Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Santana - Boston Herald - Church included in deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 15 Day DL Alou View Post
    based on what? your perception? which is fine, but I imagine the Mets were circling a lot of wagons on options to see who would be available and what interest there was in specific prospects.

no one is suiting Schnieder up for the hall of fame, nor Church, but they got significantly younger at two of their starting positions, and right or wrong time will tell, this team decided it was now or never to part with Milledge, they were not giving him the rightfield job at Shea

Not sure I agree with that. Willie already gave Milledge the starting job towards the end of the 07 season...why would he not be their top choice to be there in 08?

IMO it was the catching situation that caused this more than any thoughts towards Milledge not being their RFer...the Mets didnt want anything to do with LoDuca, the Torrealba thing blew up at the last second, and for whatever reason they didnt want Estrada either. The O's were being the O's with Hernandez...and the rest of the FAs were terrible.

Despite Omar's attempts to make it seem different (when from the moment the Mota deal went down, the papers called it that he was never going to offer arb) he was desperate for a catcher and went back to what he knew....the price to get that done just happened to be Milledge....the Nats were able to hold him hostage for that.

As for Milledge's trade value, even if it was down the crapper (tho from every report I've read, I never saw one saying this was a "fair" deal or the Mets maximized his trade value) the trade was made for all the wrong reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by 15 Day DL Alou View Post
      I would not say you were ridiculed Frank, but you do live by the mantra trade anything breathing in the farm system.

I suspect there is some probability that when Milledge's name was hooked to guys like Ramirez and Oswalt, that was more wishful rumor than reality in hindsight.
      A LOT of that is schtick to incite MOFO riots. I was and am Pelfrey's biggest supporter. Hell, I wanted him to skip the minors entirely based on my familiarity with his college work. The ONLY guys I'd want to trade him for are guys like Santana or offensive future Hall-of-Famers/current superstars still in their primes.

Milledge, on the other hand, was someone that I specifically predicted would fall of the charts and NEEDED to be dumped ASAP. "Oh, he's going to be a super-duper star! You're a racist! You're not giving him a chance!!"

He had no work ethic and a horrible personal makeup. However, even I think that the Mets would have been better off keeping him as even a 4th OF than picking up $10,000,000 in salary and the dreck that they got for him.

Tell me, would the Mets have been better off with 3 months of Barry Zito, including the playoffs, AND 2 extra high draft picks than Milledge and Heilman? (and, if you notice, I was assuming that he'd leave in December, as that contract was ridiculous even BEFORE he shat himself last season.)
      Your Daily Rayne Summers Moment...
      http://www.leasticoulddo.com/

Mitt Romney SUCKS.

Comment

I have to say, Franks in a great situation.

He can say whatever he wants since if people disagree with him he can claim it's just his schtick.

It's getting to the point where it's not even worth the time to debate an issue with him since you don't know if he's just screwing around or is actually serious about his posts.

Comment

Originally posted by dak11 View Post
          I have to say, Franks in a great situation.

He can say whatever he wants since if people disagree with him he can claim it's just his schtick.

It's getting to the point where it's not even worth the time to debate an issue with him since you don't know if he's just screwing around or is actually serious about his posts.

A lot of my topics are meant to incite riots, (who gets the most responses to thread starts??, oh, and check the GDF), my arguments/discussions are usually from the heart. I do, admittedly, believe that you should take 1 definitely over 4 maybes.

How about if I point out the difference in each of my posts?

I'll use (s) or (g) for schtick or genuine.

How's that? Would that work for you?

Your Daily Rayne Summers Moment...
          http://www.leasticoulddo.com/

Mitt Romney SUCKS.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankStylV7 View Post
            A LOT of that is schtick to incite MOFO riots. I was and am Pelfrey's biggest supporter. Hell, I wanted him to skip the minors entirely based on my familiarity with his college work. The ONLY guys I'd want to trade him for are guys like Santana or offensive future Hall-of-Famers/current superstars still in their primes.

Milledge, on the other hand, was someone that I specifically predicted would fall of the charts and NEEDED to be dumped ASAP. "Oh, he's going to be a super-duper star! You're a racist! You're not giving him a chance!!"

He had no work ethic and a horrible personal makeup. However, even I think that the Mets would have been better off keeping him as even a 4th OF than picking up $10,000,000 in salary and the dreck that they got for him.

Tell me, would the Mets have been better off with 3 months of Barry Zito, including the playoffs, AND 2 extra high draft picks than Milledge and Heilman? (and, if you notice, I was assuming that he'd leave in December, as that contract was ridiculous even BEFORE he shat himself last season.)
            Frank...I know it is mostly schtick...chill my man, I am aboslutely NOT saying you were wrong on Milledge, and as for Zito for Milledge rumors, my preference was the Oswalt rumor, but I suspect in hindsight none of those rumors ever had much juice.

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat View Post
              Not sure I agree with that. Willie already gave Milledge the starting job towards the end of the 07 season...why would he not be their top choice to be there in 08?

He did not give him the starting job, he was not playing everyday, in fact Green actually got some playing time back toward the end

IMO it was the catching situation that caused this more than any thoughts towards Milledge not being their RFer...the Mets didnt want anything to do with LoDuca, the Torrealba thing blew up at the last second, and for whatever reason they didnt want Estrada either. The O's were being the O's with Hernandez...and the rest of the FAs were terrible.

of course the catching situation had an impact on it, but lets not get misleading on LoDuca, the guy wanted a 4 year deal at age 35 coming off a weak season save for a month and then who were his suitors? And how long was his deal? I think the Mets would have been happy to give LoDuca a one year deal, but that was not in the cards.

Despite Omar's attempts to make it seem different (when from the moment the Mota deal went down, the papers called it that he was never going to offer arb) he was desperate for a catcher and went back to what he knew....the price to get that done just happened to be Milledge....the Nats were able to hold him hostage for that.

who cares about the Mota situation other than Minaya managed to trade a guy who was going to make $3M for a guy he was able to release without a financial loss. He got a decent hitting lefty bat with a good glove and a catcher, might not have been what anyone hoped for Milledge but that was his value to the Mets right now, could backfire, time will tell

As for Milledge's trade value, even if it was down the crapper (tho from every report I've read, I never saw one saying this was a "fair" deal or the Mets maximized his trade value) the trade was made for all the wrong reasons.

never said they maximized his trade value, I said this might have been its zenith at this point and time, could they have gotten more a year ago? one year from now? maybe, maybe not

Comment

Floyd Willie specifically said Milledge would get the bulk of the playing time and Green would be his backup around the middle of august and he was out there every day. It was only after Lastings got the flu and Green suddenly started swinging a hot bat in Sept that the playing time more or less equaled out.... In the end Lastings had more ABs than Green in the 2nd half. So to say that they had no giving him the RF job for this season is a load of crap IMO. He was out there pretty much every day the whole second 1/2.

of course the catching situation had an impact on it, but lets not get misleading on LoDuca, the guy wanted a 4 year deal at age 35 coming off a weak season save for a month and then who were his suitors? And how long was his deal? I think the Mets would have been happy to give LoDuca a one year deal, but that was not in the cards.
                I dont care about LoDuca so I'm not misleading on that at all, I wanted the guy gone.....my only point was Omar had painted himself into a corner. LoDuca was off the table for the Mets. Posada, despite the whining and dining efforts was never leaving the Yanks. The only FA even worth taking a second glance at, Torrealba, fell apart. The O's were being typical jerks about Omar's next favorite target in Hernandez. He wanted nothing to do with keeping Estrada so his options in this area became extremely limited. Omar doesnt like to be kept waiting (see the previous Hernandez/Molina instead trade for LoDuca) situation so he ran out to see if his buddy from Washington could be had. The price was high, but rather than waiting to see what would happen in the market and risk having to "settle" for Castro + some all defense/no hit catcher he overpaid. This was a trade made, not to significantly improve the talent on the team, but to fill a hole....

never said they maximized his trade value, I said this might have been its zenith at this point and time, could they have gotten more a year ago? one year from now? maybe, maybe not
                Might have been...doubtful it was. But thats not the point.... in all honesty was this trade of a young player with high upside made to exploit his value on the market or was this a move made in a panic to fill a spot with few desirable options available? IMO it was the later and thats a horrible reason to make a trade....it stinks of the same kind of crap that Izzy for Taylor, Kazmir for Zambrano, ect did. Does it end up looking as bad as either of those? Doubtful, but they too were moves made to fill a hole rather than from a pure talent standpoint.

Comment

Flu or no flu, foot or no foot, Washington or no Washington, Milledge was not going to play right field for the New York Mets. It was not in the cards, Willie did what with Milledge what most people mythologically thought he did with Wright. Bury him, deep within the outer circles of sight.

Comment

Working...
                  X