounce back candidates (that got way too much rope) rather than securing an impact player. I was never a fan, and I think after this off-season, we can only blame the Wilpons so much.

As Hat has said, I have no faith in him locking up Lindor or existing players for what they're worth. His stubborn ego just won't allow it. Instead, we'll get another chocolate box quip. We just have to hope Cohen is as ruthless here as in his business and cans his ass after a lack of results in a future off-season.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X