Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orioles Deny Reported Bedard Trade to Seattle (Baltimore Sun)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orioles Deny Reported Bedard Trade to Seattle (Baltimore Sun)

MacPhail denies reported Bedard trade -- baltimoresun.com

Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail said tonight that the club has not agreed to trade ace pitcher Erik Bedard to the Seattle Mariners for a package headed by young center fielder Adam Jones, despite reports that a deal is done.

"We do not have an agreement with the Mariners," MacPhail said.

The speculation started after Jones was ordered by the Mariners to stop playing for his Venezuelan winter league team in the playoffs. The 22-year-old told a reporter in Venezuela that he was headed to Baltimore to get a physical because he was traded to the Orioles in a Bedard deal.

"GM [Bill Bavasi] called me yesterday and told me the news. I've got to go to Baltimore tomorrow morning and handle things there," Jones told a reporter from Diario Panorama in Venezuela. "I'm the centerpiece of the deal on the Mariners side. It's an honor to get traded for such a highly talented pitcher as Bedard is. He's one of the best. Last year, he finished up as an arguably one of the top candidates for the Cy Young. He's that good, so for me it's an honor. You know, I like Seattle, but if I am in Baltimore, as I think now I am, I'm going to embrace it and have the best time of my life in Major League Baseball."

MacPhail said Jones is not coming to Baltimore for a physical.

Wow, what a clusterf&ck. So you have a player being told he was traded, but the trade didn't go down? Another Angelos screw job?
    I guess if liberals didn't have double standards, they wouldn't have any standards at all

Comment

deny deny deny...deny it until it is official

Comment

If this deal falls through, Omar better pick up the phone to Balti. If Adam Jones was the centerpiece, we could probably get Bedard for three top prospects (Gomez or Martinez, Humber or Pelfrey, Guerra or someone else). Hell, Bedard could work out better for us if we can throw them 3 prospects, tack on a year or two to his contract, and sign a big FA for 2009 without losing 4-6 prospects the Twins are asking for.
        2015 NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
        2016 NATIONAL LEAGUE WILD CARD WINNER

Comment

I would love to see the Mets somehow get Bedard, then have the Twins get stuck with Santana and only get draft picks.
          "Being with a woman all night never hurt no professional baseball player. It's staying up all night looking for a woman that does him in."- Casey Stengel

Comment

Working...
          X