X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• METSSC
    replied
    Originally posted by Led, the Revenge View Post
    I see there is talk of Baker. Yeah he tends to do well in the regular season, but he always fails in the playoffs and now we've finally seen healthy seasons from the starting rotation I don't really want the guy known for blowing up starting pitchers.
    Dusty Baker? Is he still alive.

Leave a comment:

• Led, the Revenge
    replied
    I see there is talk of Baker. Yeah he tends to do well in the regular season, but he always fails in the playoffs and now we've finally seen healthy seasons from the starting rotation I don't really want the guy known for blowing up starting pitchers.

Leave a comment:

• MrHat
    replied
    Any bench coach on a winning team is going to be "hot" but I honestly don't see much in Espadas resume that screams out "will succeed in NY".

yeah we need someone who can do tactical things well, but in NY you also need a media savvy guy who understands how to handle those pressures. Two years in the background with the Yankees while the whole rest of his career in places that are worry free - Houston, Florida, KC, Oakland, etc. Seems like the resume of a guy who will be in for a rude awakening here.

Leave a comment:

• defender
    replied
    Originally posted by Led, the Revenge View Post
    If they really have to go that route could they not at least give Fonzie a try, as he's actually been managing?
    This is the guy I was surprised hasnít really been named yet. Hasnít he been managing in the system some years now? Is he highly thought of?

Leave a comment:

• Seaver41
    replied
    Originally posted by 86mets View Post
    Girardi=NO PUPPET...therefor..no shot he gets Gig.. gonna be another robot..passive shlub or first timer puppy who will be on leash..

Only just hearing/reading the resume' of Espada...Im intrigued enough to to hear more..
    What's Art Howe doing these days?

Leave a comment:

• 86mets
    replied
    Girardi=NO PUPPET...therefor..no shot he gets Gig.. gonna be another robot..passive shlub or first timer puppy who will be on leash..

Only just hearing/reading the resume' of Espada...Im intrigued enough to to hear more..

Leave a comment:

• Led, the Revenge
    replied
    I'd also only really be after Giradi, but with the new report that it was Jeffy who came up with the "Diaz rules", do we think they'll want the outspoken and determined guy? And would the Wilpons ever want to pay that much?

Nah, it'll either be a reclamation project of a failed manager or another guy with no experience but that will cause some of their beloved press by being a former Met. If they really have to go that route could they not at least give Fonzie a try, as he's actually been managing?

Leave a comment:

• dak11
    replied
    Originally posted by MrHat View Post
    I get it a decent manager would have probably coaxed another 2-3 wins out of this club a true TOP NOTCH one probably 6-7 wins, but I really rather not bring in another guy with ZERO experience of being a manager......there's a potential to be WORSE than Mickey and certainly plenty of opportunity to be just as bad - in different ways.

Girardi is honestly the only guy I'd want 100% without a second thought. Buck is getting a little long in the tooth. Maybe Clint Hurdle you could convince me on...but Guys like Bob Geren, Mike So, etc just give me a headache.

I find it hard to believe guys like Cone, Beltran, Sandy Alomar Jr, Jay Bell, Chris Woodward (why is it all the "top" manager candidates are former Mets but we havent won **** in 30+ years) are going to lead the team to the promised land....and before anyone mentions Boone - 1. It's the Yankees 2. Look at his post season last year and see what happens this year before declaring it was such a great move for them.
    Agreed Girardi would be the top choice but they aren't paying him, Showalter, Maddon, or any other manager who's going to cost good money.

I'm also not a fan of recent players (Beltran, Cone, etc.) stepping into the job with no coaching experience.

One guy I'd be intrigued by would be Joe Espada. Has a nice coaching resume', worked in the Yanks front office and as a ML coach, managed in winter ball and currently a bench coach with the Astros. Seems he was also a scout and believes in analytics from the little I saw. He wouldn't be too expensive either given he's never been a manager before.

Leave a comment:

• METSSC
    replied
    Originally posted by MrHat View Post
    I get it a decent manager would have probably coaxed another 2-3 wins out of this club a true TOP NOTCH one probably 6-7 wins, but I really rather not bring in another guy with ZERO experience of being a manager......there's a potential to be WORSE than Mickey and certainly plenty of opportunity to be just as bad - in different ways.

Girardi is honestly the only guy I'd want 100% without a second thought. Buck is getting a little long in the tooth. Maybe Clint Hurdle you could convince me on...but Guys like Bob Geren, Mike So, etc just give me a headache.

I find it hard to believe guys like Cone, Beltran, Sandy Alomar Jr, Jay Bell, Chris Woodward (why is it all the "top" manager candidates are former Mets but we havent won **** in 30+ years) are going to lead the team to the promised land....and before anyone mentions Boone - 1. It's the Yankees 2. Look at his post season last year and see what happens this year before declaring it was such a great move for them.
    You forgot to mention Tim Bogar who apparently is supposed to be a hot commodity.

Leave a comment:

• Jersey Shore
    replied
    Originally posted by METSSC View Post
    Well that was quick. The purge of jerseys guys begins. We just gained 10 games in the standings. Next casualties should be Todd the Turd and about 75% of the bullpen.
    the village idiot rides again.....how do you purge someone when their contract has expired?

Leave a comment:

• MrHat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sterling_Archer
    replied
    David Cone is being bandied about.

Leave a comment:

• METSSC
    replied
    Well that was quick. The purge of jerseys guys begins. We just gained 10 games in the standings. Next casualties should be Todd the Turd and about 75% of the bullpen.

Leave a comment:

• Sterling_Archer
    replied
    Originally posted by defender View Post
    Regardless of manager, can they keep Phil Regan please?
    Agreed.

living octogenarian proof that actual life experience trumps analytical numbers crunching bullshit.

Leave a comment:

• defender
    replied
    Regardless of manager, can they keep Phil Regan please?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X