Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Franco45 View Post
    Piazza was probably on roids just like everyone else
    Perhaps. But it's still sweet that Clemens is in the hot seat and Piazza is kick'n back considering the history the two have, that's all I'm saying.

Hopefully nothing ever comes out on Piazza. Hopefully.
    The New York Mets…

Where Legends become GARBAGE.

Comment

Originally posted by Franco45 View Post
      Piazza was probably on roids just like everyone else
      anything is possible, but going by my brother a fitness freak and a Yankee fan, and everyone he was able to pick out with near 100% accuracy, he was always convinced Piazza was clean.

he had Canseco pegged on steroids in 1988. McGwire and Sosa in 1996. He was disgusted by Clemens arrival in the Bronx because he was convinced more than any other player he had seen that Clemens was taking steroids. He pointed out to me some crazy photos of Clemens which I have yet to see brought up in the news of Clemens circa 1995 & 1996, then 1998. Think Ken Griffey's enormous swollen head in the Simpsons.

Comment

Originally posted by 15 Day DL Alou View Post
        anything is possible, but going by my brother a fitness freak and a Yankee fan, and everyone he was able to pick out with near 100% accuracy, he was always convinced Piazza was clean.

he had Canseco pegged on steroids in 1988. McGwire and Sosa in 1996. He was disgusted by Clemens arrival in the Bronx because he was convinced more than any other player he had seen that Clemens was taking steroids. He pointed out to me some crazy photos of Clemens which I have yet to see brought up in the news of Clemens circa 1995 & 1996, then 1998. Think Ken Griffey's enormous swollen head in the Simpsons.
        Just out of interest, going back to the disagreements we had about the number of pitchers likely roiding, the effect it had on their numbers and the impact thereof on the game how do you feel now? You seemed to dismiss the impact of pitchers using PED, but now it's a guy that has got teams to playoffs, won Cy Youngs and set all time records who had a clear improvement in numbers matching the time he used can it not now be said that it has just a big an impact as when hitters use them?
        "There have been artists who have failed to capture dichotomy as beautifully as the Mets have in playing Wilmer Flores at shortstop and Juan Lagares in center field."

Comment

Originally posted by 15 Day DL Alou View Post

BTW, what is your brother's feeling on Dennis Eckersley? Serious, just bought a whole bunch of Eck's cards, and granted he did quit drinking, but something just changed in his facial structure one he left Chicago for Oakland

It's not a growth, and yeah he did get helped by being the first of the one inning closers, but still what is what they say about Bonds/Clemens? You aren't supposed to become BETTER than you were as you age?
          NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
          The Batman Universe! Your source for all Batman related news and commentary
          Place To Be Nation: The Only Place To Be In Your Pop Culture World
          Twitter Baseball: @SJRMets

Comment

Originally posted by Led, the Revenge View Post
            Just out of interest, going back to the disagreements we had about the number of pitchers likely roiding, the effect it had on their numbers and the impact thereof on the game how do you feel now? You seemed to dismiss the impact of pitchers using PED, but now it's a guy that has got teams to playoffs, won Cy Youngs and set all time records who had a clear improvement in numbers matching the time he used can it not now be said that it has just a big an impact as when hitters use them?
            I would have expected still, to see extreme differences beyond endurance in old age for a pitcher, but that appears to not be the case. I would have expected more than maintenance, but a couple extra miles per hour on their fastball, but that appears not to be the case.

I still do no not think it was nearly as rampant among pitchers, because bulking up as a pitcher is not generally effective.

I find it hard to find any truth in Clemens denial at this point, although his statistical set of evidence is not off the wall, with freaks of nature like Nolan Ryan.

Comment

Steriods do not "bulk" people up. They allow muscle recovery to happen quicker. Hence steriods do not make people muscle bound, they allow them to work out more often. Being able to recover from a "tired" arm, or to still be able to throw in the mid to high 90's after 100 pitches would be a benifit of using steriods. That would be a HUGE benefit to pitchers IMO.
              "Managing is getting paid for home runs someone else hits." - New York Mets Manager (1962-1965) Casey Stengel

Comment

The more I think about this, the more I am coming around to the idea of giving Piazza an invite for backup 1B and PH.
                The 2018 Mets - making the Titanic look buoyant.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuahist View Post
                  Steriods do not "bulk" people up. They allow muscle recovery to happen quicker. Hence steriods do not make people muscle bound, they allow them to work out more often. Being able to recover from a "tired" arm, or to still be able to throw in the mid to high 90's after 100 pitches would be a benifit of using steriods. That would be a HUGE benefit to pitchers IMO.
                  you have said that repeatedly over and over again, and nothing could be further from the truth, all of these individuals who have been caught have shown abnormal body changes in their 30's, you do not grow in your 30's. the basic essence of steroids is that yes they give you the ability to work out more often hence you bulk up, if you take steroids and you do not work out you will gain weight because your body cannot process metabolically in the same manner it had naturally.

plenty of pitchers throw in the mid 90s beyond 100 pitches long before steroids was an issue, the benefit has to do with not breaking apart in August, September in October.

But the notion that you can take a super duper special steroid that will only target your ability not to tire or to rebound is sci-fi at the moment, hgh on the other hand, that may be able to do exactly that, I do not know for sure.

Comment

Working...
                  X