Lugo and GSellMan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lugo and GSellMan

I see no reason to spend another offseason acquiring spare bullpen parts. These 2 guys have earned the main setup and closer spots for next year.
    “President Obama is a personal friend of mine,” said Rickles. “He was over to the house yesterday, but the mop broke.”

It's early!!!

Be the kind of person that when your feet hit the floor each morning liberals say "Oh crap he's up"

You need depth and bullpen pitchers are notoriously up and down year to year. They need help out there still, but you've got to be smart - spending 8+ mil on Swarzaks and the like was never a good idea. Finding the left overs who are good so we never have to see the likes of Hanhold, Peterson, Sewald, etc pitch again is what they need to do. I was targeting guys like Steve Cishek, Joe Smith, and Tony Watson last off season as perfect fits for this pen who wouldn't cost a ton. Well Smith went for a lot more than I would have paid, but the other 2 were bargains.

They've got a nice start with Lugo, Gsellman, Smith.... They still need more tho - I'd look to Brad Brach, Tony Sipp, guys like that who maybe have had a little dip in performance this year, but historically have been really good that probably won't be getting the 8-10 mil "top" middle relievers get. You could also take a stab at guys with great arms who haven't sustained success *if* they come cheap - Lance Diekman comes to mind. I don't think they explicitly need to go out and grab a closer, but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Familia back either.

They can't stand pat on the pen, but spending 8-10 mil per on middle relievers is rarely a move worth doing and giving big time money to a closer like Kimbrel or Herrera isn't a smart move either. It would be nice to have someone with some experience there - a Bud Norris or David Robertson *if* the price is right, but I wouldn't make either of them the closer day 1. Unfortunately all the bullpen arms that Sandy stockpiled in trade dumps outside of Smith, really haven't shown anything at the ML level to get excited about. Rhame, Bautistia, Wahl, Hanhold, etc....

They are stuck with Swarzak....they are stuck with Vargas......Blevins is a FA and I wouldn't spend big to keep him...still need to grab at least 2 arms - one lefty at least - for that pen going forward.

Comment

Lugo is being wasted in the bullpen, but if he's going to be stuck out there at least he's the closer. Gman probably falls into the 8th inning role by default since all the garbage bullpen arms we've picked up in trades the last two years haven't shown much.
      I guess if liberals didn't have double standards, they wouldn't have any standards at all

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat View Post
        You need depth and bullpen pitchers are notoriously up and down year to year. They need help out there still, but you've got to be smart - spending 8+ mil on Swarzaks and the like was never a good idea. Finding the left overs who are good so we never have to see the likes of Hanhold, Peterson, Sewald, etc pitch again is what they need to do. I was targeting guys like Steve Cishek, Joe Smith, and Tony Watson last off season as perfect fits for this pen who wouldn't cost a ton. Well Smith went for a lot more than I would have paid, but the other 2 were bargains.

They've got a nice start with Lugo, Gsellman, Smith.... They still need more tho - I'd look to Brad Brach, Tony Sipp, guys like that who maybe have had a little dip in performance this year, but historically have been really good that probably won't be getting the 8-10 mil "top" middle relievers get. You could also take a stab at guys with great arms who haven't sustained success *if* they come cheap - Lance Diekman comes to mind. I don't think they explicitly need to go out and grab a closer, but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Familia back either.

They can't stand pat on the pen, but spending 8-10 mil per on middle relievers is rarely a move worth doing and giving big time money to a closer like Kimbrel or Herrera isn't a smart move either. It would be nice to have someone with some experience there - a Bud Norris or David Robertson *if* the price is right, but I wouldn't make either of them the closer day 1. Unfortunately all the bullpen arms that Sandy stockpiled in trade dumps outside of Smith, really haven't shown anything at the ML level to get excited about. Rhame, Bautistia, Wahl, Hanhold, etc....

They are stuck with Swarzak....they are stuck with Vargas......Blevins is a FA and I wouldn't spend big to keep him...still need to grab at least 2 arms - one lefty at least - for that pen going forward.
        I agree 100%. You summed it up perfectly.

Comment

Working...
        X