Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets make signing

Per The Official Site of The New York Mets: Homepage

FLUSHING -- The New York Mets announced today they have signed infielder Olmedo Saenz as a six-year minor league free agent and invited him to Major League spring training. Saenz, one of the most productive pinch hitters in the big leagues over the last four years, is a career .256 hitter (72-for-281) off the bench with 12 home runs and 58 RBI.

Olmedo, a 37-year-old righthanded hitter, was with the Los Angeles Dodgers the last four years. In 2007, he tied for fourth in the majors with 14 pinch hits (14-for-63, .222) and also had two home runs and 12 RBI.

Overall with the Dodgers last season, he hit .191 (21-for-110) with four home runs and 18 RBI. He appeared in 75 games as a pinch hitter. In the field, he performed in 13 games at first base (eight starts) and three games at third base (no starts).

With his 12 career pinch hit home runs, Saenz is now tied for 11th place in Major League history. For his career, Olmedo has appeared in 327 games as a pinch hitter.

Olmedo began his major league career with the Chicago White Sox in 1994. He also has played with Oakland and the Dodgers. In 783 games, the Panama native has a .263 average with 106 doubles, five triples, 73 home runs and 275 RBI.
    The original Creepy Ass Cracka

see if i had started the thread i would have titled it "Olmedo Saenz!"

Comment

If I titled it Olmedo Saenz, people may think I want the Mets to sign him. I don't or didn't. Another old first baseman to ride the pine yippie!

Comment

Another one of those can't hurt moves. Besides there aren't any kids to block any more.
        Baaaaaaaaa

King Sheep

2013 record in games attended: 8-7
        2014 record in games attended: 3-3
        2015 record in games attended: 11-3 Regular Season 4-3 Postseason
        2016 record in games attended: 4-6
        Next Games: Sunday July 10 vs Washington

Comment

Originally posted by SI Metman View Post
          Another one of those can't hurt moves. Besides there aren't any kids to block any more.
          Mike Carp and Abreu

It's an alright move. MAybe he's a clubhouse guy

Comment

Si
            Obama in 2008 "We won you lost...get over it":.

Comment

Very solid 2005, but his best days were in Oakland.

Hit a three run shot off Clemens in the 2000 ALDS.

Comment

We needed a backup Olmedo
                “President Obama is a personal friend of mine,” said Rickles. “He was over to the house yesterday, but the mop broke.”

It's early!!!

Be the kind of person that when your feet hit the floor each morning liberals say "Oh crap he's up"

Comment

More AAA fodder, I'm not against it.

Comment

Originally posted by SI Metman View Post
                    Another one of those can't hurt moves.
                    Exactly. If Easley and Anderson collide on a popup in spring training, maybe Saenz makes the Opening Day roster.
                    Originally posted by Busyman, September 28, 2008
                    1. Fire Omar
                    2. Re-hire Omar so you can fire him again
                    3. Literally set Omar on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by kingdiggler View Post
                      Per The Official Site of The New York Mets: Homepage

FLUSHING -- The New York Mets announced today they have signed infielder Olmedo Saenz as a six-year minor league free agent and invited him to Major League spring training. Saenz, one of the most productive pinch hitters in the big leagues over the last four years, is a career .256 hitter (72-for-281) off the bench with 12 home runs and 58 RBI.

Olmedo, a 37-year-old righthanded hitter, was with the Los Angeles Dodgers the last four years. In 2007, he tied for fourth in the majors with 14 pinch hits (14-for-63, .222) and also had two home runs and 12 RBI.

Overall with the Dodgers last season, he hit .191 (21-for-110) with four home runs and 18 RBI. He appeared in 75 games as a pinch hitter. In the field, he performed in 13 games at first base (eight starts) and three games at third base (no starts).

With his 12 career pinch hit home runs, Saenz is now tied for 11th place in Major League history. For his career, Olmedo has appeared in 327 games as a pinch hitter.

Olmedo began his major league career with the Chicago White Sox in 1994. He also has played with Oakland and the Dodgers. In 783 games, the Panama native has a .263 average with 106 doubles, five triples, 73 home runs and 275 RBI.
                      Perspective

Comment

Originally posted by kingdiggler View Post
                        Mike Carp and Abreu

It's an alright move. MAybe he's a clubhouse guy
                        Abreu is probably older than Saenz. Carp is just coming off a bad year in AA(both from an injury standpoint and performance)Saenz had been a real good pinch hitter with some pop over the years. I would figure he'll probably compete with Tatis for the backup first baseman-Pinch hitter job. If or when Easley shows he's 100% Gotay likely will likely be traded.
                        For the Wright haters. Wright's career numbers with runners on 2nd and 3rd
                        .343/.481/.600 /1.081

Runner on 3rd, less than 2 out
                        .419/.431/.671/1.102

Comment

Pluggin up the holes...RH off the bench is a bit of a concern...this guy has been pretty productive in that role. Nice find

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat View Post
                            Pluggin up the holes...RH off the bench is a bit of a concern...this guy has been pretty productive in that role. Nice find
                            My thoughts exactly.
                            Give me your tired, your poor,
                            Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
                            The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
                            Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
                            I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Comment

Originally posted by graves9 View Post
                              Abreu is probably older than Saenz. Carp is just coming off a bad year in AA(both from an injury standpoint and performance)Saenz had been a real good pinch hitter with some pop over the years. I would figure he'll probably compete with Tatis for the backup first baseman-Pinch hitter job. If or when Easley shows he's 100% Gotay likely will likely be traded.
                              Olmedo, a 37-year-old righthanded hitter

I hope that Abreu is younger than that...
                              "Managing is getting paid for home runs someone else hits." - New York Mets Manager (1962-1965) Casey Stengel

Comment

Working...
                              X