No announcement yet.

Since the image will never go away...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mientkiewicz actually signed with Pittsburgh.

The Mets are stuck with Delgado for 2008. Maybe they'll make a play for Teixeira in the offseason, maybe they will go the trade route, but keeping Delgado for 2009 is actually a possibility. Delgado's option is for $12 million if it doesn't vest, and $4 million of that is guaranteed as a buy-out, so the option is effectively only for $8 million. If the Mets don't have any other solid 1B choices and the Jihadist puts up a decent season he might actually be asked to stick around.
    My bone bruise is only at 79.52%.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorRanger35 View Post
      Mientkiewicz actually signed with Pittsburgh.

The Mets are stuck with Delgado for 2008. Maybe they'll make a play for Teixeira in the offseason, maybe they will go the trade route, but keeping Delgado for 2009 is actually a possibility. Delgado's option is for $12 million if it doesn't vest, and $4 million of that is guaranteed as a buy-out, so the option is effectively only for $8 million. If the Mets don't have any other solid 1B choices and the Jihadist puts up a decent season he might actually be asked to stick around.
      His option is for $16M, he is guaranteed $4M no matter what from the Mets. The difference being $12M not $8M.

Comment

Originally posted by 15 Day DL Alou View Post
        His option is for $16M, he is guaranteed $4M no matter what from the Mets. The difference being $12M not $8M.
        These links make it seem that the option is for $16M if it vests and $12M if it doesn't ($4M buyout either way):

Cot's Baseball Contracts: New York Mets
        ESPN - Mets, Orioles lose out on first baseman - MLB

Now, is Delgado worth what is effectively $8M for an extra year? IMO, it largely depends on how he plays in 2008.
        My bone bruise is only at 79.52%.

Comment

Originally posted by 15 Day DL Alou View Post
          I see 4, but who is counting.
          Basing it off the fact that the Angles want more power, and though we may not see the minor leaguers ahead of him, all LA publications point to him being pushed to the bullpen.

Fact is, they tried to get Konerko, and couldn't get him straight up for Santana... the Sox wanted more. Delgado seems like a good alternative, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Hojo of 1991 View Post
            Basing it off the fact that the Angles want more power, and though we may not see the minor leaguers ahead of him, all LA publications point to him being pushed to the bullpen.

Fact is, they tried to get Konerko, and couldn't get him straight up for Santana... the Sox wanted more. Delgado seems like a good alternative, no?
            No he isn't. Konerko is still a good hitter and is looked as a good leader as well. The fact that Escobar is hurt again and will miss the first month of the season likely means they aren't moving Santana in any deal soon.
            For the Wright haters. Wright's career numbers with runners on 2nd and 3rd
            .343/.481/.600 /1.081

Runner on 3rd, less than 2 out
            .419/.431/.671/1.102

Comment

Originally posted by MajorRanger35 View Post
              These links make it seem that the option is for $16M if it vests and $12M if it doesn't ($4M buyout either way):

Cot's Baseball Contracts: New York Mets
              ESPN - Mets, Orioles lose out on first baseman - MLB

Now, is Delgado worth what is effectively $8M for an extra year? IMO, it largely depends on how he plays in 2008.
              I thought the vesting was dropped as part of the trade, but perhaps not, nevertheless if his option does not vest, I don't think that is going to be because he hit 35+ HR with 115+ RBI and the Mets got lucky and he did not finish in the top 10 in MVP voting (which is just a guess where the vesting is)

If his option does not vest, I would guess he did no better and perhaps worse than 2007 at which point he should be bought out.

Comment

Damnit.... of course Ervin is lighting the AL on fire now....

Comment

Working...
                X