Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kingdiggler
    replied
    What does 70 pitches get you these days anyway? They should have sent him down to stretch him out. That's between 4 and 5 innings if he's effective.

Leave a comment:

• Bay Ridge Dave
    replied
    Joba will have success against really crappy offensive teams.

That's why Senator Al brazenly chirped last night that he thinks Joba will be "much more successful" in his start... which is vs the Royals...

Leave a comment:

• dak11
    replied
    Originally posted by Fonzy13 View Post
    So, who was utterly shocked last night?

Anyone.

I stick by my original thoughts. It was a dumb thing to do.
    I'm not that shocked considering their need for starter. If everything stayed as planned I wouldn't have expected him to be in the rotation.

I keep thinking that I want Joba to be OK in the starting rotation. Just good enough for them to keep trying the experiment and not move him back to the pen but not good enough where he's a top level starter so I can watch this blow up in their face.

Leave a comment:

• joelyoungblood81
    replied
    I love how the Yanks spun the whole "The plan was to start Joba the whole time". So you are telling me if Hughes and Kennedy pitched well, Joba wouldn't be in the pen? PLEASE!

..and no one calls tha Yankees on this B.S.. Ridiculous.

I guess they stopped construction on Joba's monument.

Leave a comment:

• Fonzy13
    replied
    Originally posted by dak11 View Post
    I believe this is their way of telling Chamberlain that he's pitching in relief this year without taking all hope from him about starting in the future.

I'll be utterly shocked if he's pitching great out of the pen and they follow through with this.
    So, who was utterly shocked last night?

Anyone.

I stick by my original thoughts. It was a dumb thing to do.

Leave a comment:

• Voodoo
    replied
    Originally posted by freakzilla11 View Post
    He was just Heilmaned.
    "Now Joba...about that parking spot...."

Leave a comment:

• Gregory Gewirtz
    replied
    You mean, like the article states they will?
    There's a difference between a plan to limit innings and a plan to stretch a guy out in the minors versus hasty "performance-based" demotions (for example, Joe Smith has a bad week and is scuttled, Mike Pelfrey gets a month's audition before being sent down) or promotions or changes of role driven by the fact that there's nobody else available (every one of Pelfrey's call-ups, one could argue; Humber's one September start; much of Heilman's career; hell, Alay Soler's Mets career).

If the Yankees only change Chamberlain's role once (from reliever to starter) and if they are demoting him only so that he can reconvert to be a starter (with the exception, of course, that if he genuinely stinks this year, they'll eventually have to send him down), that is not yo-yo-ing, but it amounts to one role change, not day-to-day role changes and reevaluations based on the whim of the moment. The Mets (and by "the Mets," I mean "Omar") are constantly trying to catch lightning in a bottle, trying to get by on "Mets magic" and trying to divert the media's attention towards the new flavor-of-the-month unready prospect, instead of providing adequate, tested, reliable depth in the pantry.
    Last edited by Gregory Gewirtz; 02-12-2008, 05:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fonzy13
    replied
    Originally posted by Gregory Gewirtz View Post
    Yes and yes.

In addition, if Rivera gets hurt, and if it makes more sense for Chamberlain to become the closer, the Yanks can go ahead with that and convert him to the rotation next year. There's nothing unique or bold about limiting a young pitcher's innings by pitching him in relief, especially when he could be valuable in relief as opposed to being a mop-up man.

The Yanks will only screw Chamberlain in 2008 if they yo-yo him back and forth between the rotation and the bullpen and between the majors and the minors.
    You mean, like the article states they will?

Leave a comment:

• Gregory Gewirtz
    replied
    Did you guys read the article?

You look at that and say, "Boy, what a neat idea?"
    Yes and yes.

In addition, if Rivera gets hurt, and if it makes more sense for Chamberlain to become the closer, the Yanks can go ahead with that and convert him to the rotation next year. There's nothing unique or bold about limiting a young pitcher's innings by pitching him in relief, especially when he could be valuable in relief as opposed to being a mop-up man.

The Yanks will only screw Chamberlain in 2008 if they yo-yo him back and forth between the rotation and the bullpen and between the majors and the minors.

Leave a comment:

• NickPapagiorgio
    replied
    Originally posted by dak11 View Post
    I believe this is their way of telling Chamberlain that he's pitching in relief this year without taking all hope from him about starting in the future.

I'll be utterly shocked if he's pitching great out of the pen and they follow through with this.
    Bingo. I will be shocked if he pitches as a starter this year.

Leave a comment:

• graves9
    replied
    Boy George stated that the Stanks will have the best pitching staff since the Dodgers of the 60's. What a freaking idiot. I hope those three jackasses end up being bigger busts then Generation K ever was.

Leave a comment:

• metboy98
    replied
    You mean they want all their prospects to amount to nothing and get traded for nothing?

Leave a comment:

• freakzilla11
    replied
    He was just Heilmaned.

Leave a comment:

• TheeSublimeOne
    replied
    Wow, after reading that article it makes me feel good about the Mets bullpen.

Leave a comment:

• dak11
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X