Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the hell make Carlos Beltran a hot coaching candidate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrHat
    replied
    Yep Omar was the start....but at least he had ~10 years before he was brought back into the fold...and yeah its really clear he has more than just "passing information/advice" authority within the front office at the moment. I'm not saying he's overruling Brody - but he's clearly got a ton of pull and influence

Leave a comment:

• OrangeNblueNmyVeins
    replied
    Originally posted by MrHat View Post
    Seems like the most Mets thing ever to fire a guy and then put him in as a the most trusted advisor to the new guy you hire.....

"We don't want you to manage our team anymore...but you can advise our new manager on how to manage the team" WTF

Leave a comment:

• Sterling_Archer
    replied
    He definitely hired TC?

Leave a comment:

• RkFast
    replied
    That was the most underwhelming press conference Ive ever heard. BelTRON is going to be great with the Spanish speaking reporters, though...I learned that.

Leave a comment:

• MrHat
    replied
    Originally posted by defender View Post

Another than Cano, this team has no veterans he can play over Alonso, McNeil, Conforto, etc.
    Lowrie.... Cesspool....

Plus I'm sorry but isn't a really weird - if not flat out bad - look to have a guy who you FIRED just 2 years ago - now sitting on your bench again. I mean most of these guys played for Terry. Seems like that would do a lot to potential undermine Beltran's authority as well. Seems like the most Mets thing ever to fire a guy and then put him in as a the most trusted advisor to the new guy you hire.....

"We don't want you to manage our team anymore...but you can advise our new manager on how to manage the team" WTF

Leave a comment:

• defender
    replied
    Originally posted by Led, the Revenge View Post

The guy who desperately refused to stop playing his favourites no matter how bad they were? Or who kept running crappy veterans over more talented young players? Definitely not the guy I want having a hand in this young developing team.
    Another than Cano, this team has no veterans he can play over Alonso, McNeil, Conforto, etc.

Leave a comment:

• OrangeNblueNmyVeins
    replied
    Yeah i'm pretty dumbfounded by the love TC is getting. Do you really want a first time manager leaning on Collins for advice in terms of on field moves? The same type of on field moves that he was perpetually KILLED for? I mean the passage of time does make people forget and they just see TC as a love-able grandpa type dude. How bad could he be? I mean bench coaches are probably overrated as are most coaches, but you would think someone like Beltran would defer to TC on ALOT of things due to their previous relationship as player/manager. This scares the hell out of me.

Lets hope TC is way too comfortable in his current gig to want to go through the season long grind again.

Leave a comment:

• Led, the Revenge
    replied
    Originally posted by defender View Post
    Seems pretty clear Brodie went with the guy who was a splash but still controllable. In that light, Beltran was probably favorite moreso than dark horse all along.

Even though I wanted someone with managerial experience, I’ll enjoy the nostalgia while it lasts. It is a cool story. And the guy brings a boat load of credibility. But nostalgia and credibility don’t get you through double switches and manage your bullpen. This current core is too talented and this division is too loaded for someone to be learning on the job. I’ll feel a lot better if TC gets involved.
    The guy who desperately refused to stop playing his favourites no matter how bad they were? Or who kept running crappy veterans over more talented young players? Definitely not the guy I want having a hand in this young developing team.

Leave a comment:

• defender
    replied
    Seems pretty clear Brodie went with the guy who was a splash but still controllable. In that light, Beltran was probably favorite moreso than dark horse all along.

Even though I wanted someone with managerial experience, Iíll enjoy the nostalgia while it lasts. It is a cool story. And the guy brings a boat load of credibility. But nostalgia and credibility donít get you through double switches and manage your bullpen. This current core is too talented and this division is too loaded for someone to be learning on the job. Iíll feel a lot better if TC gets involved.

Leave a comment:

• OrangeNblueNmyVeins
    replied
    Rumors swirling Anthony Young is pitching coach, Rey Ordonez hitting coach, Willie Randolph 1st base coach, Art Howe 3rd base and Wally Backman new PR/Media relations.

Leave a comment:

• MrHat
    replied
    There's no recruiting in baseball like basketball. $$ is the sole recruiting factor here with only a soft cap.

Bullpen management will be key for Beltran and he has no experience there. If Terry ends up as his bench coach then that's a double negative as that was one of Collins huge flaws as well. Better hope the pitching coach has a clue

Leave a comment:

• 86mets
    replied
    Will also be curious to see... Being that he is being trumpeted as such a well respected and loved individuals in the game... Which players will wish to come play for him(at a di$count)now he is at the helm.. We heard same about fizdale.. And nothing came of it..

Leave a comment:

• MrHat
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeNblueNmyVeins View Post
    Omar Minaya ruins this team again
    Yep. Anyone really think Brody was in a rush to give familia 3/30? Omar definitely has a ton of pull

Leave a comment:

• Led, the Revenge
    replied
    Well, this hire surprises nobody really. Certainly wasn't expecting them to bring in the dummy to help the guy with zero coaching experience ever however. The Wilpons are addicted to recycling employees for infinity.

Leave a comment:

• 86mets
    replied
    Was really shocked to hear the glowing admiration Beltran had for TC.. He supposedly intended on making him bench coach if he got $kank job.. And reiterated that during current interview with Mets... So seems like slam dunk... Idk how I feel about it... You know he has wilpons ear on organization.. So will be total spy for management.. I Question how the clubhouse will love that.. .

after the Girardi..I felt that bogar guard would have been the better choice based on his long resume in various areas... But like mets chose lesser qualified candidate for gm over Bloom.. They chose this route instead.. I also didn't want Beltran because I love them as a player and now now will be fired in the near future. Likely..

I'll be curious to see who he brings aboard as well besides TC

Leave a comment:

Working...
X