Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heeee's Baaaack!

https://nypost.com/2020/09/24/steve-...eam-president/

I think Brodie has to see the writing on the wall as GM now.

On edit: I seriously hope we don't see a return of the one size fits all approach to offense Sandy loved, trying to make everyone sit back and hunt for the perfect pitch.

The offense hasn't always been great, but it became better once it became more flexible after his departure.

However, you have to think this is partly to get the approval votes from the other owners, given they're the ones who pushed him on the Wilpons after Madoff.
    "There have been artists who have failed to capture dichotomy as beautifully as the Mets have in playing Wilmer Flores at shortstop and Juan Lagares in center field."

After 2 years of Brodie I’ve really come to appreciate Plandy
    “President Obama is a personal friend of mine,” said Rickles. “He was over to the house yesterday, but the mop broke.”

It's early!!!

Be the kind of person that when your feet hit the floor each morning liberals say "Oh crap he's up"

Comment

One thing Alderson won't do is trade away every decent prospect for his friends.

Comment

Originally posted by dak11 View Post
        One thing Alderson won't do is trade away every decent prospect for his friends.
        Absolutely.... in fact I'd say his trades were mostly on the winning side...some significantly. BUT I still really question his ability to court any actual talent on the team. His drafts were not nearly as aggressive as Brody's have been (we wont see the impact of this for a few more years, but he was able to get a bunch of "unsignable" 1st round talent in later rounds creating some heavily stacked drafts....very Yankee-esque). He was not active in the international market.

Plus his FA signings were horrific. I mean we know he was asked to shop at the dollar store most days, but think about all the middling overpays he did over the years as well... There was Colon maybe Marlon Byrd and uhhh that's about it in the success column that I can remember.... a bunch of throw away money on a huge list of middle relievers / 5th starters that pretty much all sucked DJ Carrasco, Miguel Batista, Chris Capuano, Young, etc...the big bust of Bay....and of course letting Murphy walk for no good reason. I know money played a huge factor, but I think he's pretty passive in his approach. Granted he probably won't BE the GM, but I hope his style/personality doesn't dictate the course of the organization.

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat View Post

Absolutely.... in fact I'd say his trades were mostly on the winning side...some significantly. BUT I still really question his ability to court any actual talent on the team. His drafts were not nearly as aggressive as Brody's have been (we wont see the impact of this for a few more years, but he was able to get a bunch of "unsignable" 1st round talent in later rounds creating some heavily stacked drafts....very Yankee-esque). He was not active in the international market.

Plus his FA signings were horrific. I mean we know he was asked to shop at the dollar store most days, but think about all the middling overpays he did over the years as well... There was Colon maybe Marlon Byrd and uhhh that's about it in the success column that I can remember.... a bunch of throw away money on a huge list of middle relievers / 5th starters that pretty much all sucked DJ Carrasco, Miguel Batista, Chris Capuano, Young, etc...the big bust of Bay....and of course letting Murphy walk for no good reason. I know money played a huge factor, but I think he's pretty passive in his approach. Granted he probably won't BE the GM, but I hope his style/personality doesn't dictate the course of the organization.
          Well said. I hope to GOD he's not the GM. The man thinks he's the smartest man in the room and can put a team together on the cheap to please his boss. Luckily, his new boss probably won't be pleased with that approach. Thankfully.
          For the first time in my adult life, I am ashamed of my country.

Comment

Agreed with Hat as always.

As someone who knows the game and NY, to be the point man on keeping the various departments working cohesively, fine. But I really, really hope he has no major input on signings or trades. He always overspent on multiple league replacement players when he had money, rather than go for the impact player and let the more decent minor leaguers be bench players/middle relievers. I really don't want that be the team philosophy now they finally have an insanely rich and driven owner.

All that said, in the same way people credited teams under him to Minaya's drafts - a lot of Sandy's draft's ended up being high ended talent (some traded away by Brodie, granted). So he seemed quite adapt at that in the long run. Even if I want him nowhere near the minor league development plans.

My fear is the GM will end up being one of his former guys like Depodesta or Ricciardi.
            "There have been artists who have failed to capture dichotomy as beautifully as the Mets have in playing Wilmer Flores at shortstop and Juan Lagares in center field."

Comment

Originally posted by Led, the Revenge View Post
              All that said, in the same way people credited teams under him to Minaya's drafts - a lot of Sandy's draft's ended up being high ended talent (some traded away by Brodie, granted). So he seemed quite adapt at that in the long run. Even if I want him nowhere near the minor league development plans.
              Not really Led. He oversaw 9 drafts and we got about 7 decent MLers from the first 5 rounds. Rising Apple did a "top 25" of Sandy's picks back a couple of years ago and you had to get to the top 10 before you found guys we know. You got Conforto, Nimmo, Fulmer (who he traded), Dom Smith, and David Peterson in the first rounds....Alonso in the 2nd and that's about it. Your other top 3 round picks include - Cecchini, Matt Reynolds, Eddie Kunz, Plaw, Logan Verrett, Lindsay, Dunn, Mazzoni, Quinn Brodey, Blake Tiberi, Max Wotell, Matt koch, etc etc....and especially considering the team was mostly picking in the upper part of the draft while he was here. Basically outside of the 1st round - where he traditionally drafted well progressed College bats with less upside - he did very little for this org in terms of talent and maybe more importantly depth.

Now time will tell, but in 2 years Brody was able to get about 5 guys who were considered 1st round talent signed in his drafts. I'd say there's a decent chance he ends up with 3-4 legit ML starters from those drafts in the first 3 rounds, not to mention some of his aggressive international signings, vs what Sandy got. While I havent been the biggest fan of Brody's MLB moves I can't argue with his ability to get people to sign on the dotted line - both from the college/hs ranks and in FA. His negotiation skills is something that Sandy sorely needs......lord knows he wont get that from Omar hanging around.

In a way a Brody / Minaya / Sandy front office team might be the best this organization has ever put together - they all complement each others weakness really well - Omar's elite scouting eye, Brody's contract negotiation skills, and Sandy's trade skills - you erase the need to overpay for mediocre talent (pretty much ever contract Sandy handed out), falling for raw talent vs. actual ability (Ollie Perez type deals from Omar), while assessing minor/major league talent value in a better fashion (Brodie Cano deal)

Comment

Wow, I have happy about you! I think he is back because has graduated from the university, when you study at the college or university it's really hard to have free time for chatting on forum and many students buy their work at educational essay services such as https://essayassistant.org/

Comment

Working...
                X