Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 86mets
    replied
    With the dreck they consistently put out there. You don't have to convince me he wasn't worth a shot... Should have held tryouts in the parking lot for all I care.. Only thought I had was was it possible he wasn't on the 40 and didn't want to make any moves to lose somebody? But even so, I'm sure there was someone on there that wasn't needed to be protected

Leave a comment:

• MrHat
    replied
    Blackham. Obviously I'm not a scout but I'm just blown away they didn't give him a look at some point this season. Second straight year with a whip of barely 1. 12+ k/9. He's done nothing but dominate and he's not like 20 or a veteran repeating levels. *Shrug*

Leave a comment:

• 86mets
    replied
    Yeah... Mets reinvesting off of tickets sales... Not buying it... They didn't reinvest the oodles if insurance money they it back from cess/wright...

Some names you mentioned are possible kick it the tires.. Wacha I see as another Lugo.. Durability issues..

Not opposed to seeing what giminez could fetch since Mauricio also down below.. Would be nice enuf some guy comes out of nowhere on the farm to blow peeps away from the pen.. But I guess that's too much to ask... Maybe the guy you been mentioning all year.. 4get his name..

Leave a comment:

• MrHat
    replied
    Like I said if I'm wrong on value for Lugo then you don't move him. I just look at the relief FA market the way teams are structured right now and think he could potentially have massive value. Hell there's people here talking about how to leverage guys like Syndergaard or Conforto for relief pitching ....

In terms of payroll - yes there's salary increases, but remember attendance increased and I'd suspect season ticket sales will see a significant uptick this offseason given how they finished. Ticket prices have been "down" recently, expect that to change. There's a buzz.

I don't think we'll be "wowed" by bullpen signings. I'd think you could look for salary dumps / swaps tho. I mentioned Ian Kennedy - he's making 16 mil for KC. Can you shuffle off Familia (plus cash) or Lowrie for him? Saves the Royals some bucks. Francisco Liriano reinvented himself as a reliever as well. Who's the next starter to change his fortunes by being a reliever? I say Chris Archer is a candidate. Michael Wacha? Chacin? These kind of guys who still have good stuff, but haven't been able to stay on the field enough / stuff has slid a bit from their prime

Guys like Ken Giles, Colome, are going into their final years of arb and are on non-competitive teams. Whats the cost? If the Mets are forced to keep Lowrie then honestly maybe you consider dangling Giminez out there - he had a down year, but still a top prospect and he's "blocked" by McNeil (and/or Davis), Rosario, and Cano's contract plus wouldn't provide injury protection as Lowrie would be the next man up if any of them went down. I'm not dealing him straight up for them, but build a package.

Leave a comment:

• 86mets
    replied
    Originally posted by MrHat View Post
    Wheeler and Lugo to me have no connection. I don't believe Lugo should be a starting pitcher. I believe it Wheeler walks they need to go out and get an Odorizzi or Teheran or someone of that level to replace him.

The Mets bullpen needs a closer/setup man that can go every day more than anything else. I'm not worried about the guys coming in the 6th and 7th as much because this starting rotation minimizes that need... This is a unique situation. Most teams BADLY need that transition to the 8th/9th inning guys.

That role is what made Andrew Miller a hot commodity and well paid. That's the kind of value I think other teams can see in Lugo. I think that's devalued here with the Mets given that the starters are getting you to the 7th/8th more often. You don't need a two inning guy as much *if* you got reliable 8th/9th inning guys that can go back to back nights.

As for return....I don't think you can trade Lugo straight up for an ML need. However I think you can get minor league talent that can then be flipped to get you there. To go back to the dodgers for example I think you could get one of their multiple catching prospects, plus another guy or two like a Santana or DJ Peters type lvl prospect that could be leveraged in another trade for a reliever or allow you to move a different prospect to get one. So you potentially fill the future need at catcher and continue to build the pen.

​​​​​​I'm not in a rush to trade Lugo just saying I think there's potential there to get a high return. Given how complete the rest of the roster is... It shouldn't be hard to get relievers for this club.... You've got Smith, Peterson, Giminez, Lowrie, etc as trade chips. Even having to deal with Wheeler you've got 20 mil coming off the books with Frazier and Lagares. So they should be able to spend a little.Chosing. the right guys it's always the hard part but the options will be there
    I'm not so sure about this..read somewhere the status of payroll..with all the bumps in Arb. and increases for some guys..payroll would be at where its at now if not more..It is why Im having a hard time seeing much added to team with the commitments already made UNLESS the backload deals since next offseason will have significant $$ coming off..

I doubt you get that much for Lugo..yes he is effective..but for the same reason we are hesitant to rely on him for a larger BP role its the same reason teams are gonna be skeptical (health/durabilty) TEam X knows our BP was a dumpster fire...and you are offering me your only decent guy??hmm..whats the catch?

Totally with you on Lugo's usage though..as Met...leave him in BP.. I almost would see if Gsell (if healthy) can be extended to go back to starting to give him a shot at #5. I am struggling to come up with "new names" to target for BP...other than obvious candidate(s) (W. Smith) who at this point I dont think they can afford unless some creativity is done dumping excess weight..(Lowrie/Ramos)

Leave a comment:

• MrHat
    replied
    Wheeler and Lugo to me have no connection. I don't believe Lugo should be a starting pitcher. I believe it Wheeler walks they need to go out and get an Odorizzi or Teheran or someone of that level to replace him.

The Mets bullpen needs a closer/setup man that can go every day more than anything else. I'm not worried about the guys coming in the 6th and 7th as much because this starting rotation minimizes that need... This is a unique situation. Most teams BADLY need that transition to the 8th/9th inning guys.

That role is what made Andrew Miller a hot commodity and well paid. That's the kind of value I think other teams can see in Lugo. I think that's devalued here with the Mets given that the starters are getting you to the 7th/8th more often. You don't need a two inning guy as much *if* you got reliable 8th/9th inning guys that can go back to back nights.

As for return....I don't think you can trade Lugo straight up for an ML need. However I think you can get minor league talent that can then be flipped to get you there. To go back to the dodgers for example I think you could get one of their multiple catching prospects, plus another guy or two like a Santana or DJ Peters type lvl prospect that could be leveraged in another trade for a reliever or allow you to move a different prospect to get one. So you potentially fill the future need at catcher and continue to build the pen.

​​​​​​I'm not in a rush to trade Lugo just saying I think there's potential there to get a high return. Given how complete the rest of the roster is... It shouldn't be hard to get relievers for this club.... You've got Smith, Peterson, Giminez, Lowrie, etc as trade chips. Even having to deal with Wheeler you've got 20 mil coming off the books with Frazier and Lagares. So they should be able to spend a little.Chosing. the right guys it's always the hard part but the options will be there

Leave a comment:

• Shastada
    replied
    I don't see any way you move Lugo. For what exactly? We don't need lineup help, we need a 5th starter and ... more bullpen arms. Trading Lugo just doesn't make any logical sense given the needs of this team. All the negatives you've listed for him is also why his return wouldn't be all that great even if we were to move him, so again, what is the point?

Leave a comment:

• 86mets
    replied
    Would be ballsy move to Lugo with the dumpster fire BP they have...I just dont see it... Im am very curious to see how Brodie attacks offseason with the limited resources he has at his disposal this offseason.. Especially with the supposed news that that Thor not getting moved (thereby he cant be used to bring in young arms for bp) and Diaz returning...so at this point...seems like majority of pen will be back..

Leave a comment:

• METSSC
    replied
    As is the case with any potential trade the question is for what? The pen was a disaster and youíre looking to remove its most valuable piece. Iím of the opinion Diaz will not be a disaster again next year but even if he isnít we need a few setup guys. Everyone is basically garbage except Lugo. So if you trade him that would have to be only one of a half dozen moves to fix the pen. Then if they donít sign Wheeler that throws another wrench into it

Leave a comment:

• MrHat
    started a topic Trade.... Lugo?

Trade.... Lugo?

With all this talk about trading Syndergaard - while he's at high value - or letting Wheeler walk - I say why not consider trading Lugo?

He'll be 30. He's got UCL issues. Can't pitch back to back days - so he can't be your primary closer/setup guy. For those who want to plug him into the rotation - how many innings can he go? He's been pitching in relief for the last 2 years. He's thrown 180 innings combined....they'd be lucky to keep him out there for 150 innings total and lets not make it like he was great shakes as starter in the past.

I think this is his peak value - He's entering his 1st year of arbitration, so plenty of control left...coming off of a career year where he got basically all the credit for keeping the Mets in the race from a bullpen perspective....and look at all the contenders with major bullpen issues. Watch LA's pen choke away another postseason there's a team you could get max value from....potentially overpay given the need around baseball.

While I get that they have to rebuild the pen there's a variety of ways to approach that - there's a handful of guys to look at in FA - "The Will's" (Harris/Smith), Cishek, Romo, etc - Maybe you can talk a struggling starter like a Chris Archer to try a fresh start in the pen. I'd be talking to the White Sox on Colome who's entering his last arb year - if they let Abreu walk maybe you can start talks with a package around Dom Smith. Royals got Ian Kennedy pitching well in relief, but he's sitting with a massive contract - maybe you can do a Lowrie swap with them, save them some bucks and move a player that has a high salary with no role on this team.

Working...
X