No announcement yet.

Mets sign Tony Armas, Jr. to NRI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Armas has the most value taking a turn every 5th day in New Orleans as opposed to rotting in the bullpen in New York. You need rotation options beyond you top 5 (or even 6) guys, so he provides a little more of that.

So now we have Sosa available to make a spot start out if the bullpen if it is ever needed and Pelfrey, Vargas, and Armas a phone call away. That ought to be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Mex17 View Post
      Armas has the most value taking a turn every 5th day in New Orleans as opposed to rotting in the bullpen in New York. You need rotation options beyond you top 5 (or even 6) guys, so he provides a little more of that.

So now we have Sosa available to make a spot start out if the bullpen if it is ever needed and Pelfrey, Vargas, and Armas a phone call away. That ought to be enough.
      Armas actually pitched decent out of the pen last year for the Pirates (outside of ERA).

26.2 IP, 25 hits, 22 K's, .248 BAA, ~1.14 WHiP

His value could be out of the pen rather then a starter at this point of his career.

Comment

This is a decent move. As everyone else has said, the Mets will need options when El Duque goes on his annual mid-summer vacation.
        My bone bruise is only at 79.52%.

Comment

Originally posted by dak11 View Post
          Armas actually pitched decent out of the pen last year for the Pirates (outside of ERA).

26.2 IP, 25 hits, 22 K's, .248 BAA, ~1.14 WHiP

His value could be out of the pen rather then a starter at this point of his career.
          I didn't know that, but I still think that we need options (plural) in AAA to come up and make a start if need be. If you really want to consider Armas for a spot in the pen when the season starts, I would make it a competition with him and Sosa with the loser joining Pelfrey and Vargas in the NO rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mex17 View Post
            I didn't know that, but I still think that we need options (plural) in AAA to come up and make a start if need be. If you really want to consider Armas for a spot in the pen when the season starts, I would make it a competition with him and Sosa with the loser joining Pelfrey and Vargas in the NO rotation.
            I have to ask.

WHY would you want a guy who's had a 5+ ERA on average over the last 4 seasons anywhere near the starting rotation?

Oh, and I could be wrong but I don't think there's anyway you'll pass Sosa through waivers and get him to AAA, or that he wouldn't opt to become a FA instead.

Comment

Originally posted by dak11 View Post
              I have to ask.

WHY would you want a guy who's had a 5+ ERA on average over the last 4 seasons anywhere near the starting rotation?

Oh, and I could be wrong but I don't think there's anyway you'll pass Sosa through waivers and get him to AAA, or that he wouldn't opt to become a FA instead.
              I'm talking about spot starts here. If Sosa (or Armas. . .whoever it is that has the stats that you quoted) was better than that they would be in a major league rotation already. As it stands, both of them are on Mets and they have started in the past. That is all that I am talking about here.
              Last edited by Mex17; 02-12-2008, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 15 Day DL Alou View Post
                not much downside but the only difference between this guy and Brian Lawrence, Jose Lima or an assorted cast of characterst that greatly offend some of us from time to time (including me) is that he blows at age 29.
                I agree. I don't see much off a difference between him and those clowns. I hope to hell he doesn't make even one start here.
                For the Wright haters. Wright's career numbers with runners on 2nd and 3rd
                .343/.481/.600 /1.081

Runner on 3rd, less than 2 out
                .419/.431/.671/1.102

Comment

Now and then, one of these guys pans out to fill some role. Darren Oliver was the textbook definition of a retread, but he served as a good long reliever. Dan Wheeler was another failed starter who filled a role and revived his career in relief.

The Mets haven't had a good retread-turned-adequate fill-in starter since maybe Brian Bohanon a decade ago (or Rick Reed around the same time, who actually became an excellent starter), but other teams have had better success finding someone to stick when injuries arise.
                  Originally posted by Busyman, September 28, 2008
                  1. Fire Omar
                  2. Re-hire Omar so you can fire him again
                  3. Literally set Omar on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by graves9 View Post
                    I agree. I don't see much off a difference between him and those clowns. I hope to hell he doesn't make even one start here.
                    my point was really that tossing guys minor league deals should not be a big deal either way, age or not, somehow is a guy is over the age of 35 it is borderline insane to give them a deal or speculated that it is a "friendship" deal, grabbing arms in case you need them in desparation should never be such a big end of the world scenario

Comment

Working...
                    X