Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hojo of 1991
    replied
    Damnit.... of course Ervin is lighting the AL on fire now....

Leave a comment:

• 15 Day DL Alou
    replied
    Originally posted by MajorRanger35 View Post
    These links make it seem that the option is for $16M if it vests and $12M if it doesn't ($4M buyout either way):

Cot's Baseball Contracts: New York Mets
    ESPN - Mets, Orioles lose out on first baseman - MLB

Now, is Delgado worth what is effectively $8M for an extra year? IMO, it largely depends on how he plays in 2008.
    I thought the vesting was dropped as part of the trade, but perhaps not, nevertheless if his option does not vest, I don't think that is going to be because he hit 35+ HR with 115+ RBI and the Mets got lucky and he did not finish in the top 10 in MVP voting (which is just a guess where the vesting is)

If his option does not vest, I would guess he did no better and perhaps worse than 2007 at which point he should be bought out.

Leave a comment:

• graves9
    replied
    Originally posted by Hojo of 1991 View Post
    Basing it off the fact that the Angles want more power, and though we may not see the minor leaguers ahead of him, all LA publications point to him being pushed to the bullpen.

Fact is, they tried to get Konerko, and couldn't get him straight up for Santana... the Sox wanted more. Delgado seems like a good alternative, no?
    No he isn't. Konerko is still a good hitter and is looked as a good leader as well. The fact that Escobar is hurt again and will miss the first month of the season likely means they aren't moving Santana in any deal soon.

Leave a comment:

• Hojo of 1991
    replied
    Originally posted by 15 Day DL Alou View Post
    I see 4, but who is counting.
    Basing it off the fact that the Angles want more power, and though we may not see the minor leaguers ahead of him, all LA publications point to him being pushed to the bullpen.

Fact is, they tried to get Konerko, and couldn't get him straight up for Santana... the Sox wanted more. Delgado seems like a good alternative, no?

Leave a comment:

• MajorRanger35
    replied
    His option is for $16M, he is guaranteed $4M no matter what from the Mets. The difference being $12M not $8M.
    These links make it seem that the option is for $16M if it vests and $12M if it doesn't ($4M buyout either way):

Cot's Baseball Contracts: New York Mets
    ESPN - Mets, Orioles lose out on first baseman - MLB

Now, is Delgado worth what is effectively $8M for an extra year? IMO, it largely depends on how he plays in 2008.

Leave a comment:

• 15 Day DL Alou
    replied
    Originally posted by MajorRanger35 View Post
    Mientkiewicz actually signed with Pittsburgh.

The Mets are stuck with Delgado for 2008. Maybe they'll make a play for Teixeira in the offseason, maybe they will go the trade route, but keeping Delgado for 2009 is actually a possibility. Delgado's option is for $12 million if it doesn't vest, and $4 million of that is guaranteed as a buy-out, so the option is effectively only for $8 million. If the Mets don't have any other solid 1B choices and the Jihadist puts up a decent season he might actually be asked to stick around.
    His option is for $16M, he is guaranteed $4M no matter what from the Mets. The difference being $12M not $8M.

Leave a comment:

• MajorRanger35
    replied
    Mientkiewicz actually signed with Pittsburgh.

The Mets are stuck with Delgado for 2008. Maybe they'll make a play for Teixeira in the offseason, maybe they will go the trade route, but keeping Delgado for 2009 is actually a possibility. Delgado's option is for $12 million if it doesn't vest, and $4 million of that is guaranteed as a buy-out, so the option is effectively only for $8 million. If the Mets don't have any other solid 1B choices and the Jihadist puts up a decent season he might actually be asked to stick around.

Leave a comment:

• 15 Day DL Alou
    replied
    Originally posted by gregjefferies09 View Post
    Because they have eleventy billion starting pitchers ahead of him.
    I see 4, but who is counting.

Leave a comment:

• gregjefferies09
    replied
    I wouldn't want to shake up this week's Delgado reminder thread with some baseball, but just for shits and giggles, if Delgado had a good year last year by his standards, why would the Angels deal Santana for him?

Santana is only 24 no where year free agency and despite his being hurt last year has far more promise and value to the Angels future no matter how they approach him than trading him for Delgado in 2008.
    Because they have eleventy billion starting pitchers ahead of him.

Leave a comment:

• 15 Day DL Alou
    replied
    I wouldn't want to shake up this week's Delgado reminder thread with some baseball, but just for shits and giggles, if Delgado had a good year last year by his standards, why would the Angels deal Santana for him?

Santana is only 24 no where year free agency and despite his being hurt last year has far more promise and value to the Angels future no matter how they approach him than trading him for Delgado in 2008.

Leave a comment:

• Voodoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulie Cee View Post
    At least the rock doesn't shake it's a$$ during the National Anthem.
    The rock also has what looks like the outline of a pirate in the middle of it. And pirates are cool.

Leave a comment:

• Paulie Cee
    replied
    Originally posted by KingOlerud View Post
    At least the rock doesn't shake it's a$$ during the National Anthem.

Leave a comment:

• Kid A
    replied
    Originally posted by Green Must Go View Post
    If you compare the booing of Beltran in his first season vs. Delgado booing last year, I think Beltran got the raw deal. In no way do I expect Delgado to bounce back in 08 like Beltran did his second year with the Mets:

2005 Beltran .266 .330 .414 16 HR 78 RBIs
    2006 Beltran .275 .388 .594 33 112

2007 Delcrappo .258 .333 .448 24 87
    2008 Delcrappo ? ? ? ? ? ?

BTW - if you look at long term stats (he averaged > 37 Hrs a year over previous 9 years), it would indicate that 2007 was the anomaly, and that he should bounce back in 2008. But after seeing him flailing at pitches and weekly grounding into the shift over and over again last year, I have little confidence that he can bounce back. Something is lacking in his swing. Hopefully he was playing injured and has recovered in the offseason. If he were to hit .270 30 100 this year, it would be a huge boost to this team.
    Beltran hit 41 HRs 116 RBI in 2006, and I would attribute some of the success to the guy protecting him in the line up, Carlos Delgado.

I wouldnt expect to see Delgado rip 40 HRs in 2008, but 33-35 is not out of the question if he is healthy. Agree with BRD, I still wouldnt excersize that option...I only wish they had a 1B in the minors ready to come up soon.

Leave a comment:

• No.1
    replied
    Originally posted by Green Must Go View Post
    Not to mention Delcrappo makes $10M more a year than Reyes.
    Reyes is an example folks, but there were MORE people responsible that get less heat than others. Yeah Delgado deserves heat, but c'mon.

Leave a comment:

• KingOlerud
    replied
    Originally posted by Wright 5 View Post
    Which is why he gets so much bashing here. A certain contingent of posters here do not like his politics.
    Stop it. He's a cretinous team malignancy and it's finally coming to light. Politics is the least of his problems... it just happened to be the most evident.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X