Mike Sweeney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Sweeney

Anyone surprised the Mets didn't show some interest in this guy (other than the fact he is white)? I know he has had injuries problems but he would have been a solid RH bat off the bench and could have spelled Delgado at first occasionally. He only got a minor league deal from Oakland. Seems like something the Mets could have matched.
    NickPapagiorgio Posting Alert System (current status): Green

Was Sweeney a guy who strongly preferred the West Coast?

In any event, I don't see where Sweeney fits onto Oakland's roster, so it's possible the Mets will have another shot at him at the end of spring training. As a righty power bat who would only be called on to play first base here and there, Sweeney would make some sense for the last spot on the Mets bench. FWIW, Omar has already shown a propensity for giving the last spot on the bench to a good-in-the-clubhouse veteran who only plays first base in Julio Franco, (his few innings at third base notwithstanding).
    Originally posted by Busyman, September 28, 2008
    1. Fire Omar
    2. Re-hire Omar so you can fire him again
    3. Literally set Omar on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory Gewirtz View Post

In any event, I don't see where Sweeney fits onto Oakland's roster, so it's possible the Mets will have another shot at him at the end of spring training. As a righty power bat who would only be called on to play first base here and there, Sweeney would make some sense for the last spot on the Mets bench. FWIW, Omar has already shown a propensity for giving the last spot on the bench to a good-in-the-clubhouse veteran who only plays first base in Julio Franco, (his few innings at third base notwithstanding).
      Myth.

Comment

Originally posted by Bay Ridge Dave View Post
        Myth.
        No argument here. But, as I'm sure you'd agree, that was Omar's perception of Franco at the time he was signed.

Originally posted by Gregory Gewirtz View Post

In any event, I don't see where Sweeney fits onto Oakland's roster, so it's possible the Mets will have another shot at him at the end of spring training. As a righty power bat who would only be called on to play first base here and there, Sweeney would make some sense for the last spot on the Mets bench. FWIW, Omar has already shown a propensity for giving the last spot on the bench to a "good-in-the-clubhouse" veteran who only plays first base in Julio Franco, (his few innings at third base notwithstanding).
        Fixed.
        1. Fire Omar

Comment

No thanks to Sweeney Todd.
          The 2018 Mets - making the Titanic look buoyant.

Comment

Sweeney will likely go down for the year on March 15th. I believe in the Post Joel Sherman mentioned that the Mets might look at Fernando Tatis as a bat off the bench and a backup first baseman.
            For the Wright haters. Wright's career numbers with runners on 2nd and 3rd
            .343/.481/.600 /1.081

Runner on 3rd, less than 2 out
            .419/.431/.671/1.102

Comment

Originally posted by graves9 View Post
              Sweeney will likely go down for the year on March 15th. I believe in the Post Joel Sherman mentioned that the Mets might look at Fernando Tatis as a bat off the bench and a backup first baseman.
              At absolute minimum, Tatis could be more useful that David Newhan or Julio Franco were last season, not that that's where the bar is set.
              1. Fire Omar

Comment

I think Beane prefers only white guys, damn the league racism.

Comment

Working...
                X