X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe McDonald
    started a topic Mets Acquire Top Prospect from Astros

Mets Acquire Top Prospect from Astros

The Mets made a very interesting move when they acquired 3B prospect J.D. Davis from the Astros for three minor leaguers. Mets also received minor league infielder Cody Bohanek in the deal. Davis was ranked as a top-15 prospect by Baseball America and was simply a victim of the numbers game in Houston. The 25-year […]

More...

• Sterling_Archer
    replied
    Originally posted by METSSC View Post
    It’s always a good idea to get someone else to take your crap contracts for prospects. Now all you need is a moron GM to consummate the deal
    And Duquette and Phillips are now analysts.

Leave a comment:

• METSSC
    replied
    Itís always a good idea to get someone else to take your crap contracts for prospects. Now all you need is a moron GM to consummate the deal

Leave a comment:

• dak11
    replied
    Originally posted by Jersey Shore View Post
    Hopefully, he grabbed Broxton as a defensive CF, so he can move Lagares and TDA in a trade for some middling prospects and free up 12 million or so for a decent right handed bat.....You can pick up Rivera or Mesarasco as backups for just about nothing. Plawecki was just NOT a good player.....he was worth nothing
    This is fantasy if you think anyone is going to take on the Lagares contract. He's due 6.5 mil and hasn't shown he can be a starter (or stay healthy) at the ML level over an extended period of time.

As for d'Arnaud. He's making 3.5 mil so he could have a market given that price but I don't see him bringing anything significant back and if they wanted to clear his salary they could have just non-tendered him.

Leave a comment:

• HOF 19
    replied
    Originally posted by Jersey Shore View Post
    Hopefully, he grabbed Broxton as a defensive CF, so he can move Lagares and TDA in a trade for some middling prospects and free up 12 million or so for a decent right handed bat.....You can pick up Rivera or Mesarasco as backups for just about nothing. Plawecki was just NOT a good player.....he was worth nothing
    That is not a terrible idea about freeing up some payroll .

Leave a comment:

• Jersey Shore
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sterling_Archer
    replied
    Originally posted by MrHat View Post

Horrible move. Especially with the injury history of both Ramos and TdA. I get the bad vibe that we'll be seeing another 20-30 games of Nido out there this year...*shudder*. I get that they were out of options of Plawecki, but you think they would have at least held onto him until the spring when 1. You could make sure that your other catching options actually were healthy (what happens if Ramos' hammy acts up in March?) 2. Other teams might have some roster surprises that lead to similar guys at areas of need being out of options. Seems like then you could have done a need for need kind of swap. They got absolute GARBAGE back for a player who maybe isn't good, but IS an ML backup at worst.

I mean I guess this all gets mitigated *IF* the Mets bring in another catcher to a minor league deal....maybe they can grab one of their ex's - Rivera or Mesoraco on a minor league deal. If Maze had had a better year at AA I'd ***** less about this move too. While I haven't been a fan of everything Brodie has done this offseason, this is the first move that I 100% don't see ANY redeeming value on
    Frat boy Brodie (even the name Brodie screams entitled frat boy) is an overrated anus.

he needs to stick to roofieing teenaged girls and the Wilpons (how else can we explain the contracts for Cespedes, Frazier, and Lord knows who else?).

Leave a comment:

• MrHat
    replied
    Originally posted by dak11 View Post

Initially I would have thought the Plawicki trade was a move to create some salary space until i realized he was making very little to begin with. Weird move considering they didn't need to move him and got back basically nothing in return.
    Horrible move. Especially with the injury history of both Ramos and TdA. I get the bad vibe that we'll be seeing another 20-30 games of Nido out there this year...*shudder*. I get that they were out of options of Plawecki, but you think they would have at least held onto him until the spring when 1. You could make sure that your other catching options actually were healthy (what happens if Ramos' hammy acts up in March?) 2. Other teams might have some roster surprises that lead to similar guys at areas of need being out of options. Seems like then you could have done a need for need kind of swap. They got absolute GARBAGE back for a player who maybe isn't good, but IS an ML backup at worst.

I mean I guess this all gets mitigated *IF* the Mets bring in another catcher to a minor league deal....maybe they can grab one of their ex's - Rivera or Mesoraco on a minor league deal. If Maze had had a better year at AA I'd ***** less about this move too. While I haven't been a fan of everything Brodie has done this offseason, this is the first move that I 100% don't see ANY redeeming value on

Leave a comment:

• dak11
    replied
    Originally posted by MrHat View Post
    I think it's a good deal but this guy isn't a top prospect. He's a decent one. The Mets have no depth in the infield OF in the minors. This guy could provide some.

Now the Plaw trade? Wtf was that? Not that I'm a Plaw fan but jeez absolutely nothing in return for him
    Agreed with this. Low risk type of move that could pay off. Only 25 so still young enough to think he can put things together.

Initially I would have thought the Plawicki trade was a move to create some salary space until i realized he was making very little to begin with. Weird move considering they didn't need to move him and got back basically nothing in return.

Leave a comment:

• MrHat
    replied

If it was me - I'd start McNeil at 3B. Frazier at 1B for the first 2 weeks of the year to get an extra year of control on Alonzo. Normally I'd be against holding a player back, but we're talking less than a month here. Davis can be used as a bat to swap in for Lagares vs. lefties (with Nimmo sliding to CF on those days) or for McNeil. Then between last year, spring, and early season performance can figure out who sits for Alonso come April 15th. He'll still likely need a RH bat to partner with at 1B initially. If McNeil/Frazier/Broxton/Lagares suck and Davis is performing then that might open a more full-time roll for him in LF/3B. OF is not ideal for him, but if his bat is legit you'll make room.

Folks seem to be making a big deal of Manea and Santana in the Davis deal...sorry I don't see it. Manea is 23 years old already and is going to start in low A ball....even if he progresses "fast" it'll be 3 years before he sniffs the MLs....and his performance in the prior years in Rk league and for the cyclones was garbage. Santana has been great in the DSL and Rk ball, no doubt...but he's also 5'8" 160 pounds and was not good defensively. I get it, this isn't football, but that is still a small profile for a major leaguer. The next Altuve? *shrug* looong way to get there and Altuve was a much better athlete...I'll take my chances for what the Mets got back in return and the absolute lack of talent they have at 3B/COF in the upper minors now.

Leave a comment:

• 86mets
    replied
    Yup..versatile power bat from RH side..read somewhere he hit well vs LHP in minors..so now you have Mcneil for LH side and davis form RH side who can handle corner IF and OF if he pans out..not bad combo....rather them take stabs at guys like Broxton/Davis than the fossils of Davis/Blanco..still looking forward to the day the baseball gods bless mets and they find thier own J. Turner and turn around somebody else's discard for a change..will keep on eye on L. Santana and not amped he was sent away..but again they have alot of MI depth to spare..and he is so far away..hope he doesnt evolve into another Altuve..rest of huys never heard of so cant comment..

Leave a comment:

• MrHat
    replied
    Originally posted by Shastada View Post
    So is this guy planned to come in and play everyday? Is he our new right handed 1B? It's pretty clear with as many 'prospects' we're tossing around that our new GM has a different opinion/value on some of these Sandy guys.
    I don't believe so - he's LEGIT depth if Frazier/McNeil sucks. He's really a 3B by trade - solid defensively, great arm (he actually pitched in relief a couple times), great bat. He destroyed the minors (.290/.360/520 lifetime minors) he just hasn't put it together in the MLs yet (had a decent 2017 debut, shitty 2018 follow up). The Stros' shuffled him around to LF/RF/1B to try to get ABs for him because well...they are kinda set at 3B.

I think he technically wouldn't be a prospect anymore with ~150 MLB abs under his belt, but he'd be the best 3B prospect the Mets have and a top 10 overall for the farm system. Probably just behind Alonso and Gimenez in terms of position players.

So it really depends on what the Mets want to do with McNeil. If they view McNeil as a "super utility" guy they are just going to bounce around....and Frazier starts at 1B for a couple of weeks to get an extra year for Alonso...then Davis could be the Mets starting 3B. If Alonso makes the team from day 1 and Frazier starts at 3B - Davis could be a L/R platoon with Alonso. If McNeil starts at 3B, Davis could be a L/R platoon with him there as well.

OR the Mets might just want to let him play every day in AAA and wait for an opportunity.....tho I kind of think that's unlikely. I believe Will Toffey is slated to start in AAA and at the plate he's very similar approach to McNeil, but with a much better glove @ 3B.

So net of the net I believe Davis is in the mix for a split time role at either 3B or 1B on the ML club with the potential to take over at either spot should McNeil/Alonso falter. If they are all playing outstanding, then it should only expedite the Mets dumping Frazier for a bag of balls.

Leave a comment:

• Sterling_Archer
    replied
    Originally posted by METSSC View Post

Jersey guy D Davis. It never ends
    Iím never surprised these days.

Leave a comment:

• METSSC
    replied
    Originally posted by Sterling_Archer View Post

Did Jersey get more guys?

Jersey guy D Davis. It never ends