X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manny

FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - 10 things to watch in spring training

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    3. Manny Ramirez: His uncertain future beyond this season is likely to trigger a fresh episode of "Manny being Manny," and don't be shocked if it happens this spring. The Red Sox hold a $20 million club option on Ramirez for 2009 and another $20 million option on him for 2010. In other words, he could be a free agent as early as November.
    Ramirez, who turns 36 on May 30, is in tremendous condition after a winter of vigorous training. He has every incentive to produce, considering that his .388 on-base percentage last season matched his lowest since 1998 and his .493 slugging percentage was the lowest of his career. Still, it's not difficult to imagine him sulking over the Sox's refusal to offer him a contract extension.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

God, I hope that Theo decides to become "cost efficient" again after this season!! We will need a leftfielder in 2009 (assuming Alou does not come back at age 43).

Eh. The Mets' payroll is already over $130M and Ramirez is going to command $15M+. He's also getting up there in age (he'll turn 37 early in the 2009 season). I'd pass.
    My bone bruise is only at 79.52%.

Comment

One of the biggest mistakes that the Mets organization has made was not picking him up on waivers when the Red Sox put him out there.

Wasn't it the following summer that they were ready to ship out half a dozen guys to get him from Bos and Lugo and that 1B dude from Tampa?
      Your Daily Rayne Summers Moment...
      http://www.leasticoulddo.com/

Mitt Romney SUCKS.

Comment

Redsox are in a great position. If Manny wants to be paid 20 mil he'll have to produce. If he doesn't they can just let him walk.

Manny's essentially on three 1 years deals that the Redsox control.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankStylV7 View Post
          One of the biggest mistakes that the Mets organization has made was not picking him up on waivers when the Red Sox put him out there.

Wasn't it the following summer that they were ready to ship out half a dozen guys to get him from Bos and Lugo and that 1B dude from Tampa?
          Me either, but Wilpon was cheap back then. Hopefully thats all in the past

Comment

Originally posted by dak11 View Post
            Redsox are in a great position. If Manny wants to be paid 20 mil he'll have to produce. If he doesn't they can just let him walk.

Manny's essentially on three 1 years deals that the Redsox control.
            In looking at what is out there free agent-wise for OF's next winter, I think that maybe a diminished Manny (say 70-to-75% of what we are used to seeing from him) is the better option than any of them. So perhaps we hope for an off-year from him so the Sox cut ties and we have a chance to pick him up (albiet perhaps not for $20 million if we can help it if he does fall to the pack a little)?

Comment

Originally posted by Mex17 View Post
              In looking at what is out there free agent-wise for OF's next winter, I think that maybe a diminished Manny (say 70-to-75% of what we are used to seeing from him) is the better option than any of them. So perhaps we hope for an off-year from him so the Sox cut ties and we have a chance to pick him up (albiet perhaps not for $20 million if we can help it if he does fall to the pack a little)?
              Even at 70-75% Manny's still at least a 13-15 mil guy and the Mets won't be signing many of those in the near future. Especially if they have to pay good money for a 1B next year to replace Delgado.

I'll worry about next year, next year.

Comment

I STILL TAKE him short term as a replacement to Alou after this season.....
                ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Citifield & Mets...the place where Sluggers Careers go to DIE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLzr2Al_Os

Comment

Originally posted by dak11 View Post
                  Even at 70-75% Manny's still at least a 13-15 mil guy and the Mets won't be signing many of those in the near future. Especially if they have to pay good money for a 1B next year to replace Delgado.

I'll worry about next year, next year.
                  As my analysis showed...Mets will have significant $$ coming off payroll next year..but also have SEVERAL Holes to fill..(potentailly)..

Alou+Church = only 10 mil..but i doubt you get Manny for that amount..
                  ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Citifield & Mets...the place where Sluggers Careers go to DIE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLzr2Al_Os

Comment

Can we enjoy 2008?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese?
                    Your Daily Rayne Summers Moment...
                    http://www.leasticoulddo.com/

Mitt Romney SUCKS.

Comment

Can we enjoy 2008?

Santana is old hat dude.
                      "There have been artists who have failed to capture dichotomy as beautifully as the Mets have in playing Wilmer Flores at shortstop and Juan Lagares in center field."

Comment

Can we enjoy 2008?

why?

Comment

Pass on Manny. The #1 priority right now should be re-signing Perez and Pedro.
                          “President Obama is a personal friend of mine,” said Rickles. “He was over to the house yesterday, but the mop broke.”

It's early!!!

Be the kind of person that when your feet hit the floor each morning liberals say "Oh crap he's up"

Comment

Originally posted by METSSC View Post
                            Pass on Manny. The #1 priority right now should be re-signing Perez and Pedro.
                            Exactly

Comment

love Pedro, lets see him pitch a healthy season first.

Comment

Working...
                              X