deGrom's agent: Sign him or trade him

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seaver41 View Post
    Obviously a pressure tactic by the agent, but the Mets are under no obligation to do anything right now. I guess his agent would LOVE to negotiate a long term deal while de Grom is pitching like this. But the Mets would be correct to resist doing anything until they straighten out their front office and develop some sort of plan.
    Agree 100%. No rush to offer deGrom a contract at this time.

Comment

Let's not forget this

http://www.espn.co.uk/mlb/story/_/id...ntract-protest

There's already history of the Mets not valuing deGrom, even symbolically. Play hardball with him and I seriously doubt he comes to the table in good faith once he does hit free agency, and look to move on.

How many more seasons do we need to see of the Mets taking a wishy washy non committal approach to the direction they want to take the team? When will they, and fans, realise that they can't keep trying to stay in the middle of every decision and hope to achieve anything if they just keep kicking the can down the road? It's not exactly been a winning formula so far has it now?
      "There have been artists who have failed to capture dichotomy as beautifully as the Mets have in playing Wilmer Flores at shortstop and Juan Lagares in center field."

Comment

He has as much right to say this as Mets have right to not do anything immediately. They conveniently have the built in excuse to table this discussion as they shop for new GM which I believe will be a sham of a search anyway with Jeffie's lap dog at his side.. But it will but then time to discuss this in offseason anyway.
        ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Citifield & Mets...the place where Sluggers Careers go to DIE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLzr2Al_Os

Comment

Originally posted by metsheart View Post

And if they start to look like they have real life at some point in the 2019 season, is there some reason that Mets couldn't try to sign deGrom to a contract extension at that time? What is the rush to do that right now, with two complete seasons of team control still left? What is the rush to do it now, before they see how he pitches next season & how his health is then, too?

Mets felt they had to sign David Wright to a long-term contract...and that has ended spectacularly badly (i.e. financially handcuffed the team to some extent). Personally, I don't want to see them make an unnecessarily premature signing now that could potentially blow up & cost them big, for years to come.
          Arent Are the one saying how much more value Flores has with time left in his contract vs waiting? His value is higher now than it would be next year because his performance is higher than it has ever been and he has multiple years of control left and he's a year younger.

In terms of a contract offer....I don't want a 36 year old deGrom making 20+ mil. Each year you wait would be a year I'd take off the contract meaning it's less likely he signs. The more security you offer a player now the less money he takes. The only way I'd give him 5 years is right now. Next year would be 4 years, year after would be 3. I'd rather pay deGrom for his prime than for his past. Maybe you don't care about how much he would earn then but I do.

Example the rumor is deGrom would take a 5 year 80-90 mil deal right now. Next year as he gets closer to FA we'd be talking 5 years 100+ mil. If he continues to FA there would be deals could be even higher on the open market.

The Wright contract is actually a prefect example. If they had signed him two years earlier his contract would be done now and he wouldn't have cost 135 mil. If they had waited....well look at the insane deal Reyes got.

You can't predict injuries, but you can mitigate the potential impact by either reducing long term cost or by moving someone a year early than a year late. Just gotta make a commitment on what the plan is

Comment

FWIW, I prefer to build around deGrom, Thor, Matz and Wheeler, and then try to get some hitting and a couple relievers through free agency or trades using guys that most fans think can be jettisoned. I know it's not realistic, because the Mets are snakebitten with constant injuries, and obviously they have no real prospects to work with.
            The 2018 Mets - making the Titanic look buoyant.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeNblueNmyVeins View Post

Talking to you is like talking to a brick wall. Do you understand value? deGrom's trade value will NEVER be higher than it is right now. So if the plan is to be wishy washy and just see down line if signing a 31 or 32 year old to a mega deal makes sense(it doesn't) and then they decide it's not(shocker) they wasted this opportunity to jump start a rebuild be getting mega prospects while deGrom has peak value. The older he gets and the closer to free agency he gets he depreciates. Understand this concept McFly????
              Pot meets kettle.... when is your scrawny little faggot ass coming out with your little toy bat tough guy?
              COME BY THE SCHOOL a year from now you"ll wish you started today

"they all think they’re geniuses who just happen to agree with each other. This creates a near total blindness to facts, data, and opinions that don’t line up with their worldview"

Originally posted by mule
              "LOL there's nothing that makes you look more like an ass than when you try to front for the whole gang"

DEFENDING LIBERALISM ONE POST AT A TIME

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Shore View Post
                Pot meets kettle.... when is your scrawny little faggot ass coming out with your little toy bat tough guy?

Faggot? Isn't that like the N word to you libs.
                “President Obama is a personal friend of mine,” said Rickles. “He was over to the house yesterday, but the mop broke.”

It's early!!!

Be the kind of person that when your feet hit the floor each morning liberals say "Oh crap he's up"

Comment

Originally posted by METSSC View Post

Faggot? Isn't that like the N word to you libs.
                  Not to me. I can’t speak for anyone else, but since the shoe fits, it can be worn.
                  COME BY THE SCHOOL a year from now you"ll wish you started today

"they all think they’re geniuses who just happen to agree with each other. This creates a near total blindness to facts, data, and opinions that don’t line up with their worldview"

Originally posted by mule
                  "LOL there's nothing that makes you look more like an ass than when you try to front for the whole gang"

DEFENDING LIBERALISM ONE POST AT A TIME

Comment

Love the idea of building around Thor and Jake, but the damn team cannot hit. Something has to probably give.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Almost Famous

I sleep underneath a picture that I keep of you next to me
                    I realize we're magnetized - WILCO

Comment

I fully agree with the agent. Now is the time to **** or get off the pot. Sounds like the Mets haven't even TRIED to extend him which is criminal. These guys just sit and watch our window go up in smoke and think garbage like AGone and Bruce are the answer.
                      I guess if liberals didn't have double standards, they wouldn't have any standards at all

Comment

Just because the agent is saying sign him or trade him the Mets do not have to do anything to accommodate him either way.

This situation is pretty simple to me. If he's willing to do a team friendly deal for around $20 mil per season (5-6 years $100-120 mil) then I'd sign him, keep him, and see how the next couple seasons progress. If he's looking for more in the 5-6 year at $25 or more per year then you either go year to year or deal him. I wouldn't give him a full no trade clause as even if you sign him you need to have the option of moving him down the road if this team continues to be incompetent.

Comment

A year or two ago we were all thinking that this is the situation the Mets would in with Harvey and Borass. Boy did that change for the worse...
                          The 2018 Mets - making the Titanic look buoyant.

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat View Post

Arent Are the one saying how much more value Flores has with time left in his contract vs waiting? His value is higher now than it would be next year because his performance is higher than it has ever been and he has multiple years of control left and he's a year younger.

In terms of a contract offer....I don't want a 36 year old deGrom making 20+ mil. Each year you wait would be a year I'd take off the contract meaning it's less likely he signs. The more security you offer a player now the less money he takes. The only way I'd give him 5 years is right now. Next year would be 4 years, year after would be 3. I'd rather pay deGrom for his prime than for his past. Maybe you don't care about how much he would earn then but I do.

Example the rumor is deGrom would take a 5 year 80-90 mil deal right now. Next year as he gets closer to FA we'd be talking 5 years 100+ mil. If he continues to FA there would be deals could be even higher on the open market.

The Wright contract is actually a prefect example. If they had signed him two years earlier his contract would be done now and he wouldn't have cost 135 mil. If they had waited....well look at the insane deal Reyes got.

You can't predict injuries, but you can mitigate the potential impact by either reducing long term cost or by moving someone a year early than a year late. Just gotta make a commitment on what the plan is
                            Difference between trading deGrom right now & trading Flores right now deGrom is that Flores has just one year of team control left, while deGrom still has two complete seasons left. So if Mets decide to trade deGrom at the deadline next season, he should bring back a very good haul with one full year of team control still left. But if Mets wait 'til next season's deadline to trade Flores, they probably wouldn't be able to get all that great a return for him, as just a two-month rental player.

Reyes is not a good example -- since there were special circumstances. While Reyes only had two serious suitors as a free agent (Mets & Marlins), the Marlins were opening a new ballpark & really wanted to make a splash -- they were not going to be outbid. And since Marlins would not give Reyes a no-trade clause & made the first two years the cheapest by far, it was obvious that they had absolutely no intention of keeping Reyes for the duration of that pricy contract. Mets reportedly were only willing to go 5 years / $90 on Reyes -- which probably would have been enough, if Marlins weren't opening a new ballpark & made up their minds not be outbid for Reyes. No other teams made a bid for Reyes as a free agent.

The Wright contract extension (signed in November 2012) turned out to be a disaster. But in the team's defense -- from the Mets' perspective, after both the 2011 & 2012 seasons (existing contract through 2012 w/ 2013 club option), when Wright was playing at an All Star level, there was no reason to believe that Wright would suffer the kinds of physical issues which would suddenly seriously curtail his ability to play from 2013 on, to the extent that it has. In that regard, it seems rather hasty for the Mets to consider handing out a long-term contract right this second to a 30 year-old pitcher who has already had Tommy John surgery.

As for "the rumor is deGrom would take a 5 year 80-90 mil deal right now" -- that's a nice rumor...but it seems doubtful that his agent would settle for that, when deGrom is having a Cy Young-type of year now.

I think it's entirely possible for the Mets to be competitive in the 2020 season, if they make some smart moves between now & then. So Mets have the opportunity to see deGrom pitch for at least some portion of next season...while they continue to listen to trade offers for deGrom...before making their final decision on whether to keep him (via contract extension) or trade him.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Must Go View Post
                              A year or two ago we were all thinking that this is the situation the Mets would in with Harvey and Borass. Boy did that change for the worse...
                              Harvey is a good example of how signing a player to a long-term contract far in advance of when team control would expire, would have been very bad for the Mets...for years to come. Harvey pitched well in the playoffs in 2015 after coming back from Tommy John surgery, so trading him at that time, when the team was expected to be competitive for the next several seasons, would not have made any sense. There was no way to foresee that Harvey would have Thoracic Outlet Syndrome the following year & need more surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by dak11 View Post
                                Just because the agent is saying sign him or trade him the Mets do not have to do anything to accommodate him either way.

This situation is pretty simple to me. If he's willing to do a team friendly deal for around $20 mil per season (5-6 years $100-120 mil) then I'd sign him, keep him, and see how the next couple seasons progress. If he's looking for more in the 5-6 year at $25 or more per year then you either go year to year or deal him. I wouldn't give him a full no trade clause as even if you sign him you need to have the option of moving him down the road if this team continues to be incompetent.
                                Seems quite doubtful to me that deGrom signs a 5 or 6 year contract now without a full no-trade clause.

Comment

Working...
                                X