Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Livan to sign with Minnesota

FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Twins pick up free-agent hurler Hernandez

Anybody find it ironic how after all this, we wind up with Santana and the Twins wind up with Livan?

Oh dear God, please, no.

I just turned off all sports radio here for the next, oh, 3 weeks.
    I just took a crap and named it muhammed -- METSSC

The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles. -- Jeff Cooper, the Art of the Rifle

Comment

Johan Santana is a Met.
      Giants won the Superbowl.

Still can't get used to those two statements.
      Originally posted by Luscious Johnny D.
      Because I fear no man. I feel no pain. This is why I don't play with a full deck. In my world, there are no rules. You wanna step over the line, I'll run across it. And when I turn to look to see how far behind you are, you will see into the soul of the sickest man God's hands have ever created. For those who need a visual, here ya go.

Comment

Damn it Omar, where were you on that one?

Comment

Someone had to replace Carlos Silva for their annual buffet table contest..

Comment

Rotoworld.com says the contract is for 1 year / $5 or $7 million. If the Mets could have signed Livan at that price, IMO, it would have been worth layering him atop the current pitching staff. (Cue fat jokes.)
            Originally posted by Busyman, September 28, 2008
            1. Fire Omar
            2. Re-hire Omar so you can fire him again
            3. Literally set Omar on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory Gewirtz View Post
              Rotoworld.com says the contract is for 1 year / $5 or $7 million. If the Mets could have signed Livan at that price, IMO, it would have been worth layering him atop the current pitching staff. (Cue fat jokes.)
              That is about 5 or 7 million too much....

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory Gewirtz View Post
                Absolutely agree. He's a relative bargain at that price.

Comment

Look at it this way, if you divide out his salary by raw poundage of food intake, he's a 50% savings over Carlos Silva.
                  I just took a crap and named it muhammed -- METSSC

The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles. -- Jeff Cooper, the Art of the Rifle

Comment

The big difference (no joke intended) between Livan and the others (ie Armas Jr.), is that at 1 yr, 7 million, the Mets would all but have to commit to him, even if he does poorly. With the others, if they perform badly, then can simply be sent back down or released... no fuss no muss.

Livan is going to get destroyed in the AL, especially in the dome.

As Dak points out, I think Armas Jr has a fair chance to stick with team in a bulllpen role.

Comment

JMO but I think that Livan is all but done. He can't even break glass with his fastball anymore, and his junk is getting more and more hittable every year. Look for this to be his last guaranteed deal.
                      "Managing is getting paid for home runs someone else hits." - New York Mets Manager (1962-1965) Casey Stengel

Comment

As it stands now, the Mets don't have one guy who's even a tolerable starter for any but here-and-there emergency starts. Pelfrey could develop into that guy this year, and maybe the Mets get lucky with Sosa, Armas, Jason Vargas, or hell, Nelson Figueroa, but if and when El Duque or Pedro goes down, or anyone else, the Mets have a huge void. The ripple effect of adding El Duque to the pen to fortify the pen and/or limit his innings is also a positive.

As is shown every year, a team's sixth and seventh starters can get a decent amount of work. Blending Livan into the mix, who is still a reasonable starter at the back end of the rotation, who as recently as two seasons ago pitched 250 innings at a 4 ERA, and who has made successful pitching adjustments a few times in his career already, would give the Mets' rotation a huge (literally and figuratively) insurance policy.

All that said, if the Mets can get Lohse for 1 year/$4M or if they can sign Colon, Freddy Garcia, or even David Wells to NRIs or something close, I'm all for it.
                        Originally posted by Busyman, September 28, 2008
                        1. Fire Omar
                        2. Re-hire Omar so you can fire him again
                        3. Literally set Omar on fire.

Comment

Working...
                        X