No announcement yet.

Reports out that this Santana thing will be done within 10 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guerrero was never coming to New York, get over it, the Mets were cautious about that prospective move for the very right reason, his agent was looking to push the envelope on the Angels bid.

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat View Post
      Well one way or another this offseason and likely the next 3-5 years for this team swings on Santana. Without him this offseason is likely a failure....while I wont go so far as to say the Mets team is worse than last year I dont think anyone can say they are significantly better....and for a team that suffered the worst collapse in ML history, I would think getting significantly better should be the goal.
      Agreed completely - and looking at the attitude they should be taking, one only has to look at Detroit. In 2006 they got were the Mets SHOULD have been, fell back to 88 wins this season and go full out to bring in impact players to make themselves an upper echelon team again. THEY clearly felt 88 wins wasn't good enough and didn't console themselves with platitudes about coulda shoulda woulda if onlys.

A frontline pitcher was needed, as was genuine work on the bullpen. Neither has (thus far) happened. No Santana, and the offseason should be considered a bust. A big market team should not be content with standing pat, unless they are willing to come out and say they are focusing on youth and sticking to it, i.e., no Milledge type deals.
      "There have been artists who have failed to capture dichotomy as beautifully as the Mets have in playing Wilmer Flores at shortstop and Juan Lagares in center field."

Comment

Originally posted by Mex17 View Post
        I'm glad you mentioned it so that I can report the following:

In 2005, Vlad only played 120 out of 141 games in the field.
        In 2006, it was 126 out of 156.
        In 2007, it was 108 out of 150.

Guess those concerns about his back and not having the DH as a crutch in the National League were valid, weren't they?
        yeah because right field has been MUCH better for us the past 5 years, while Vlad is hitting over 30 homers and driving in 100 every year. Even trying to argue against Vlad is assinine right now Mex.

Comment

Originally posted by Sports Doctor View Post
          yeah because right field has been MUCH better for us the past 5 years, while Vlad is hitting over 30 homers and driving in 100 every year. Even trying to argue against Vlad is assinine right now Mex.
          HE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN PUTTING THOSE NUMBERS UP FOR US IF HE WAS ONLY PLAYING 120 GAMES A YEAR BECAUSE HE HAS A BAD BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I apologize for cyber yelling but it's a little frustrating when I give you numbers purporting that what the precise concern was at the time more or less happened and what I get back is the same old argument. People here would be hating this guy if he signed here for huge $$$ only to be absent that much. Look at how much Alou being out like that hurt the team last year.
          Last edited by Mex17; 01-28-2008, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Plus if we had Vlad in right feild we could of traded Miledge long ago when he had value.

Comment

Vlad was on his way until that generous 1 yr offer with 4 years of incentives. Hell I think the Mets offered Luis Castillo more guarenteed years than vladdy
              Hell they gave senior citizen El Duque more years. In fairness though if Omar was Gm of the team back then Vlad would have probally been a Met.

Comment

Originally posted by metboy98 View Post
                Plus if we had Vlad in right feild we could of traded Miledge long ago when he had value.
                It's COULD HAVE YOU *******.
                Your Daily Rayne Summers Moment...
                http://www.leasticoulddo.com/

Mitt Romney SUCKS.

Comment

Originally posted by Led, the Revenge View Post
                  Agreed completely - and looking at the attitude they should be taking, one only has to look at Detroit. In 2006 they got were the Mets SHOULD have been, fell back to 88 wins this season and go full out to bring in impact players to make themselves an upper echelon team again. THEY clearly felt 88 wins wasn't good enough and didn't console themselves with platitudes about coulda shoulda woulda if onlys.

A frontline pitcher was needed, as was genuine work on the bullpen. Neither has (thus far) happened. No Santana, and the offseason should be considered a bust. A big market team should not be content with standing pat, unless they are willing to come out and say they are focusing on youth and sticking to it, i.e., no Milledge type deals.
                  Exactly....had they done nothing, let Milledge sit in RF, hand over a spot to Pelfrey, give Gotay a shot at 2B knowing they could fall back to Easley, Anderson, Valentin or at absolute worst AH, and said - ok well there was nothing out there that we felt was worth pursuing and our goal is going to build from within. We have confidence Lastings, Pelfrey, ect will be apart of our future. At least I could see the point in that, even if I didnt agree.

Trading away Milledge, talking about purging the farm for Santana while at the same time basically saying if they fail there the goal is to bring in Livan instead, all while doing virtually nothing to improve the pen, and bringing back some veterans for long term deals. Its just a mish-mash of events that remind me a lot more of how Jim Duquette ran this club. 1/2 the moves have been for now...1/2 are saying look to the future. Pick a direction and go....this sitting on the fence thing ends up leading to disasters that take years (or significant $$) to recover from. If the goal is to be a contender for 2008 then Santana should be a Met if he goes anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                  X