Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dodgers Sign AJ Pollock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dodgers Sign AJ Pollock

    Surprised....that definitely takes them out of Harper. 4 years 50 mil...base incentives can take it up another 8 mil so the rumors claim. Good for Pollock....I'd never go there for a guy who can't stay on the field.

    It'll NEVER happen, but man now would be the time for the Wilpons to open their wallet. Harper is out there for the taking. Everyone seems to want Machado over him and Harper is left basically waiting for the loser from a Manny deal to come knocking. Harper, Nimmo, Conforto OF with this rotation...thats legit WS contender...not this collection of hopes and dreams. if they could ditch Frazier and/or Lagares and put an extra say 10 mil (have to pay/absorb some I'd guess) in their pockets would still put the payroll around 185 I believe (after Wright buy outs and such) and still doesn't count insurance money from Cess.

  • #2
    Originally posted by MrHat View Post
    Surprised....that definitely takes them out of Harper. 4 years 50 mil...base incentives can take it up another 8 mil so the rumors claim. Good for Pollock....I'd never go there for a guy who can't stay on the field.

    It'll NEVER happen, but man now would be the time for the Wilpons to open their wallet. Harper is out there for the taking. Everyone seems to want Machado over him and Harper is left basically waiting for the loser from a Manny deal to come knocking. Harper, Nimmo, Conforto OF with this rotation...thats legit WS contender...not this collection of hopes and dreams. if they could ditch Frazier and/or Lagares and put an extra say 10 mil (have to pay/absorb some I'd guess) in their pockets would still put the payroll around 185 I believe (after Wright buy outs and such) and still doesn't count insurance money from Cess.

    didn’t he want 5/$100, but pundits still expected him to get 4/$70-75??

    this is a huge letdown compared to market expectations.

    Frat Boy needs to jump in and offer Bryce a 1 year / 2nd year mutual option pillow contact of say 1/32 : 2/75, and then they’ll talk when BOATLOADS of cash commitments come off of the books in 2021.

    Geez.... are we almost in the 2020’s?!



    Plandy Balderschlong is a douchebag who was once escorted out of a petting zoo for engaging in assplay with pygmy goats.

    discuss ......

    Comment


    • #3
      Only way they can ditch Lagares is if they tie a good prospect/young player to him. Too much money for too little production.

      Frazier is a tough call because he's really the main RH power hitter in the line-up at this point. While adding Harper replaces that power it would be yet another LH bat in the line-up. Normally that wouldn't bother me but the lack of any real RH hitters would be tough.

      I agree it's highly doubtful there's money but the more 'reasonable' Harper's contract becomes the thought of adding him seems a little more realistic assuming that some of the insurance money wrong Wright and Cespedes is still hanging around. If Brodie was able to pull that off he's be a god in most Mets fans eyes.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dak11 View Post
        Only way they can ditch Lagares is if they tie a good prospect/young player to him. Too much money for too little production.

        Frazier is a tough call because he's really the main RH power hitter in the line-up at this point. While adding Harper replaces that power it would be yet another LH bat in the line-up. Normally that wouldn't bother me but the lack of any real RH hitters would be tough.

        I agree it's highly doubtful there's money but the more 'reasonable' Harper's contract becomes the thought of adding him seems a little more realistic assuming that some of the insurance money wrong Wright and Cespedes is still hanging around. If Brodie was able to pull that off he's be a god in most Mets fans eyes.
        Frazier has had reverse splits lately so the fact that he's RH is kind of meaningless. He hit .160 vs lefties last year. .207 the year before. Overall over the last 3 years he's actually got a better OPS vs righties. Granted power is better vs lefties and maybe last year was a fluke...but he's not doing much any way you cut it.

        To the RH power question/issue - Alonso..... Let's face it the Mets NEED Alonso to be good anyways - there's your RH power bat that should eat lefties alive.

        With Harper - If Frazier is out there every day something went horribly wrong. Even if he's out there against most lefties I'm concerned because that means Alonso failed (or the Mets failed Alonso and have him buried in AAA for some overprices/under performing vet), McNeil turned back into a pumpkin, and either Cano (2b) or Lowrie was a complete waste of money

        I think if you kick in 4-5 mil in salary and take absolutely nothing of value back I think you could get a bite on Lagares.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sterling_Archer View Post


          didn’t he want 5/$100, but pundits still expected him to get 4/$70-75??

          this is a huge letdown compared to market expectations.

          Frat Boy needs to jump in and offer Bryce a 1 year / 2nd year mutual option pillow contact of say 1/32 : 2/75, and then they’ll talk when BOATLOADS of cash commitments come off of the books in 2021.

          Geez.... are we almost in the 2020’s?!


          He wanted Cain money 5/80.... pundits thought that was a high request given his injury history and thought he'd sign in the 4/60 mil range. Which isn't far off from what he got (with incentives). I figured he wouldnt get more than a 3 year offer and more than likely have to settle for a pillow type deal. He also got opt outs so if he stays on the field this year he can go right back on the market and try again.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MrHat View Post

            Frazier has had reverse splits lately so the fact that he's RH is kind of meaningless. He hit .160 vs lefties last year. .207 the year before. Overall over the last 3 years he's actually got a better OPS vs righties. Granted power is better vs lefties and maybe last year was a fluke...but he's not doing much any way you cut it.

            To the RH power question/issue - Alonso..... Let's face it the Mets NEED Alonso to be good anyways - there's your RH power bat that should eat lefties alive.

            With Harper - If Frazier is out there every day something went horribly wrong. Even if he's out there against most lefties I'm concerned because that means Alonso failed (or the Mets failed Alonso and have him buried in AAA for some overprices/under performing vet), McNeil turned back into a pumpkin, and either Cano (2b) or Lowrie was a complete waste of money

            I think if you kick in 4-5 mil in salary and take absolutely nothing of value back I think you could get a bite on Lagares.
            If you're willing to eat around 50% or more of the Lagares contract I'll agree you might be able to move him somewhere. But, at some point it might be better to just pay him that ~4 mil difference even if he remains a part time defensive player.

            If you move Frazier in a deal then they better be all in on Alonso and he better produce. I'm not sure you can go into the season with the only RH bat you might be able to rely on being Ramos.

            Even if it won't happen it's at least something to speculate about.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sterling_Archer View Post


              didn’t he want 5/$100, but pundits still expected him to get 4/$70-75??

              this is a huge letdown compared to market expectations.

              Frat Boy needs to jump in and offer Bryce a 1 year / 2nd year mutual option pillow contact of say 1/32 : 2/75, and then they’ll talk when BOATLOADS of cash commitments come off of the books in 2021.

              Geez.... are we almost in the 2020’s?!


              Regarding Harper... I know it will never happen, but the Mets really need to sign that guy. He would be the big bat in the middle of the lineup that is missing right now. If he were open to a "pillow contract" that would be just fine.

              But Jeffie is using Cespedes as an excuse for not even trying for Harper.

              Which is a sham of an excuse. But, that's the Wilpons for you. They run this team like it's a small market franchise.

              Comment


              • #8

                Jeff Passan@JeffPassan
                This is correct. For luxury-tax purposes, the deal will be seen as a five-year, $60 million package -- $12 million a year for the Dodgers' sake. And for a team looking to stay under the luxury-tax threshold, that $12 million AAV is a huge boon.
                Buster Olney@Buster_ESPN
                AJ Pollock has already passed physical onhis Dodger deal. Slated to earn $55m in first 4 years, but could earn opt-out after Year 3 if he reaches set no. of PA. 5th year player option for $10m, w/ $5m buyout


                1:40 PM - Jan 24, 2019


                Never wanted the guy at the price he desired..not crying over missing out on him one bit..most I would have offered was Lowrie deal(short term) and even then wouldnt hav been doing somersaults..but would have accepted cuz he filled a need over Lowrie.. Dodgers can roll dice..because they can dump contract down the line and not breaka sweat.. Mets (WHO NEVER EAT MONEY on DEALs so not sure why that is ever presented as an option) end up throwing in High end prospect(s) to dump player..thats the key difference..
                ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

                Citifield & Mets...the place where Sluggers Careers go to DIE"

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLzr2Al_Os

                Comment


                • #9
                  One guy I did want went pretty cheaply...


                  Ken Rosenthal@Ken_Rosenthal
                  Brach deal with #Cubs is at least $4.35M for one year, sources tell The Athletic. Both player and club have options for 2020. Deal could grow to two years, $9.5M if Cubs exercise their option. Two-year guarantee would be less if team declines and Brach exercises his option.
                  337
                  2:13 PM - Jan 24, 2019
                  ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

                  Citifield & Mets...the place where Sluggers Careers go to DIE"

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLzr2Al_Os

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    We don't need Harper we have Cesspool....some fans are never happy.
                    Obama in 2008 "We won you lost...get over it":.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 86mets View Post
                      One guy I did want went pretty cheaply...


                      Ken Rosenthal@Ken_Rosenthal
                      Brach deal with #Cubs is at least $4.35M for one year, sources tell The Athletic. Both player and club have options for 2020. Deal could grow to two years, $9.5M if Cubs exercise their option. Two-year guarantee would be less if team declines and Brach exercises his option.
                      337
                      2:13 PM - Jan 24, 2019
                      I liked Brach too, but the pen is pretty loaded with righties now....while they have some options from the left side I'd still like to see them get a more established guy there....and pretty much all the top specialists are still available.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MrHat View Post

                        I liked Brach too, but the pen is pretty loaded with righties now....while they have some options from the left side I'd still like to see them get a more established guy there....and pretty much all the top specialists are still available.
                        I wonder if they would take a look at FA Xavier Cedeno ? LH reliever got paid 1 mill last season..... posted 2.43 ERA last season .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Anthony DiComo‏Verified account @AnthonyDiComo 2m2 minutes agoT

                          The Mets have made another add to their bullpen: they've signed left-hander Justin Wilson to a two-year deal, a source confirms.


                          10mil/2 years..

                          Was on my list of options..didnt expect he get THIS much at this point though.. but with Avilan..they should be good to go now..And I still wanted Bach as well....could have allowed possibilty of Lugo/Gsellman rejoining rotation over Vargas..moving on from thought of Vargas being torpedoed..
                          ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

                          Citifield & Mets...the place where Sluggers Careers go to DIE"

                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLzr2Al_Os

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Good signing! Look for some minor league contract offers for some starting pitchers and I think that'll be it

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MrHat View Post

                              I liked Brach too, but the pen is pretty loaded with righties now....while they have some options from the left side I'd still like to see them get a more established guy there....and pretty much all the top specialists are still available.
                              As I posted I would have liked to give Xavier Cedeno a look …… But I see we signed lefty Justin Wilson so I guess that's our lefty addition to the bullpen.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X