Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the hell make Carlos Beltran a hot coaching candidate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final 4 - Bogar, Girardi, Beltran, and Espada.

Girardi is still the no brainer....its going to be a massive let down when they don't hire this guy because of a couple mil.

I'd put Bogar next. Winning pedigree with a ton of experience. Career .575 minor league winning %. He learned under Madden in TB...then went to Boston under Francona...Coached on successful Ranger teams /w Ron Washington....got front office experience in Seattle...and now again with a winner in Washington. Has NY and LA experience as a player....shouldn't be as overwhelmed as Mickey was. While he'd still largely be a "rookie" manager I don't believe he'd be your typical newbie. He was the kind of player that you always thought would make a good manager during his playing days.

After those 2 I think the list probably a lateral move from Mickey to be honest.....

Beltran. No experience. I think he'd get more slack than Mickey got and can anyone be as bad tactically? The NY media will give him some time....but does he really have any idea how to manage? Sitting next to Cashman in the owners box and occasionally talking to players or even being a successful player is far different than managing.

Espada last. I really don't get a lot of the hype. Has bounced around the majors and minors as infield instructor or bench coach. Never was a head coach. Spent 2 years in the Yankee front office, but thats way different than having real experience in NY (which I do think matters). Yeah he's coached Puerto Rico and supposedly has a lot of respect around the game, but still not sure how that ties into what the Mets are building here....this isn't Los Mets 2.0 and he's not a guy who's going to get any rope with the media or the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat View Post
      Final 4 - Bogar, Girardi, Beltran, and Espada.

Girardi is still the no brainer....its going to be a massive let down when they don't hire this guy because of a couple mil.

I'd put Bogar next. Winning pedigree with a ton of experience. Career .575 minor league winning %. He learned under Madden in TB...then went to Boston under Francona...Coached on successful Ranger teams /w Ron Washington....got front office experience in Seattle...and now again with a winner in Washington. Has NY and LA experience as a player....shouldn't be as overwhelmed as Mickey was. While he'd still largely be a "rookie" manager I don't believe he'd be your typical newbie. He was the kind of player that you always thought would make a good manager during his playing days.

After those 2 I think the list probably a lateral move from Mickey to be honest.....

Beltran. No experience. I think he'd get more slack than Mickey got and can anyone be as bad tactically? The NY media will give him some time....but does he really have any idea how to manage? Sitting next to Cashman in the owners box and occasionally talking to players or even being a successful player is far different than managing.

Espada last. I really don't get a lot of the hype. Has bounced around the majors and minors as infield instructor or bench coach. Never was a head coach. Spent 2 years in the Yankee front office, but thats way different than having real experience in NY (which I do think matters). Yeah he's coached Puerto Rico and supposedly has a lot of respect around the game, but still not sure how that ties into what the Mets are building here....this isn't Los Mets 2.0 and he's not a guy who's going to get any rope with the media or the fans.
      From the NY POST: "Girardi has been presumed to be “the clear favorite” in Philadelphia, according to NBC".....looks like its Bogar
      COME BY THE SCHOOL a year from now you"ll wish you started today

"they all think they’re geniuses who just happen to agree with each other. This creates a near total blindness to facts, data, and opinions that don’t line up with their worldview"

(Originally posted by Attorney General Barr)
      "it also does not exonerate him"
      ​​​
      Semper Fortis......De Oppresso Liber

Comment

I like Bogar’s resume. I’d be happy with that hire.
        “President Obama is a personal friend of mine,” said Rickles. “He was over to the house yesterday, but the mop broke.”

It's early!!!

Be the kind of person that when your feet hit the floor each morning liberals say "Oh crap he's up"

Comment

Even more of a reason to hire Girardi.... Keep him away from division rival

Comment

I didn't realize Bogar had so much managerial experience in the minors. Named manager of the year in three different minor leagues. I feel a lot better about him if it's not Girardi.

Comment

Originally posted by defender View Post
              I didn't realize Bogar had so much managerial experience in the minors. Named manager of the year in three different minor leagues. I feel a lot better about him if it's not Girardi.
              Which means Beltran's getting the gig.
              My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Originally posted by defender View Post
                Bogar was a top candidate for a number of seasons....he kind of chose to go to the Front office with his buddy in LA/Seattle for a while....that's the only thing that makes me a tad hesitant on him. Did he just suck at interviews back in 2016ish or didn't have the drive to do it? Outside of that he is a candidate that actually checks every box - Experience in NY. History of managerial success through multiple organizations. Plenty of time spent coaching at the ML level on multiple successful teams - Rays, Red Sox, Rangers, now Nats.

But like I said its Girardi....a big gap...then Bogar.....then 100x gap for any of the other candidates.

Did anyone else read this report on Beltran too - supposedly one of the reasons they are so high on him is they believe he'll be able to connect to Cess.... Give me a ****ing break...like this guy should be anything more than an afterthought for the 2020 mets. If he happens to come back and wants to ball out in his contract year, great throw him in LF until his leg falls off in May and then be done with it....if not really just stay the **** on your stupid ranch and collect insurance money. He should in no way be a "focus" for anyone.

I'll kinda be stunned if it isn't Beltran. When the Phils announce today or tomorrow its Girardi - Beltran becomes the perfect fit for the "headlines" of the Mets which is what they are about more than winning. Ex-Met. Groomed by the Yankees. He'll be like our Boone...only he was a superstar so obviously must be a great manager. Because really think about all the other star players who went on to become great managers like uhhhh and hrmmmm. It'll be a back page splash and a yes man for the Wilpon's / Brodie to dictate orders to because he's largely just a prop...only this time a popular prop (unlike Mickey). Tim Bogar doesn't have flash and you know the headline will be something like "Bogus!" so that's what worries the Wilpons...not the fact that the guy has won pretty much every where he's been.

The ONLY way I see Girardi coming here is if Philly hires someone else (as I don't believe he's tops on the list for the Cubs either).... then that puts the Mets backed into a corner where the media pressure is going to build even more....and the only way I think Philly doesn't hire him is if he flat out doesn't want that job (I think he's luke warm on it - push comes to shove I think Joe would MUCH rather manage the Cubs or Mets).

Comment

Andy Martino

@martinonyc

One person connected to team has said a “bombshell candidate” is in the mix if a clear favorite does not emerge from the current group. Have fun with that one. No way David Wright would ever do this so don’t go down that road btw

Mets gotta Mets
                  My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

I have to be honest, if the Mets dont get Girardi or even another manager with major league managerial experience AND Girardi winds up in Philly, my TV might start going from SNY to YES! a lot more next year.

I can live with "benevolent ineptitude", if you will. Im a Buffalo Bills fan and until recently, that was our middle name. In Ralph Wilson we had an owner who was a really nice, generous man who cared about the city of Buffalo, the team and wanted the best for the fans. But despite that, he couldnt figure out how to hire the right people or make the right moves to save his life.

But with the Mets its different.

In light of how much talent this team has...and how close they REALLY are to dominating the League next year...passing on a managerial candidate with bona fide skills and experience the team needs would be such a hard slap to the face from ownership, and such a clear sign that they have absolutely zero interest in competing on any level, that I would have to consider...CONSIDER...taking my allegiances elsewhere. It would show not just incompetence, but gross negligence, and there is only so many kicks to the nuts I can take from the Wilpons.

Comment

Appreciate the scouting report on Bogar in terms of managerial candidacy... I too had no idea he had that much experience in the minors as well as who he served under in the majors... So he definitely moves up to number 2 on my list... But I am bracing for it to being Beltran or Perez.. This screams to me just like the GM hire when they could have had a competent, smart GM in bloom.. And went for the name splash with Brody...

Bloom/girardi Bloom/Bogar combo would look pretty darned good right now..
                      ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Citifield & Mets...the place where Sluggers Careers go to DIE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLzr2Al_Os

Comment

Bogar imo is a legit coach but it just drives me nuts when once again as met fans we're preparing for the "best" of the alternatives when the best guy for the job is sitting out there AND strongly rumored to be going to our rivals.

I mean we're used to it on players but now even mangers?

Comment

Sorry, but they said some of the same **** about Callaway when he was "the hot" coaching candidate. He also served under Terry Francona he must have learned from him! He was a part of a winning coaching staff! How'd that thinking work out?
                          My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Ultimately Brody will decide that no one could do the job like he could so he'll name himself GM/Manager. He'll figure he already has a relationship with half the team from when he was their agent so he'll be able to connect with them and since he was telling Callaway what to do anyway he figures he'll just cut out the middleman.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeNblueNmyVeins View Post

Mets gotta Mets
                              Joe Torre?

Tommy Lasorda?

Willie Mays?

Felix Millan?

how about Mike Piazza. Didn’t he manage the Italian national team? I don’t think they ever won a game but that would be a bombshell
                              “President Obama is a personal friend of mine,” said Rickles. “He was over to the house yesterday, but the mop broke.”

It's early!!!

Be the kind of person that when your feet hit the floor each morning liberals say "Oh crap he's up"

Comment

Originally posted by METSSC View Post

Joe Torre?

Tommy Lasorda?

Willie Mays?

Felix Millan?

how about Mike Piazza. Didn’t he manage the Italian national team? I don’t think they ever won a game but that would be a bombshell
                                My first thought was Bobby V then my second thought was Jerry Maguire.
                                My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Working...
                                X