No announcement yet.

Signing Green..Is this so outrageous??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signing Green..Is this so outrageous??

Look Shawn Green is still out there....I'm not sold on Ryan Church being an everyday player, and Chavez will have to play LF when Alou goes down again in May. With that said, wouldn't it be reasonable to sign Green to a 1 year deal. The guy still can hit near.300 (.291) and accepted his role as a platoon player with dignity last year. I don't think that multi-year deal is coming his way, so doesn't this make some sense to sign him to 1 year deal??? He can play OF,1B, and strengthen our bench.

Originally posted by ultramet View Post
    Look Shawn Green is still out there....I'm not sold on Ryan Church being an everyday player, and Chavez will have to play LF when Alou goes down again in May. With that said, wouldn't it be reasonable to sign Green to a 1 year deal. The guy still can hit near.300 (.291) and accepted his role as a platoon player with dignity last year. I don't think that multi-year deal is coming his way, so doesn't this make some sense to sign him to 1 year deal??? He can play OF,1B, and strengthen our bench.
    Who gets cut? Marlon Anderson? Easley?

Bench already has Valentin, Chavez, Castro...

Is he that much of an upgrade over Anderson or Easley at this point?

Comment

I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised with Church. Just a feeling.
      I’m just talking about the most basic aspects of team ownership and stewardship. These guys aren’t just bad at it; they’re the definition of dysfunctional. If the Mets were their kid, Child Services would’ve whisked the team into foster care years ago.
      http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2009/11/...ggest-turkeys/

Comment

We need a righty bat for the bench.

Valentin will either not make the club, or start the season in AAA. He himself said he will not be ready in time for the season.

Comment

Originally posted by gregjefferies09 View Post
          Who gets cut? Marlon Anderson? Easley?

Bench already has Valentin, Chavez, Castro...

Is he that much of an upgrade over Anderson or Easley at this point?
          Good points. I realize this; however, over the course of a 162 game season I think that Green has more player potential that some of these bench guys...namely Valentin and even Anderson. Personally, I think it was a waste to re-sign Valentin. Last year, he really demonstrated that he could not recreate his 2006 season magic. At least I can say that Green can consistently reasonably hit for average.

Comment

Originally posted by Bay Ridge Dave View Post
            We need a righty bat for the bench.

Valentin will either not make the club, or start the season in AAA. He himself said he will not be ready in time for the season.
            How about Corey Patterson? I know the guy is a lefty (bat) but he is only 28 years old and worth a shot. i can't believe that he is not signed yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ultramet View Post
              Good points. I realize this; however, over the course of a 162 game season I think that Green has more player potential that some of these bench guys...namely Valentin and even Anderson. Personally, I think it was a waste to re-sign Valentin. Last year, he really demonstrated that he could not recreate his 2006 season magic. At least I can say that Green can consistently reasonably hit for average.
              I'm not against the idea. Just playing advocate.

I guess if Omar decided to carry 1 less pitcher it is feesable

Even if they took Valentin off the roster, it would be Castro, Easley, Chavez, Marlon Anderson, and possibly Gotay/Ahern. Maybe even seeing FMart getting a call up.

I wouldn't mind a bench with Castro, Easley, Chavez, Anderson and Green. But I am not sure the Mets would consider going into the season with a bench that consists of a catcher, an OF and 3 guys that are basically OF/1B (two of which can play a little second, but probably not great options at second or third).

Comment

I'd take Green. I never saw him dog it. He filled in nicely at first for a month last year, making picks like JohnnyO. Not the greatest player in the world, but like Omar says, you can never have too many white people.

Comment

Green is redundant. The Mets have enough lefty bats with doubles power floating around first base and the corner outfield spots. I agree that Green still has some value as a lefty-hitting OF/1B, but the Mets don't need one of those.
                  Originally posted by Busyman, September 28, 2008
                  1. Fire Omar
                  2. Re-hire Omar so you can fire him again
                  3. Literally set Omar on fire.

Comment

I'll take a Passover on the Hebrew Hammer.
                    WWW.MYSPACE.COM/THOSEHIPPOCRITES

Comment

The guy can't play the outfield...we need a right-handed bat that can play the outfield and first.
                      Obama in 2008 "We won you lost...get over it":.

Comment

He can't look any worse in the outfield than Marlon Anderson did.
                        Theyd done so well up to that point, surprising so many of us with their post-season success, that all I really wanted from their World Series appearance was for them not to embarrass themselves. Win or lose. Just don't sh•• the bed.

Geeze. Thanks, Mets.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Kings_of_Quit View Post
                          He can't look any worse in the outfield than Marlon Anderson did.
                          i think your memory eludes you my friend... shawn green has 0 range

Comment

Originally posted by Sports Doctor View Post
                            i think your memory eludes you my friend... shawn green has 0 range
                            Range is one thing... Anderson somehow turns every fly ball into a Jackass episode. And I happen to really like Marlon Anderson, but if you go back and re-watch the 2006 NLDS, he practically handed the Mets game 3 on a silver platter with his left field "D."
                            Theyd done so well up to that point, surprising so many of us with their post-season success, that all I really wanted from their World Series appearance was for them not to embarrass themselves. Win or lose. Just don't sh•• the bed.

Geeze. Thanks, Mets.

Comment

Yes he can and he did ,IMO. He can't come in on a ball, he can't go back, he has no speed in the outfield
                              Obama in 2008 "We won you lost...get over it":.

Comment

Working...
                              X