No announcement yet.

Since the image will never go away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you compare the booing of Beltran in his first season vs. Delgado booing last year, I think Beltran got the raw deal. In no way do I expect Delgado to bounce back in 08 like Beltran did his second year with the Mets:

2005 Beltran .266 .330 .414 16 HR 78 RBIs
    2006 Beltran .275 .388 .594 33 112

2007 Delcrappo .258 .333 .448 24 87
    2008 Delcrappo ? ? ? ? ? ?

BTW - if you look at long term stats (he averaged > 37 Hrs a year over previous 9 years), it would indicate that 2007 was the anomaly, and that he should bounce back in 2008. But after seeing him flailing at pitches and weekly grounding into the shift over and over again last year, I have little confidence that he can bounce back. Something is lacking in his swing. Hopefully he was playing injured and has recovered in the offseason. If he were to hit .270 30 100 this year, it would be a huge boost to this team.
    Last edited by Green Must Go; 02-11-2008, 04:24 PM.
    The 2018 Mets - making the Titanic look buoyant.

Comment

Delgado will hit into a double play, ground out into the shift, and not bend or stretch for a misthrown ball before he gets an extra base hit.

Reyes will also dance his way into the batter's box for his first at-bat.
      Originally posted by lgm6986
      Standard definition should be outlawed. My daughter was just watching iCarly a little while ago, a show that I absolutely loathe, in SD and I made her switch to its HD equivalent. In fact, I didn't make her, I grabbed the remote from her tiny hand and changed it myself. Standard definition is barbaric and inhumane.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Must Go View Post
        If you compare the booing of Beltran in his first season vs. Delgado booing last year, I think Beltran got the raw deal. In no way do I expect Delgado to bounce back in 08 like Beltran did his second year with the Mets:

BTW - if you look at long term stats (he averaged > 37 Hrs a year over previous 9 years), it would indicate that 2007 was the anomaly, and that he should bounce back in 2008. But after seeing him flailing at pitches and weekly grounding into the shift over and over again last year, I have little confidence that he can bounce back. Something is lacking in his swing. Hopefully he was playing injured and has recovered in the offseason. If he were to hit .270 30 100 this year, it would be a huge boost to this team.
        I read in one of the various newspaper '08 previews that Willie himself has said that Delgado needs to change his approach to ABs and acknowledge that he can no longer turn on heat up and in.

As far as what Delgado deserves, the majority of the ire is deserved as it's not only based upon his lack of production but the lack of effort. The poor stats would likely be given a greater pass if he was to be seen giving it his all on the field, but the laziness was nowhere more evident than in his defense. In '06 even you would see him diving for balls and at least attempting to make a difficult play, but the season past staying upright and feebly waving his glove at a ball 2 feet to his left was more the norm. THAT is why he's getting a lot of heat, especially as he was like it all season long. Throw in the goofy comments and it's no surprise he's public enemy number one. For contrast, Beltran was seen busting his bad knees on all kinds of difficult all out defensive plays down the stretch even though he wasn't setting the world afire with his bat (and he had totally carried the team for a stretch early in the year) - hence the general lack of animosity despite his one time bugbear status and high salary.

In regards to Reyes being more deserving - he may have taken the asshattery to higher standards at times, especially in September but I would imagine people still see him as being much younger and are willing to give him time to (finally) mature and bounce back, whereas Delgado is a veteran who should know better, and certainly should not be encouraging Reyes going all Patrick Swayze every AB. Patience with Reyes will not last much longer I would wager.
        "There have been artists who have failed to capture dichotomy as beautifully as the Mets have in playing Wilmer Flores at shortstop and Juan Lagares in center field."

Comment

Originally posted by KingOlerud View Post
          Of course he has. He's their America Hatin' Hero.
          Which is why he gets so much bashing here. A certain contingent of posters here do not like his politics.

I expect Delgado to return to 2006 form at least. He was injured most of last year, and had to play because Franco was his back up.
          Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce
          All I know is we got some butter and salt for that popcorn

Comment

Originally posted by Wright 5 View Post
            Which is why he gets so much bashing here. A certain contingent of posters here do not like his politics.

I expect Delgado to return to 2006 form at least. He was injured most of last year, and had to play because Franco was his back up.
            For me, his effort, boredom, approach... all sucked, that plus IMO, he is fading.

This should be his last season with the Mets. He's got that option for 16 million, which the mets would be nuts to pick up, no matter how he performs this season. I think he ends up somewhere between 2006 and 2007 numbers... decent, but his days as a serious bat threat are numbered. Even Willie admits that Delgado has to change his approach, as he can no longer turn on inside heat.

I don't know who is available, but it would probably behoove the Mets to find some decent righty 1B to back up Delgado.

Also something to chew on... it looked to me like Delgado had thinned out somewhat as the season progressed. HGH, perhaps?
            Last edited by Bay Ridge Dave; 02-11-2008, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bay Ridge Dave View Post
              This should be his last season with the Mets. He's got that option for 16 million, which the mets would be nuts to pick up, no matter how he performs this season.
              I agree with this...
              Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce
              All I know is we got some butter and salt for that popcorn

Comment

Originally posted by Led, the Revenge View Post
                In regards to Reyes being more deserving - he may have taken the asshattery to higher standards at times, especially in September but I would imagine people still see him as being much younger and are willing to give him time to (finally) mature and bounce back, whereas Delgado is a veteran who should know better, and certainly should not be encouraging Reyes going all Patrick Swayze every AB. Patience with Reyes will not last much longer I would wager.
                Not to mention Delcrappo makes $10M more a year than Reyes.
                The 2018 Mets - making the Titanic look buoyant.

Comment

Originally posted by Wright 5 View Post
                  Stop it. He's a cretinous team malignancy and it's finally coming to light. Politics is the least of his problems... it just happened to be the most evident.

Comment

Not to mention Delcrappo makes $10M more a year than Reyes.
                    Reyes is an example folks, but there were MORE people responsible that get less heat than others. Yeah Delgado deserves heat, but c'mon.

Comment

Beltran hit 41 HRs 116 RBI in 2006, and I would attribute some of the success to the guy protecting him in the line up, Carlos Delgado.

I wouldnt expect to see Delgado rip 40 HRs in 2008, but 33-35 is not out of the question if he is healthy. Agree with BRD, I still wouldnt excersize that option...I only wish they had a 1B in the minors ready to come up soon.
                      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Almost Famous

I sleep underneath a picture that I keep of you next to me
                      I realize we're magnetized - WILCO

Comment

Originally posted by KingOlerud View Post
                        At least the rock doesn't shake it's a$$ during the National Anthem.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie Cee View Post
                          At least the rock doesn't shake it's a$$ during the National Anthem.
                          The rock also has what looks like the outline of a pirate in the middle of it. And pirates are cool.

Comment

I wouldn't want to shake up this week's Delgado reminder thread with some baseball, but just for shits and giggles, if Delgado had a good year last year by his standards, why would the Angels deal Santana for him?

Santana is only 24 no where year free agency and despite his being hurt last year has far more promise and value to the Angels future no matter how they approach him than trading him for Delgado in 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by 15 Day DL Alou View Post
                              I wouldn't want to shake up this week's Delgado reminder thread with some baseball, but just for shits and giggles, if Delgado had a good year last year by his standards, why would the Angels deal Santana for him?

Santana is only 24 no where year free agency and despite his being hurt last year has far more promise and value to the Angels future no matter how they approach him than trading him for Delgado in 2008.
                              Because they have eleventy billion starting pitchers ahead of him.

Comment

Originally posted by gregjefferies09 View Post
                                Because they have eleventy billion starting pitchers ahead of him.
                                I see 4, but who is counting.

Comment

Working...
                                X