NL West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL West

I'm tired of this Clemens BS and with pitchers and catchers reporting tomorrow, I think it's time we start talking baseball.

Anyway, for argument's sake, let's say that now that we have Santana the Mets actually perform to their level and win the NL East. As it stands, I still think that the NL West is going to be the biggest test for us in terms of winning a championship. Until recently, I really wasn't focusing on these teams, because of I was more fixated on the offseason moves by the Mets. Anyway, I was reading about the NL West in a fantasy BB magazine, and it is amazing how this recent laughing stock of a division has now become a major force to contend with.

1. Rockies-I doubt that they will catch lightning in a bottle twice but they still should not be underestimated
    2. Diamondbacks-Maybe the nastiest rotation in the league. Webb, Haren, Johnson, Davis, Owings. If these guys finally learn to hit they will be a force to contend with
    3. Dodgers-Like it or not, Mother Torresa's teams seem to find a way to win. Andruw Jones may improve with a change of scenary and again if Kuroda and Schmidt stay healthy and perform, they will be tough.
    4. Giants- are rebuilding but a bounce back year from a slimmer Zito and if you throw Lincecum and Cain in the mix you could be in trouble in a short series.
    5. Padres- I actually think this team will be the easiest to beat. Their rotation with the exception of Peavy and Young is ancient and injury-prone. Their offense sucks.

Anyway, last year the Mets feasted on the NL Central which may have given them a false sense of confidence down the stretch. I hope that the Mets take each team seriously this year and pay particular attention to the NL West, for I believe that the road to the Series will go through this division.

Anyone else fear these NL West teams or am I overreacting to these "expert" predictions in these magazines.

These teams will spend a lot of time killing each other this season, since each seems to have solid 1-3 starters. IMO, D'Backs have the best pitching, but remains to be seen if Brandon Lyon can replace Valverde's 40+ saves.

Rox are not a fluke, but it will be hard to repeat last year's magic.

Pads and Giants are going to have trouble scoring runs, and Torre doesn't have Rivera closing games for him anymore.

D'Backs
    Rox
    Pads
    Dodgers
    Giants

Comment

Originally posted by Bay Ridge Dave View Post
      These teams will spend a lot of time killing each other this season, since each seems to have solid 1-3 starters. IMO, D'Backs have the best pitching, but remains to be seen if Brandon Lyon can replace Valverde's 40+ saves.

Rox are not a fluke, but it will be hard to repeat last year's magic.

Pads and Giants are going to have trouble scoring runs, and Torre doesn't have Rivera closing games for him anymore.

D'Backs
      Rox
      Pads
      Dodgers
      Giants
      But he has Saito, who weird to say was BETTER then Rivera last year

Rivera 3.15ERA 1.12WHIP 74K 12BB 30 Saves 248BAA 9.34 k/9
      Saito 1.4ERA .72WHIP 78K 13BB 39 Saves 151BAA 10.91 k/9
      I pushed the button and elected elected him to office and a He pushed the button and he dropped the bomb. You pushed the button and could watch it on the television Those mother****ers didn't last too long

Well I used to stand for something, Now I'm on my hands and knees, Trading in my god for this one And he signs his name with a capital G

Comment

Originally posted by Neu-IndustrialMets57 View Post
        But he has Saito, who weird to say was BETTER then Rivera last year

Rivera 3.15ERA 1.12WHIP 74K 12BB 30 Saves 248BAA 9.34 k/9
        Saito 1.4ERA .72WHIP 78K 13BB 39 Saves 151BAA 10.91 k/9
        Excellent point! Saito was light out last year.

As for Lyon, I agree, although Valverde imploded on us, he really had a great season for the DBacks. I doubt Lyon is going to be their closer all year, he just doesn't have great closer stuff. I think that if Lyon falters, Tony Pena will become their closer (he was 6th in holds last year-not bad for 1 year experience).

I think the NL West is going to be:

DBacks
        Dodgers
        Rockies
        Padres
        Giants

with the NL Wild Card coming again from the NL West.

Comment

IMO its gonna be
          Padres
          DBacks
          Rockies
          Dodgers
          Giants

IMO this will be the closest division I see top 4 teams seperated by 5 games by seasons end..

Noone in that division outside the Rockies can really score so it will really come down to Pitching..
          I pushed the button and elected elected him to office and a He pushed the button and he dropped the bomb. You pushed the button and could watch it on the television Those mother****ers didn't last too long

Well I used to stand for something, Now I'm on my hands and knees, Trading in my god for this one And he signs his name with a capital G

Comment

JMO, but the Rox are a fluke, their pitching isn't very good, and they dodged the injury bug that most teams had.

Arizona was outscored by their opponents last year, I am betting Haren (who I don't expect to even duplicate his 2007 season) will not be enough to cover up their no-offense. I am thinking a .500 record.

LA should be good if everyone performs, but the Dodgers seem to be the early 2000 mets incarnate.

Giants stink. I think that Castillo would bat cleanup for them. Pitching or no pitching they are terrible 1-8.

Padres have excellent pitching, but like the Giants really don't have much hitting. Now with some of their players getting older, others leaving, I don't see much of an improvement.
            "Managing is getting paid for home runs someone else hits." - New York Mets Manager (1962-1965) Casey Stengel

Comment

The Giants are horrible.

The Pods are .500 unless there's some huge shockers offensively. Remember they had an amazing performance from their pen last year and that's very difficult to duplicate year to year.

Rockies were a great story, but I'd be surprised if they won more than 85 this year.

I think the D-Back walk away with the division....only team I could possibly see challenging them are the Dodgers if everything falls right for them.

Comment

Saito might be the best closer in the game for my money.
                Your Daily Rayne Summers Moment...
                http://www.leasticoulddo.com/

Mitt Romney SUCKS.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankStylV7 View Post
                  Saito might be the best closer in the game for my money.
                  Isn't he like eighty years old though? I wonder how much longer he can keep it up?
                  "Managing is getting paid for home runs someone else hits." - New York Mets Manager (1962-1965) Casey Stengel

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat View Post
                    I think the D-Back walk away with the division....only team I could possibly see challenging them are the Dodgers if everything falls right for them.
                    Who's going to hit on the Diamondbacks though? Unless they get breakout years from their young hitters and repeat performances from Byrnes and Hudson, they'll have below-average offense.

The way I see it, especially with all the talented starting pitching and the lack of solid hitting in that division, I could see an usual amount of games determined by the bullpen, which should make the Padres and the Dodgers immediate favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by thetimidmango View Post
                      Who's going to hit on the Diamondbacks though? Unless they get breakout years from their young hitters and repeat performances from Byrnes and Hudson, they'll have below-average offense.

The way I see it, especially with all the talented starting pitching and the lack of solid hitting in that division, I could see an usual amount of games determined by the bullpen, which should make the Padres and the Dodgers immediate favorites.
                      I think the Padres bullpen will come crashing back down to earth. Hoffman is nothing more than a compiler and I HIGHLY doubt they get a 100 innings and an era of 2 from Bell or another 75 innings barely 3 era out of Doug Brocail. They have an even worse O than Arizona IMO. Giles and Edmonds are on a tremendous decline. They'll be lucky to get 30 Hrs out of them combined. So its pretty much up to Gonzalez to carry that team.

Saito was awesome last year, but he's 38 and most of these import relief pitchers seem to have 2 good years then fall off at least a bit. Beyond that, dont forget who will be managing that pen....1/2 those guys out there will be dead by June. With the Dodgers to me it comes down more to the health of Schmidt. If he's healthy they've got a good chance.

As for Zona, yes a lot depends on their young hitting, but Conor Jackson was a beast the 2nd 1/2 of last season....I expect him to continue that. Chris Young finished 3 steals shy of the 30/30 club in his rookie year. Drew underachieved and Tracy only managed to get into 70 games. A top 5 of Byrnes, Hudson, Jackson, Tracy, Young is pretty productive if they stay healthy. Then there's a bunch of potential in Drew and Upton. The Dodgers are going to have to lean on a young O as well and the Padres have no O period.

Comment

D-BAcks/Dodgers battle it out..

Pads never address offense and play in worst hitting park..relying on a rejuvianted Edmonds is a Mistake..

Dodgers need Schmidt to come back..theri BP is good and have good ypung hitting whom they can always pkg. in a deal to get someone for stretch run..

D-backs with best 1-5 in rotation..but no "scary" hitter...need a kid to make the leap..

Rox will take a step back...have the best/scariest line-up...if pitching steps up..could be back contending again(but don't see it either)

Gints are H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E...do they even have a COMPLETE lineup yet..they were horrible last year scoring runs..and STILL LOST players in line-up and to my knowledge haven't replaced them(Feliz/Bonds)..Cain and Lincecum will be losing alot of 3-2 /2-1 games...BP also a mystery..Zito NEEDS Run SUPPORT..so don't expect much from him....they needed to trade one of their "young guns" for a BaT..and passed..Benji Molina at cleanup...says it all..
                        ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Citifield & Mets...the place where Sluggers Careers go to DIE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLzr2Al_Os

Comment

I like the rockies. Jiminez, Morales, and Hirsh are 3 pretty well thought of prospects, if one has a breakout year and the other 2 are decent the Rockies will have a great staff to go along with Francis and a hopefully healthy cook. Bullpen is still a bit weak but the offense looks great, the only player they lost from last year is Kaz.

I think the Dodgers and DBacks will compete for the wild card. Arizona's big 2 pitching wise should prevent any losing streaks, and their bullpen should be pretty good, they just need a young player to step things up offensivle. Dodgers have been waiting to win wiht their young guys for what seems like years now, they have the pitching and bullpen to be pretty good. (IMO)

Padres dont scare me at all. Peavy is great, but Young has never gotten it done for a full season, Maddux is declining, Wolf is coming off an injury, and Prior hasnt been healthy in years. On top of that they're offense might be as bad as San Francisco's
                          you are looking at f*cking Lazarus sweetheart, and not just plain Lazarus, I'm f*cking self-raising Lazarus, right?

Comment

JMO, but the Rox are a fluke, their pitching isn't very good, and they dodged the injury bug that most teams had.
                            Not so sure about that. IIAMN, their original starting rotation was hit by injuries, and forced them to go with some kids sooner than they probably would have liked. It ended up being a blessing in disguise.

Comment

Originally posted by Bay Ridge Dave View Post
                              Not so sure about that. IIAMN, their original starting rotation was hit by injuries, and forced them to go with some kids sooner than they probably would have liked. It ended up being a blessing in disguise.
                              modern history shows those kids are going to regress hard, as they do not build up arm strength prior to the majors anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X