Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#5 starter sleeper candidate I want you all to root for...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #5 starter sleeper candidate I want you all to root for...

The Official Site of Major League Baseball: News: Notes: Figueroa reaps winter rewards

Nelson and I played High School ball together at Lincoln in Brooklyn. He was signed by the Mets, but traded along with Gilkey for Willie Blair way back when. He is over some arm issues and I think he could really help the club. I caught him and his pitches moved like no others I ever batted against. Lets cheer on the local guy...
    "Goaltender is a normal job. Sure. How would you like it if at your job, every time you made the slightest mistake a little red light went on over your head and 18,000 people stood up and screamed at you?" - Jaques Plante, goalie

Does he know what happened to WTC 7?

But seriously, it would be nice to see a local guy make it.
    NickPapagiorgio Posting Alert System (current status): Green

Comment

Originally posted by Deepleft34 View Post
      The Official Site of Major League Baseball: News: Notes: Figueroa reaps winter rewards

Nelson and I played High School ball together at Lincoln in Brooklyn. He was signed by the Mets, but traded along with Gilkey for Willie Blair way back when. He is over some arm issues and I think he could really help the club. I caught him and his pitches moved like no others I ever batted against. Lets cheer on the local guy...
      That will not happen! Hopefully El Duque get's bounced to the pen and Pelfrey wins the #5 spot. Figueroa sucks!
      WWW.MYSPACE.COM/THOSEHIPPOCRITES

Comment

Friendship aside, I would rather have Pelfrey have a full season in the Minors. Duque can be #5 and Nelson the long man. If his arm is right, he could be a fantastic pick up. He was hitting 90's in High School with some serious movement. Nasty curveball as well.
        "Goaltender is a normal job. Sure. How would you like it if at your job, every time you made the slightest mistake a little red light went on over your head and 18,000 people stood up and screamed at you?" - Jaques Plante, goalie

Comment

Figueroa was once a Mets top prospect. He has bounced around a lot since that Arizona trade and has gotten a AAA journeyman reputation. He's never put together a strong enough season at the AAA level to warrant prolonged major league exposure. That's not to say I'm not rooting for him, but his chances are pretty slim unless we have some serious injuries. We've got a lot of depth fighting for bullpen spots - the pen seems pretty set with Wagner, Sanchez, Heilman, Feliciano, Schoeneweis, Jorge Sosa, and Matt Wise likely to be the seven-man pen. Sosa would be the most likely long reliever. Joe Smith and Juan Padilla are right behind those seven on the depth chart.

Comment

He was a strong enough prospect to be included in the ARZ-PHI Schilling trade at one point...but your right, he hasn't really put it together. That said, he has been battling arm ailments since 2002 and this is the first time in a while that he is healthy.

I just hope he opens some eyes and makes it difficult, but good, problem for the Mets to have.

Comment

I prefer to root for Nelson's younger brother Nicky. I am partial to the younger, lesser heralded brother. That is why I root for Eli and hope Nicky Hilton has a sex tape soon.
              BBBV!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shooter Mcgavin View Post
                That will not happen! Hopefully El Duque get's bounced to the pen and Pelfrey wins the #5 spot. Figueroa sucks!
                I think it would be for the best if Pelfrey spent the first few months in the minors. I don't think Duque can deal with the rigors of being in the pen. I agree on Figueroa the guy should have zero chance of making the team.
                For the Wright haters. Wright's career numbers with runners on 2nd and 3rd
                .343/.481/.600 /1.081

Runner on 3rd, less than 2 out
                .419/.431/.671/1.102

Comment

Originally posted by Deepleft34 View Post
                  Friendship aside, I would rather have Pelfrey have a full season in the Minors. Duque can be #5 and Nelson the long man. If his arm is right, he could be a fantastic pick up. He was hitting 90's in High School with some serious movement. Nasty curveball as well.
                  Al Bundy was scoring 4 touchdowns in one game in High School. So what is your point? David West was once a big time prospect and we know how he turned out. I will be fair and say at least David had one good year in the Phils pen which is better than Nelson has done.
                  .343/.481/.600 /1.081

.419/.431/.671/1.102

Comment

Originally posted by Gold Glove View Post
                    Figueroa was once a Mets top prospect. He has bounced around a lot since that Arizona trade and has gotten a AAA journeyman reputation. He's never put together a strong enough season at the AAA level to warrant prolonged major league exposure. That's not to say I'm not rooting for him, but his chances are pretty slim unless we have some serious injuries. We've got a lot of depth fighting for bullpen spots - the pen seems pretty set with Wagner, Sanchez, Heilman, Feliciano, Schoeneweis, Jorge Sosa, and Matt Wise likely to be the seven-man pen. Sosa would be the most likely long reliever. Joe Smith and Juan Padilla are right behind those seven on the depth chart.
                    Padilla isn't even healthy enough to pitch in Spring training and you've got him listed as insurance? I highly doubt he ever throws another Major League pitch.
                    .343/.481/.600 /1.081

.419/.431/.671/1.102

Comment

This dude is officially BLOCKED!
                      The 2018 Mets - making the Titanic look buoyant.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Must Go View Post
                        This dude is officially BLOCKED!
                        The hell do we need a $150 million dollar pitcher for anyways?
                        2015 NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
                        2016 NATIONAL LEAGUE WILD CARD WINNER

Comment

The Mets got killed last year and the year before when their C-list of pitching options (Lawrence, Dave Williams, Humber, Park, Lima, Jeremi Gonzalez) couldn't even keep the Mets in a game. There's no reason not to root for Nelson Figueroa to at least make himself a serviceable pitching option. I hope it works out for him and the Mets.
                          Originally posted by Busyman, September 28, 2008
                          1. Fire Omar
                          2. Re-hire Omar so you can fire him again
                          3. Literally set Omar on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by graves9 View Post
                            Al Bundy was scoring 4 touchdowns in one game in High School. So what is your point? David West was once a big time prospect and we know how he turned out. I will be fair and say at least David had one good year in the Phils pen which is better than Nelson has done.
                            I disagree. While his stats may say different, I had a chance to watch most of his games. He pitched for some bad teams and got some tough luck. He is a quality guy that I feel got a bad rap...but we shall see.

Comment

Figueroa looked good in that outing on SNY, but couldn't really put anyone away against questionable competition. It's been his biggest problem everytime he gets a shot at the bigs (about 1.5/1 K/BB ratio career). His numbers reek of AAAA guy, which is actually quite valuable to the Mets right now. If he and Armas will accept assignments they can replace Mulvey and Humber in NO, and allow Parnell a chance to keep developing at Binghamton...
                              "Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him."

Comment

Working...
                              X