Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrankStylV7 View Post

You're kidding, right?

Geezaloo, I want some o' YOUR crystal ball....
    your are misreading the intent of my post, or perhaps you are misremembering it...

I don't think that Martinez will be putting up Manny in his prime numbers, but will he be able to hit 20 homeruns and drive in 80 runs in 2010? I think by all accounts that would be a reasonable rookie year from him, but of course he still needs to show a lot this year and next.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory Gewirtz View Post
      Nobody is saying that 2009 Manny would be the same thing as the Manny the Mets could have possibly had cheaply in the offseason he was put on waivers, or that the Mets could have had expensively at the July deadline when the Mets were allegedly interested in him. This is a different, separate discussion: Would Manny be a worthwhile target to bring in for the 2009 season. And I think the answer is "yes."

Even a declining Manny could still be a huge offensive force for the next few years. Of course, the obvious caveat applies that there's a limit to the salary/years the Mets should offer him. If the Pirates offer Manny five years, they can have him.

I don't think "priority" of where Manny's contract negotiations and salary would fit in relation to Pedro's or Oliver Perez's is a substantial factor one way or the other - there's time enough and money enough to get them all under contract if that looks like the right move next offseason.

Finally, I don't think there's any reason why Mets fans can't enjoy the 2008 season while at the same time thinking about the future. There's time in the day to do both.
      Areed..NAILED ALL POINTS..

If Manny puts up + .280 35/100.. this last year in Boston..then he should be considered as a "potential" target for '09..a good season by Pedro and short term deal may even make it enticing for Manny to join Pedor for one last chance at a ring in his "hometown"....no way you break the bank..but if reasonable..his POST SEASON #'s alone make him an awesone addition...

As far as waiting till end of THIS season...nothing wrong with keeping an eye "ahead" as it helps us to focus on keying in on certain players THIS YEAR that are on the roster as we look fro them to make or break for future..
      ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Citifield & Mets...the place where Sluggers Careers go to DIE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLzr2Al_Os

Comment

Originally posted by 86mets View Post
        Areed..NAILED ALL POINTS..

If Manny puts up + .280 35/100.. this last year in Boston..then he should be considered as a "potential" target for '09..a good season by Pedro and short term deal may even make it enticing for Manny to join Pedor for one last chance at a ring in his "hometown"....no way you break the bank..but if reasonable..his POST SEASON #'s alone make him an awesone addition...

As far as waiting till end of THIS season...nothing wrong with keeping an eye "ahead" as it helps us to focus on keying in on certain players THIS YEAR that are on the roster as we look fro them to make or break for future..
        Problem is that if Manny goes .280 35/100 that could be enough for Boston to keep him.

It's a catch 22. If he's good Boston would most likely keep him. If he's bad there's not much reason to sign him.

Comment

Can Ryan Church play 1b?

Comment

Originally posted by dak11 View Post
            Problem is that if Manny goes .280 35/100 that could be enough for Boston to keep him.

It's a catch 22. If he's good Boston would most likely keep him. If he's bad there's not much reason to sign him.
            EXcept...it won't be entirely Up to BOSTON...He has seemingly asked to be traded OUT of Boston EVERY Offseason...and they have SHOPPED him every offseason.....as a FA...he CAN CONTROL wherever his "pea" brain decides to take him.(and who's willing to pay him of course)
            ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Comment

EXcept...it won't be entirely Up to BOSTON...He has seemingly asked to be traded OUT of Boston EVERY Offseason...and they have SHOPPED him every offseason.....as a FA...he CAN CONTROL wherever his "pea" brain decides to take him.(and who's willing to pay him of course)
              Manny has 2 years with of options on his current contract and the options over the next 2 seasons are TEAM options and even if he decides to ask for another trade Boston does not have to comply.

So, IMO you're absolutely wrong about it not being entirely up to Boston. They make the decisions in both picking up the options and potentially trading him. Manny can't do either without Boston giving the OK.

Comment

Originally posted by dak11 View Post
                The options over the next 2 seasons are TEAM options and even if he decides to ask for another trade Boston does not have to comply.

So, IMO you're absolutely wrong about it not being entirely up to Boston. They make the decisions in both picking up the options and potentially trading him. Manny can't do either without Boston giving the OK.
                Stand corrected..thought the Options were done on his contract...

Still believe at those #'s you just mentioned..35/100..the sox would want to KEEP HIM at the Option price of 20 mil..those of course wouldn't be considered 20 mil/per #'s ..so unless they re-do the deal..or puts up 45/120 #'s again..to warrant the option being picked up(and kept)...I think he will be either a FA or option picked up and TRADED(with them having to pick up some of the $$)..but that just my op.

Comment

Stand corrected..thought the Options were done on his contract...

Still believe at those #'s you just mentioned..35/100..the sox would want to KEEP HIM at the Option price of 20 mil..those of course wouldn't be considered 20 mil/per #'s ..so unless they re-do the deal..or puts up 45/120 #'s again..to warrant the option being picked up(and kept)...I think he will be either a FA or option picked up and TRADED(with them having to pick up some of the $$)..but that just my op.
                  You could be right. Probably depend on how the team plays with Manny giving those numbers.

Another thing to keep in mind. Manny's been a 10/5 guy for a few years now. So, Boston can only deal him if he gives the OK.

Comment

Working...
                  X