Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cue the George Jefferson song.."Moving on up..."

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/mets-fa...orst/289455520

Baseball America's new farm system rankings have the Mets as the No. 19 overall system in baseball, up from No. 27 before the season.

Since the season began, the Mets have gotten a breakout season from 1B Peter Alonso (Triple-A Las Vegas), a rebound season from RHP Justin Dunn (Double-A Binghamton), rapid advancement by 19-year-old SS Andres Gimenez (Double-A), a return to injury by LHP Anthony Kay, and a strong campaign from LHP David Peterson, among other impressive performances in the minors.

In the lower levels of the minors, the team is getting strong production from 18-year-old SS/3B Mark Vientos and 17-year-old INF Ronny Mauricio.

The Mets have also bolstered their system by selecting 18-year-old OF Jarred Kelenic No. 6 in June's Draft, and trading for RHP Franklyn Kilome (Double-A), RHP Bobby Wahl (who recently made his Mets debut), and 3B Will Toffey.

According to MLB Pipeline, the Mets now have four Top 100 prospects (Gimenez, Alonso, Kelenic, and Dunn). Only the Braves, Padres, Rays, and White Sox have more Top 100 prospects.
    Imagine if they move degrom for some cream of the crop blue chippers.. combined with another top 7-10 draft pick this year(currently 7th -2 game from #5) could vault farm into top 10 potentially..It can change over night practically..
    ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Citifield & Mets...the place where Sluggers Careers go to DIE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLzr2Al_Os

Comment

Well the big thing with farm rankings is generally they go off of top. The Mets have a mostly bottom heavy farm system. They "graduated" any of the talent in AAA/AA and they didn't have guys to move up into those slots. So in 2 years if all the 17--20 year old guys in rookie - low A shift up and perform well they'll easily vault back into a top half farm system. The bigger question isn't if they can get there, but can they avoid what happened in the 2013-2015 drafts/international FA signings where they basically generated Conforto and uhhh not much else. Those are the guys who SHOULD have been crowding up AA/AAA right now.

The 2016 draft looks solid right now (Dunn/Kay/Alonso)...the 2017 might have two good guys at the top (Peterson/Vientos), but pretty weak after that....and we'll see what 2018 really brought - most are off to good starts, but I hate drawing much from 21 year olds playing in Brooklyn...it'll be much more interesting what they do in Columbia/St Lucie where they really belong.
      Last edited by MrHat; 08-09-2018, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Yip.. I got it..hopefully it truly is on rise..Vientos AND Alonso cointinue to murder the ball Power wise..
        ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Comment

In Vegas

I don't know if its worth talking about either of these guys at this point, but...

Luis Guillorme return to vegas action - got a hit. Still hitting over .300 there, but I just can't see him hitting like that in the majors
          Dom Smith had 3 hits, but it's a lost season, maybe lost career for him at this point

Alonso is hitting .370 with 5 HRs over his last 10 - his overall numbers looking much better in AAA now - .250/.357/.550 for a .900+ OPS. Most importantly to me anyways are the K's are starting to slow...he was around 1 per 3 ABs which is just not good...he had 9 over his last 40 ABs getting him into that 1:4 / 1:5 range along with 7 walks which is closer to his 1:1.2 ratio he was sporting in AA. When the Vegas season is over I'd bring him up, but not before then.

Flexen had rough outing after 5 straight 2 ER or less outings. 5 innings 4 ER.
          Bautista has returned to AAA and looked solid posting a sub 2 era and 17 K's in 13 innings. I still say he's Robles 2.0

AA

Gimenez just continues to do his thing. He's hitting .300 with a .390 OB% and a .412 slugging. Toss in a dozen steals and really good D. What a great season for this kid. I hope they don't rush him. He should really repeat AA next year, maybe get a bump to AAA, and at most a cup of Sept coffee. 2020 should be the target. Let him fill out a bit more, show some more pop at advanced levels before putting him in the MLs

Toffey has been solid. He's slowed down a bit after a hot start in terms of power - he only has 2 XBH in his last 10 games, but he's hitting .310 with an OB% over .400 in that stretch. His D at 3B has not been as good as advertised. Throws don't have much zip on them and his range is fairly mediocre.

Franky Kilome had his best outing last time going 6 2/3rds, 2 ER, and 10 K's. He's been great for the team sub 3 era, 20 K's in 18 innings, 1.15 WHIP. His whole deal is control / repeatablility in his motion. When they are going he's got #2/3 starter stuff. When they aren't he's hittable. Still I think a very good pickup for Cabrera

Dunn after getting shelled the last time I posted bounced back with 2 good outings - 12.2, 3 ER, 17! K's, 5 BB. Great season for him. He's still probably a full year + away but this was very promising.

After praising Ryan Ryder he's sucked. In his last 6 innings he's given up 8 ERs, raising his era from 2.25 to 5. I wonder if he's starting to reach a bit of a dead arm period as his velocity and control have been down. Most he ever has pitched is 54 innings, he's at 46 now and looking at last year pretty much the same thing happened...he had an era under 2 through his first ~40 innings then an ERA over 10 in his last ~15.

Nogosek starting to get his feet...given up 2 ER in his last 6 innings after giving up 10 in his first 9 AA innings.

St Luice

Ali Sanchez continues to hit .290+ but continues to have no OB% and no power to speak of. Again I still think he's a Nido clone.

David Peterson finally had back to back good outings in high A. He followed up his 6 inning 2 ER effort with 6 innings of 2 hit ball to go with 9 K's
          Anthony Kay bounced back from a string of 3 mediocre outings (12 ER in 14 innings) with 6 innings of 1 run ball

Jay Bruce had a walk in an 0-2 effort starting his rehab in RF
          Wright played 3B and was 0-1 with a walk.

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat View Post
            In Vegas

I don't know if its worth talking about either of these guys at this point, but...

Luis Guillorme return to vegas action - got a hit. Still hitting over .300 there, but I just can't see him hitting like that in the majors
            Dom Smith had 3 hits, but it's a lost season, maybe lost career for him at this point

Alonso is hitting .370 with 5 HRs over his last 10 - his overall numbers looking much better in AAA now - .250/.357/.550 for a .900+ OPS. Most importantly to me anyways are the K's are starting to slow...he was around 1 per 3 ABs which is just not good...he had 9 over his last 40 ABs getting him into that 1:4 / 1:5 range along with 7 walks which is closer to his 1:1.2 ratio he was sporting in AA. When the Vegas season is over I'd bring him up, but not before then.

Flexen had rough outing after 5 straight 2 ER or less outings. 5 innings 4 ER.
            Bautista has returned to AAA and looked solid posting a sub 2 era and 17 K's in 13 innings. I still say he's Robles 2.0

AA

Gimenez just continues to do his thing. He's hitting .300 with a .390 OB% and a .412 slugging. Toss in a dozen steals and really good D. What a great season for this kid. I hope they don't rush him. He should really repeat AA next year, maybe get a bump to AAA, and at most a cup of Sept coffee. 2020 should be the target. Let him fill out a bit more, show some more pop at advanced levels before putting him in the MLs

Toffey has been solid. He's slowed down a bit after a hot start in terms of power - he only has 2 XBH in his last 10 games, but he's hitting .310 with an OB% over .400 in that stretch. His D at 3B has not been as good as advertised. Throws don't have much zip on them and his range is fairly mediocre.

Franky Kilome had his best outing last time going 6 2/3rds, 2 ER, and 10 K's. He's been great for the team sub 3 era, 20 K's in 18 innings, 1.15 WHIP. His whole deal is control / repeatablility in his motion. When they are going he's got #2/3 starter stuff. When they aren't he's hittable. Still I think a very good pickup for Cabrera

Dunn after getting shelled the last time I posted bounced back with 2 good outings - 12.2, 3 ER, 17! K's, 5 BB. Great season for him. He's still probably a full year + away but this was very promising.

After praising Ryan Ryder he's sucked. In his last 6 innings he's given up 8 ERs, raising his era from 2.25 to 5. I wonder if he's starting to reach a bit of a dead arm period as his velocity and control have been down. Most he ever has pitched is 54 innings, he's at 46 now and looking at last year pretty much the same thing happened...he had an era under 2 through his first ~40 innings then an ERA over 10 in his last ~15.

Nogosek starting to get his feet...given up 2 ER in his last 6 innings after giving up 10 in his first 9 AA innings.

St Luice

Ali Sanchez continues to hit .290+ but continues to have no OB% and no power to speak of. Again I still think he's a Nido clone.

David Peterson finally had back to back good outings in high A. He followed up his 6 inning 2 ER effort with 6 innings of 2 hit ball to go with 9 K's
            Anthony Kay bounced back from a string of 3 mediocre outings (12 ER in 14 innings) with 6 innings of 1 run ball

Jay Bruce had a walk in an 0-2 effort starting his rehab in RF
            Wright played 3B and was 0-1 with a walk.

Could this be the "shoulder" that causing this? We see issues Donaldson (perenial GG) for Blue Jays..he went to barely being able to get ball over to 3b which he has been on DL for ages now..

Was trying to think of a player to equate to him hitting wise..People subscribe to the whole "power has to come form 1b/3b/Rf/LF" mentality..I dont..was recalling another 3b/1b mets had Dave Magadan.. not ultra great defensively..but solid (better at 1b) and little power but high average/bbs.. if he can do that as a pro..I be fine with that..still a long way of course..but point being..I personally not overly concerned that he is not a prototypical power hitter..if he can hit ofr high average and get on base..Mets need hitter like that as well..even if its part time duty..ala how Flores was supposed to be used this year..so Im hoping he progresses...at leat till the "baby" crop makes its arrival..

Comment

Originally posted by 86mets View Post

Could this be the "shoulder" that causing this? We see issues Donaldson (perenial GG) for Blue Jays..he went to barely being able to get ball over to 3b which he has been on DL for ages now..

Was trying to think of a player to equate to him hitting wise..People subscribe to the whole "power has to come form 1b/3b/Rf/LF" mentality..I dont..was recalling another 3b/1b mets had Dave Magadan.. not ultra great defensively..but solid (better at 1b) and little power but high average/bbs.. if he can do that as a pro..I be fine with that..still a long way of course..but point being..I personally not overly concerned that he is not a prototypical power hitter..if he can hit ofr high average and get on base..Mets need hitter like that as well..even if its part time duty..ala how Flores was supposed to be used this year..so Im hoping he progresses...at leat till the "baby" crop makes its arrival..
              Potentially....never really saw him before so I can't say if its an injury thing or just him. Mags is a tough comparison but probably not far off. From what I've seen I think he's a (hopefully) better version of Jeff Keppinger.....

Comment

Working...
              X