Plandy Balderschlong is back with a vengeance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://nypost.com/2020/12/23/steve-...ign-everybody/

“As a fan they want me to sign everybody tomorrow, but is that a sustainable strategy?” Cohen said. “Ultimately you want to develop talent. You want to develop your farm system. To me that is the most sustainable way to create a winning team year in and year out. Yes, you can go buy players, but you buy players that are in their 30s potentially and we know there’s plenty of data that suggests performance of players tends to decline once they are in their early 30s.”

Cohen reiterated that he’s leaving baseball decisions to the front office, headed by team president Sandy Alderson, and won’t interfere.

“Everybody wants to win now — I want to win now,” Cohen said. “But I also don’t want to put ourselves in a position where if we don’t win now we have just hampered our ability to win down the road. As I am learning, these are hard decisions. They are not easy decisions and you are dealing with imperfect information because you do not know how they are going to perform as they go through the contract.

“The data suggests if you sign enough players in their 30s you are going to regress to a mean and you are going to end up with potentially mediocre performance if you sign enough of them. … I’ve got to bridge that gap. Right now the farm system, at least the upper levels, isn’t where we want it to be.”
    I mean, he's not wrong about the impact of having a team full of older players, and wanting to build the farm as a general rule - but this is straight out of Sandy's playbook. Reasons to not strike for the top players, that are in total contradiction to their only two FA signings being guys in their 30's - one for four years! And even if they did get Springer and Bauer the bulk of the starting team is still young.

The 30's worry feels like such a cop out. The team as is needs some serious talent to go from mediocre to contending. Whether they sign them or not, the upper minors is still totally devoid of talent and unable to help for a few years yet, unable to contribute to his desire for a WS in 3-5 years. And how many 20 something top flight players actually hit FA these days?

This could well be a front, and he'll still slap down his cheque book and get some real talent, but I get more and more convinced this is going to be another year of Sandy stocking up on 2nd and 3rd tier talent and we'll hear about how it's part of the long term Maverick plan. Which is a crock - they can, and should bulk the FO and analytics team whilst also being legit players in the FA market. They need Bauer and more BP help if nothing else - the offense should still be good without Springer.
    "There have been artists who have failed to capture dichotomy as beautifully as the Mets have in playing Wilmer Flores at shortstop and Juan Lagares in center field."

Comment

Exactly and isn't long term payroll issues supposed to be moot with 14 billion in the coffers almost 3 times the 2nd richest owner? In a vacuum you'd be hard pressed to see any difference this off season if the Wilpons were still owners. Put up or shut up. An Arenado salary dump trade should have been made yesterday.
      My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Hell of a deal. Real winner we got here. I hate it when i'm right...

James McCann .210 avg .520 ops
        J.T. Realmuto .313 avg .930 ops

My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

McCann was a given....I'm kinda lost on why Nido isn't getting more time tho. Obviously super small sample, but he's played well

I'm surprised May is actually pitching well...early but I expect him to be a complete bust and outside of opening day he's been good. Same goes with Familia. I'm not going to kill Lindor yet - we've seen plenty of star players come to NY and struggle early before figuring it out (Beltran). - and Rosario/Gimenez aren't doing a damn thing in Cleveland. I kinda figured he'd have a .260 / 15 .750 kind of OPS first year here.

Comment

Play Balderschlong is a fool who was taken out of the petting zoo for having sex with a dwarf goat. by assignment writing service uk

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHA wtf
              My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

At least someone's interested in the Mets these days, even if he's a bot. Is there a new board somewhere, or is everyone done? I used to enjoy the information and the banter here.

Comment

Frank has transformed into a bot?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by TennMets View Post
                    At least someone's interested in the Mets these days, even if he's a bot. Is there a new board somewhere, or is everyone done? I used to enjoy the information and the banter here.
                    Unfortunately, you can’t recreate what this place was at its peak. Lightning in a bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by TennMets View Post
                      I’ve been hanging out on Facebook groups. Specifically one called Mets Give Me Agita by a former formite, and a couple related to Met podcasts.

Much better than Mets Twitter, where twatwaffle trolls attack Yamamoto’s wife during the shellacking after she posted about heading to the game yesterday.
                      NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                      The Batman Universe! Your source for all Batman related news and commentary
                      Place To Be Nation: The Only Place To Be In Your Pop Culture World
                      Twitter Baseball: @SJRMets

Comment

Originally posted by defender View Post

Unfortunately, you can’t recreate what this place was at its peak. Lightning in a bottle.
                        Sad but true.... in the end, it did not die with a bang, but rather a sad pitiful whimper.
                        COME BY THE SCHOOL a year from now you"ll wish you started today

"they all think they’re geniuses who just happen to agree with each other. This creates a near total blindness to facts, data, and opinions that don’t line up with their worldview"

(Originally posted by Attorney General Barr)
                        "it also does not exonerate him"
                        ​​​
                        Semper Fortis......De Oppresso Liber

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeNblueNmyVeins View Post
                          Hell of a deal. Real winner we got here. I hate it when i'm right...

James McCann .210 avg .520 ops
                          J.T. Realmuto .313 avg .930 ops
                          Always good to judge deals a month and a half into the season.

Comment

Yeah my bad now he's hitting .226 with a .662 ops. I mean he's awesome. The best catcher in the game!
                            My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeNblueNmyVeins View Post
                              Yeah my bad now he's hitting .226 with a .662 ops. I mean he's awesome. The best catcher in the game!
                              i certainly have missed our resident Internet tough guy...hey, now that travel is picking backup maybe you can finally bring your scrawny,miserable, stupid, POS, garbage covered ass out here for a visit. would certainly love to see our MOFO internet tough guy.
                              COME BY THE SCHOOL a year from now you"ll wish you started today

"they all think they’re geniuses who just happen to agree with each other. This creates a near total blindness to facts, data, and opinions that don’t line up with their worldview"

(Originally posted by Attorney General Barr)
                              "it also does not exonerate him"
                              ​​​
                              Semper Fortis......De Oppresso Liber

Comment

LOL you're still alive old man? Have a drink.
                                My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Working...
                                X