Yankees: "We Need To Be More Like The Mets"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankees: "We Need To Be More Like The Mets"

Ok, so it's not a direct quote. That being said, this reeks of both desparation and stupidity. And sounds exactly like something the Mets would normally try to pass of as a "unique plan."

These aren't your brother's New York Yankees.

IT'S A SETUP
    Originally posted by Luscious Johnny D.
    I'll save you the effort since I know where you're going with this, but I'll make a few observations on your comment that was not thought out too well. (1) It's rather difficult to call the phony king of England the government. (2) I would think someone like you would have no objection to someone trying to undo the over-taxation of the people. (3) In this case, no, I have no problem with them taking from the government since they were not ruling for the people.

You mean the Yanks don't want to make the playoffs this year?
    The 2018 Mets - making the Titanic look buoyant.

Comment

Because I fear no man. I feel no pain. This is why I don't play with a full deck. In my world, there are no rules. You wanna step over the line, I'll run across it. And when I turn to look to see how far behind you are, you will see into the soul of the sickest man God's hands have ever created. For those who need a visual, here ya go.

Comment

If the Yankees were trying to treat Chamberlain like the Mets would, he would have started last season in the rotation (if not the summer before) with little minor league experience under his belt, then have been sent to the minor leagues for six weeks before being called up to be a reliever for 8 days, then sent down again, etc., etc.

Regarding this season, even if the Mets came out with a similar Chamberlain plan, it would still be revised day-to-day based on other injuries, based on whatever pitchers they are trying to hold on to without passing them through waivers, etc., and Chamberlain would still be eligible for demotion based on a a few bad outings.

I have no problem with the Yankees plan for Chamberlain, but it could be a disaster if they change their mind every week.
        Originally posted by Busyman, September 28, 2008
        1. Fire Omar
        2. Re-hire Omar so you can fire him again
        3. Literally set Omar on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory Gewirtz View Post
          If the Yankees were trying to treat Chamberlain like the Mets would, he would have started last season in the rotation (if not the summer before) with little minor league experience under his belt, then have been sent to the minor leagues for six weeks before being called up to be a reliever for 8 days, then sent down again, etc., etc.

Regarding this season, even if the Mets came out with a similar Chamberlain plan, it would still be revised day-to-day based on other injuries, based on whatever pitchers they are trying to hold on to without passing them through waivers, etc., and Chamberlain would still be eligible for demotion based on a a few bad outings.

I have no problem with the Yankees plan for Chamberlain, but it could be a disaster if they change their mind every week.
          Good post. The problem isn't with "plans" - it's usually with how the Mets go about implementing them.
          I’m just talking about the most basic aspects of team ownership and stewardship. These guys aren’t just bad at it; they’re the definition of dysfunctional. If the Mets were their kid, Child Services would’ve whisked the team into foster care years ago.
          http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2009/11/...ggest-turkeys/

Comment

Did you guys read the article?

You look at that and say, "Boy, what a neat idea?"

We'll have the guy pitch out of the pen for two months, then send him to the minors for four weeks to stretch out his arm, then bring him back up and plug him into the rotation.

It's the most assinine thing I've ever heard. Perhaps if the season is cast in stone, and you can predict what will happen during each given game, like some sort of Cruise pre-cog, ok then. But this? What if they don't need a pitcher in the rotation? What if he sucks this year? What if Rivera gets hurt? There's a lot of "what-ifs."

Why put out a plan like this, so refined, that basically calls for it to remain in place regardless of the circumstances.

The problem in this case isn't the execution of the plan, it's the idea that there is a plan beyond pen or rotation. Overthinking. It's just like the Mets.
            I'll save you the effort since I know where you're going with this, but I'll make a few observations on your comment that was not thought out too well. (1) It's rather difficult to call the phony king of England the government. (2) I would think someone like you would have no objection to someone trying to undo the over-taxation of the people. (3) In this case, no, I have no problem with them taking from the government since they were not ruling for the people.

Comment

I believe this is their way of telling Chamberlain that he's pitching in relief this year without taking all hope from him about starting in the future.

I'll be utterly shocked if he's pitching great out of the pen and they follow through with this.

Comment

Wow, after reading that article it makes me feel good about the Mets bullpen.
                2015 NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
                2016 NATIONAL LEAGUE WILD CARD WINNER

Comment

He was just Heilmaned.
                  Because I fear no man. I feel no pain. This is why I don't play with a full deck. In my world, there are no rules. You wanna step over the line, I'll run across it. And when I turn to look to see how far behind you are, you will see into the soul of the sickest man God's hands have ever created. For those who need a visual, here ya go.

Comment

You mean they want all their prospects to amount to nothing and get traded for nothing?

Comment

Boy George stated that the Stanks will have the best pitching staff since the Dodgers of the 60's. What a freaking idiot. I hope those three jackasses end up being bigger busts then Generation K ever was.
                      For the Wright haters. Wright's career numbers with runners on 2nd and 3rd
                      .343/.481/.600 /1.081

Runner on 3rd, less than 2 out
                      .419/.431/.671/1.102

Comment

Originally posted by dak11 View Post
                        I believe this is their way of telling Chamberlain that he's pitching in relief this year without taking all hope from him about starting in the future.

I'll be utterly shocked if he's pitching great out of the pen and they follow through with this.
                        Bingo. I will be shocked if he pitches as a starter this year.
                        NickPapagiorgio Posting Alert System (current status): Green

Comment

Originally posted by Fonzy13 View Post
                          Did you guys read the article?

You look at that and say, "Boy, what a neat idea?"
                          Yes and yes.

In addition, if Rivera gets hurt, and if it makes more sense for Chamberlain to become the closer, the Yanks can go ahead with that and convert him to the rotation next year. There's nothing unique or bold about limiting a young pitcher's innings by pitching him in relief, especially when he could be valuable in relief as opposed to being a mop-up man.

The Yanks will only screw Chamberlain in 2008 if they yo-yo him back and forth between the rotation and the bullpen and between the majors and the minors.
                          1. Fire Omar

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory Gewirtz View Post
                            Yes and yes.

In addition, if Rivera gets hurt, and if it makes more sense for Chamberlain to become the closer, the Yanks can go ahead with that and convert him to the rotation next year. There's nothing unique or bold about limiting a young pitcher's innings by pitching him in relief, especially when he could be valuable in relief as opposed to being a mop-up man.

The Yanks will only screw Chamberlain in 2008 if they yo-yo him back and forth between the rotation and the bullpen and between the majors and the minors.
                            You mean, like the article states they will?

Comment

Originally posted by Fonzy13 View Post
                              You mean, like the article states they will?
                              There's a difference between a plan to limit innings and a plan to stretch a guy out in the minors versus hasty "performance-based" demotions (for example, Joe Smith has a bad week and is scuttled, Mike Pelfrey gets a month's audition before being sent down) or promotions or changes of role driven by the fact that there's nobody else available (every one of Pelfrey's call-ups, one could argue; Humber's one September start; much of Heilman's career; hell, Alay Soler's Mets career).

If the Yankees only change Chamberlain's role once (from reliever to starter) and if they are demoting him only so that he can reconvert to be a starter (with the exception, of course, that if he genuinely stinks this year, they'll eventually have to send him down), that is not yo-yo-ing, but it amounts to one role change, not day-to-day role changes and reevaluations based on the whim of the moment. The Mets (and by "the Mets," I mean "Omar") are constantly trying to catch lightning in a bottle, trying to get by on "Mets magic" and trying to divert the media's attention towards the new flavor-of-the-month unready prospect, instead of providing adequate, tested, reliable depth in the pantry.
                              Last edited by Gregory Gewirtz; 02-12-2008, 04:00 PM.
                              1. Fire Omar

Comment

Working...
                              X