Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The REAL dirty side of steroid abuse in sports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrankStylV7 View Post
    ass sphincter says ............ "Gaylord Perry and his Hall of Fame plaque...."

Besides, how is it NOT an "even playing field" when we have NO IDEA how many guys have participated.
    Because a lot of guys think they are good enough as they are without risking dying at 45.
    Originally posted by FrankStylV7
    Come on, in the 80's 30 HRS was a HUGE accomplishment. Heck, Straw hit 39 in 1988 and second place in the NL was 30.

Now 30 won't even get you in the top 20 in your league. You telling me that only a handful of guys have bought into better living through chemistry?
    This whole era is tainted by an ownership group and players association who wanted more offense in the game, at almost any cost. And it's definitely tainted by the knuckleheads who wanted to inject their edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie Cee View Post
      I can count the number of great "non-white" pitchers in baseball since Ruth retired on one hand. What Ruth didn't hit against were hundreds of mediocre middle relievers on a daily basis. And that tiny RF you speak of lasted into the 70's.

Maris was also chasing a hallowed record under constant scrutiny. Ruth was just having a ball.

Cheater.

Bigoted cheater.
      I paulie cee.

Comment

You tell ME that you can accurately compare the performances of Ty Cobb to Willie Mays to Ken Griffey, Jr.
        I didn't tell you that. Fine Frank. Have it your way. No one on the planet is interested in comparing eras. Then explain to me the enormous appeal and prestige attached to breaking baseball records (far more than any other sport) prior to 1998.

Comment

Paulie made my argument for me.

Different eras + different situations = an inability to accurately compare one player to another.

Maybe the non-White pitchers weren't a huge factor, but non-White SS's and CF's certainly were.

KO - who CARES if these muscleheads die at 45? We pay to watch a show, NOT to give a crap about these guys' personal lives.
          Your Daily Rayne Summers Moment...
          http://www.leasticoulddo.com/

Mitt Romney SUCKS.

Comment

KO - who CARES if these muscleheads die at 45? We pay to watch a show, NOT to give a crap about these guys' personal lives.
            I didn't say I cared. I was explaining why the playing field of this era wasn't level. Look what we know about the 2000 World Series, ffs.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilAllen View Post
              I didn't tell you that. Fine Frank. Have it your way. No one on the planet is interested in comparing eras. Then explain to me the enormous appeal and prestige attached to breaking baseball records (far more than any other sport) prior to 1998.
              You can compare numbers all you want. I just don't understand how anyone can vouch for the accuracy of these comparisons.

I remember the buildup waiting for Rose to break Ty Cobb's record.

Except Rose did it in about 8000 more AB's. On turf. With a solid baseball.

I just don't understand why it's a life and death matter that statisticians should be able to compare any player with any other player as you would apples to apples.

You just can't.

If these guys want to kill themselves for my amusement and their personal wealth then let them load up.

Mitt Romney SUCKS.

Comment

But the children!! The children!!!

If you suck so bad at parenting that your kids kill themselves with HGH then nuts to you. My tax dollars don't need to be shoveled into a bonfire to protect your kids from doing **** that they'd be doing with or without media coverage of pro sports.
                It's not that simple regarding kids, and for a smart guy that's an awfully stupid f*cking statement.

My son is 11. It costs me almost two grand each year, between his normal Little League, Federation ball, Fall Ball, and summer baseball camp, for this boy to play. This isn't just some kid standing in the outfield to pass time because his parents want him there, waiting for a free hot dog from his coach. He absolutely loves it, is pretty damned f*cking good at it, and wants to be a major league baseball player when he grows up.

Now, let's say we go down the road you propose and MLB becomes the WWE. What should I tell him? His dream in life is worth a pile of sh*t unless he's willing to use drugs, and that he'd better start soon because high school is right around the corner and scouts are going to start paying some visits?

You know why we should care, and why we should worry about what our kids think? Because cheating, in any shape or form, is f*cked up. It isn't about what some f*cking moron who happens to be able to hit a curveball is injecting up his asshole, or whether or not his balls will shrink or he'll be worm food before the age of 50. It isn't about role models. It's about right and wrong. It's about people who have excelled legitimately being sh*t on by people who didn't, and that concept transcends baseball and can extend into pretty much any imaginable area of life.

Suppose my son were as passionate about firefighting as he is about baseball. Should I tell him to pay some slimy prick for the answers to the written entrance exam, and/or use steroids to gain an edge for the physical test?

Comment

It's not that simple regarding kids, and for a smart guy that's an awfully stupid f*cking statement.
                  Frank, I know half the time you say stuff just to get people riled up, but whether or not this is one of those times there was no reason for me to come across like a dick. I apologize.

Comment

Originally posted by lgm6986 View Post
                    Frank, I know half the time you say stuff just to get people riled up, but whether or not this is one of those times there was no reason for me to come across like a dick. I apologize.
                    NP.

I was actually hoping to get more of a polarizing rise out of the board as a whole.

This was actually rather disappointing.....

Mitt Romney SUCKS.

Comment

Working...
                    X